Wiki Posts
Search

FLL SFO/LAX This fall

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2005, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: US1
FLL SFO/LAX This fall

According to one of my friends who works for US FLL SFO and LAX SFO will start this fall. BWI FLL PVD FLL EWR FLL are suppose to resume. US has applied for FLL POS and a couple of other carib desitnations.

Now can you please bring our clubs back. (LAX/SFO) Maybe HP will
Old May 4, 2005, 11:50 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Will there be aircraft used with enough F seats, or will it be the 8 F seat 757s, where 2 seats go to pilots going to work, 2 are stolen by the government for air marshals, and the remaining 4 bulkhead seats are sold to FL retirees?
Old May 4, 2005, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by Spiff
Will there be aircraft used with enough F seats, or will it be the 8 F seat 757s, where 2 seats go to pilots going to work, 2 are stolen by the government for air marshals, and the remaining 4 bulkhead seats are sold to FL retirees?
LOL! Spiff.
Old May 4, 2005, 4:41 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
In light of the extra 10 planes going back, I wonder where they are going to get the mainline metal to do all of this flying?
Old May 4, 2005, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
I think they'll just fly it on a Beechcraft 1900 with several refueling stops.
Old May 4, 2005, 5:31 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Another question will be whether I can do BOS-FLL-SFO as a standard flight. That's a whole bunch of addtl miles for the trip...
Old May 4, 2005, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by ClueByFour
In light of the extra 10 planes going back, I wonder where they are going to get the mainline metal to do all of this flying?

Most of the departed planes are probably being replaced by E170s. They've continued to add E170s in the first quarter. Not sure if more are coming on line later this year or not.
Old May 4, 2005, 9:46 pm
Suspended

Why would US add a route like FLL-LAX that has competition from a) AA with a hub on one end and a city-near-a-hub-with-significant-operations on the other and b) Song with significant operations on both ends.

FLL-SFO has more potential, but AA and Song would likely respond with non-stop flights.

FLL is a lost cause for US. There's too many seats from low fare carriers. Cut your losses and move out while you can.
Old May 4, 2005, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA; Amtrak
PVD, EWR, etc. I can understand but as with sxf24 I don't understand what market exactly they are chasing on LAX-FLL. Cocaine?

UA withdrew its LAX-MIA nonstops and left the business travelers to AA. As for leisure, while it's possible I'm unusual, I think I can count on one hand the number of vacations to Florida taken by all the people I knew in all my years growing up in SoCal. We had our own beaches (and Disney parks, pace MCO) and took cruises to Mexico instead of to the Caribbean; besides, if you want to get away, Hawaii and Mexico are shorter flights. And wouldn't those who do go to Florida for vaca take the cheaper 1-stop on Song or Ted?
Old May 4, 2005, 10:52 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by choster
PVD, EWR, etc. I can understand but as with sxf24 I don't understand what market exactly they are chasing on LAX-FLL. Cocaine?
US needs a huge infusion of cash. Hmm...
Old May 4, 2005, 11:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Spiff
US needs a huge infusion of cash. Hmm...
Great idea! US should start FLL-BOG to carry "special cargo."
Old May 4, 2005, 11:39 pm

Actually AA cut flights to LAX from FLL. The flights were always packed so the market is there. I stopped asking why AA does the things it does. But if US has a flight that leaves around 7am nonstop to LAX I think they would have a good shot. All the other flights leave later in the morning, or in the afternoon.
Old May 5, 2005, 12:06 am

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
They'll just combine flights when they run out of planes... like they did to mine tonight.

My 11pm CLT-JAX stopped in SAV to let off about 70 people (out of 105 total on the A321), putting us into JAX at the nice hour of 1:30am.... exactly what I wanted after a six-segment day that started at 7am (though that many flights in one day is my own fault).
Old May 5, 2005, 1:21 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by sxf24
Why would US add a route like FLL-LAX that has competition from a) AA with a hub on one end and a city-near-a-hub-with-significant-operations on the other and b) Song with significant operations on both ends.

FLL-SFO has more potential, but AA and Song would likely respond with non-stop flights.

FLL is a lost cause for US. There's too many seats from low fare carriers. Cut your losses and move out while you can.
Both have a lot of potential when you figure in connections to UA heading to Asia and connections to the Caribbean on US for West Coast passengers. For many in South Florida, FLL is a far easier airport to use and there is plenty of FLL-LAX traffic to boot, though yields aren't always the greatest.
Old May 5, 2005, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by sxf24
Great idea! US should start FLL-BOG to carry "special cargo."
ROFLOL............i guess it would be the "blow" fare express.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.