Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Us Merger Speculation Ramping Up Internally

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2005, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Post Us Merger Speculation Ramping Up Internally

Folks --

I hesitate to post this here, b/c I know I'll get flamed for not providing specifics, but hear me out first. Many of you know me as a long time poster who steers clear of the ugly stuff. That said, I hope you'll afford me some credit with the below posting and not blast me for adding only more rumor ......

I once worked for PI (Piedmont Airlines for those of you who don't get it) until about 16 years ago. It has pained me to see that great company and all the hard work that we poured into it go the way it has in the past 5 years. Although the vast bulk of my contacts and good friends there have since retired or quit, I still have a few close contacts who have worked their way up the food chain to fairly significant internal positions.

I spoke with my closest old friend there this afternoon and he told me that the word is HOT right now at senior US management (of which he is a member) that an impending merger is about to be announced involving the airline. If he knew more, he did not let on. Nevertheless, he nearly guaranteed me it would make news as early as a "few days away." I told him that word on FT had been speculation about America West -- he didn't comment.

So, I pass that along as a very real bit of info for you all to chew on. He's a straight shooter and so am I.

Additionally, should some legit merger ultimately take place -- it would essentially save this otherwise hopeless carrier from itself. 'Twill be most interesting to watch unfold .........
Old Apr 18, 2005, 5:23 pm

As much I really would like to believe you, I really doubt that anyone in senior management of a major corporation would leak inside information like that. Even US, I would think, trains its senior staff on the various SEC rules...

All you need is for the SEC to subpeona you, and your friend is toast. Assuming, of course, that there is a merger in the works.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 5:26 pm

Blah blah blah, he didn't really say anything that wasn't already on here. His friend didn't tell him any real info either.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Did he like his shade of lipstick?
Old Apr 18, 2005, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by haveric
As much I really would like to believe you, I really doubt that anyone in senior management of a major corporation would leak inside information like that. Even US, I would think, trains its senior staff on the various SEC rules...

All you need is for the SEC to subpeona you, and your friend is toast. Assuming, of course, that there is a merger in the works.
I understand your point about knowing SEC rules but there is a psychological desire of humanity that all of us have and that is to share the fact that we know more than you do. It has cost many executives dearly and thus a senior exec. leaking info to a former employee / friend is quite plausible.

As for the merger...I'm anixous but maybe a little excited. Don't know what an HP merger would do but it could actually improve service, esp. FC. While HP isn't known for surf and turf up front - they server stuff that's a hell of a lot better than IFC and comes in real glasses (I believe - correct me if I'm wrong). Only thing I hope is that any merger would keep US in the *A. I think if it's HP, they would. If it's UA, obviously. If it's AS, possibly. And if it's someone real random, then who knows.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Knew this would happen.

Now wishing I hadn't posting anything......

I did NOT say that anything was leaked and certainly no facts. I have no idea if any of this is going to happen and neither does my contact. He does NOT sit on the Board, for heaven's sake. But he's in a position to be very close to the action. Enough said.

What my point was is that there is significant BUZZ in their corporate environs that is feeding the flame of their own serious speculation about a merger around the corner.

I do not know the source of his info. It may be nothing more than a host of admin assistants reporting that their bosses have been tied up in closed door meetings for the past week and not taking calls, etc, etc. I have no idea.

Case closed. This came as exciting news to me. We'll all see what transpires in the days ahead. Quite possibly nothing.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 6:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
give him a break

Come on folks, cut sbtinme some slack. He was purposely very vague, and had a clear disclaimer to take everyone said with a grain of salt.

His contact didn't break any SEC regulations by telling a friend of a corporate rumor that is so widespread that we VERY third parties have been talking about it for weeks.

I, for one, appreciate the tidbit and am eager to see what unfolds.

I'm off to ART tonight.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 6:07 pm

Programs: US lowlife
Thx for the info sbintime! It'll be interesting no matter what unfolds, how it unfolds.

-JC
Old Apr 18, 2005, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Red face This is getting interesting.

Thanks for posting this. I'm wondering if anyone has spotted HP's CEO in CLT or US' CEO in PHX?

Originally Posted by haveric

Loosen up. Reread his post. There were no specifics mentioned. No SEC violations.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Member
Other than visiting our fair city, if CEOs were exchanging visits - there'd be no need for HP's CEO to visit us in CLT, considering that corporate HQ is in good ol' Arlington, VA. But if he wants to visit and contribute to the local economy - more power to him.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 6:41 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
If the ATSB allows HP to swallow US (particularly in light of the fact that America West has an ATSB loan), all taxpayers everywhere should scream.

America West and US have both coasts covered. They have nothing in the middle. This stellar combination, for those of you with long memories, is a large part of the reason why the PSA/US merger failed.

The other issue is this: United is not going to stand by and let HP into Star. They directly compete in all sorts of ways out west.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Red face Well....

If the ATSB allows HP to swallow US (particularly in light of the fact that America West has an ATSB loan), all taxpayers everywhere should scream.
I doubt HP is buying US with their own money. This is only going to happen with third parties.

The other issue is this: United is not going to stand by and let HP into Star.
That's not going to bother HP at all. You can't miss what you never had. Now you guys will definitely be affected.

They directly compete in all sorts of ways out west.
Well, UA could get smart, and partner with HP and stop losing money trying to imitate LCC's.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by sbtinme
Now wishing I hadn't posting anything......

I did NOT say that anything was leaked and certainly no facts. I have no idea if any of this is going to happen and neither does my contact. He does NOT sit on the Board, for heaven's sake. But he's in a position to be very close to the action. Enough said.

What my point was is that there is significant BUZZ in their corporate environs that is feeding the flame of their own serious speculation about a merger around the corner.

I do not know the source of his info. It may be nothing more than a host of admin assistants reporting that their bosses have been tied up in closed door meetings for the past week and not taking calls, etc, etc. I have no idea.

Case closed. This came as exciting news to me. We'll all see what transpires in the days ahead. Quite possibly nothing.
Thanks for posting. Don't let the detractors get to you. It will be interesting.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 8:18 pm

Programs: Skyteam Elite, Starwood Gold, Kmart ShopYourWay Rewards
Now it'd be funny if some airline NOBODY is thinking of acquires a portion/merges with of US Airways...say, like Frontier! (Sure the odds are 1 in 10,000, but then again, the odds of a merger are pretty slim too.) It's fun to speculate! Thanks for all your opinions too- makes internet fun.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 8:32 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
There was an article on Yahoo finance on Friday that discussed America West and others:

"The airline industry is abuzz with talk that bankrupt US Airways Group Inc., in search of funding needed to complete its reorganization, is in talks with America West Holdings Corp. for financing that could speed the pace of consolidation in the domestic airline sector."

http://biz.yahoo.com/deal/050415/usa...cash.html?.v=2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.