Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways Dividend Miles (Pre-2005 America West merger)
Reload this Page >

$2 fares (now gone) to/from LEB/AVL/ART - An open letter to US Airways

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$2 fares (now gone) to/from LEB/AVL/ART - An open letter to US Airways

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2005, 12:57 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Originally Posted by johnep1
I hope that last part was not directed at me as I have not been badgering US. I have simply stated that I think it makes sense for US to lessen their damages.

As for being a waste of time, how difficult is it to take their one 20 year old website developer and have him scan the whole 4 flights a day to/from ART and LEB for the next year and email anyone with a base fare under $25 (to pick up the Y and F tickets)? That might take a few days to complete.

And please show me where anyone asked that US refund any tickets. As far as I can tell, the OP requested that US keep the fare and just give out the miles.

Anytime I have refunded a ticket using the 24-hour cancellation policy, the refund has appeared on my CC statement within a few days. Doesn't appear to be that difficult.
Oops, missed that on the refunds. In any event, identifying the flights, crediting the miles, and returning the seats to inventory is not a "web site graphics" type of job. SABRE is not a relational database where you can run a few queries and an hour later say "OK, all done!". The cost of identifying, canceling reservations and crediting miles must be hundreds of times more than the cost of just letting it go and letting a few extra people fly around the system for two bucks each. Even good airline systems like Delta's are not designed for ad-hoc updates like this. When Delta has to fix something (such as the immediate expiration of a 10,000 mile bonus last year), they still had to do it one customer at a time.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by JS
Oops, missed that on the refunds. In any event, identifying the flights, crediting the miles, and returning the seats to inventory is not a "web site graphics" type of job. SABRE is not a relational database where you can run a few queries and an hour later say "OK, all done!". The cost of identifying, canceling reservations and crediting miles must be hundreds of times more than the cost of just letting it go and letting a few extra people fly around the system for two bucks each. Even good airline systems like Delta's are not designed for ad-hoc updates like this. When Delta has to fix something (such as the immediate expiration of a 10,000 mile bonus last year), they still had to do it one customer at a time.
My last post was an attempt to poke fun at the fact that it seems US's website is managed by one 20-year old.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Forget the refunds. The $40 or so of taxes they collected can be cash in their pockets if they don't transport people. I assume if they're not going to transport, they don't have to hand over the money to the taxing authorities. And if the customers let them keep it, it's a bit more than the $1.86 US would've earned.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 3:35 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
My last post was an attempt to poke fun at the fact that it seems US's website is managed by one 20-year old.
Wasn't he/she the one that was supposedly fired over this fiasco?
Old Apr 28, 2005, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by rbAA
Wasn't he/she the one that was supposedly fired over this fiasco?
So who's there now to make sure that the US website works properly?
Old Apr 28, 2005, 6:04 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
So who's there now to make sure that the US website works properly?
Senior Jose Gonzales
Old Apr 28, 2005, 9:03 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bursa
But if US gave miles without flying, it would set a "dangerous" precedent for future scenarios...what if many pax bought tickets and didn't fly?
This is not the justice system. There's no such thing as precedent. US "buying" back these tickets does not obligate them to do so in the future.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
This is not the justice system. There's no such thing as precedent. US "buying" back these tickets does not obligate them to do so in the future.
Thank you!!!!
Old Apr 28, 2005, 9:38 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
It most certainly does in the court of public opinion, arguably a tougher court than the real ones.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
If I worked for US I'd tell the OP to jump in a lake and then take sadistic pleasure in making him fly all those segments if he wants the miles. At $2 there's a pretty good chance he's not going to fly all the itin's in which case standby pax will benefit.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 6:11 am

Question

One more thought on this. I'm sure a lot of folks with these tickets are on UA flights at some point. That is real $$$ US is losing when you fly the UA segs.
Explain how.

Instead of having to give up most of the taxes/fees and pay $$$ to UA, US would instead be getting $$$ and would get the seats back in inventory
So that's how it works?
Old Apr 29, 2005, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Despite it's frequent use in that arena, "precedent" is not a unique term to the legal system.

So you're telling me that if someone comes here and posts "Hey, US gave me the miles without flying", there would not be a deluge of mail from FT's asking for the same thing. Then complaining about how unfair US is that they gave a benefit to some and not others, and then how they discriminate against xxxxx, and then "they treat customers so poorly, I'll never fly them again", then "let's all send them xxxxxx to protest this action", then letters to "Your Fault", then ....

Yes, it will.

And for all those who speak of the revenue they are losing, let me know how many of those flights end up oversold with compensation given to DB pax, then I'll believe a revenue loss. I'm pretty confident that the marginal cost of enplaning, flying, and deplaning 200 pounds of a person is must less than the cost of having an employee manually verify and override mileage credit for every single person.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by whlinder
Explain how.
US has to pay UA for the flights you take on UA metal. I assume they would be paying with actual money and not monopoly money.

Originally Posted by whlinder
So that's how it works?
US pays up the taxes when you use your ticket. So if you pay the taxes, but then allowUS to cancel the ticket and keep the money, they keep the taxes.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by CPRich
And for all those who speak of the revenue they are losing, let me know how many of those flights end up oversold with compensation given to DB pax, then I'll believe a revenue loss. I'm pretty confident that the marginal cost of enplaning, flying, and deplaning 200 pounds of a person is must less than the cost of having an employee manually verify and override mileage credit for every single person.
Unfortunately that statistic alone won't do you much good. I believe that people crediting the miles to other airlines and people with segs on UA wll also cost US some money. Since US is only getting $1.86 (plus fees that they keep), it takes one flight on UA or one RT credited to another airline account for US to lose money on a ticket.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 8:26 am

Go Morrissey

Originally Posted by Morrissey
The reason that US will not do this is simple: as far as they (and all other airlines) are concerned, the primary purpose of purchasing an airplane ticket is to get from point A to point B, not to earn FF miles. I'm sorry if that sounds like heresy to some of you, but it needs to be said. I would be against any airline that would award you miles for a flight that you never actually took and had no intention of taking. US held up their part of the bargain by honoring the fares, and now you have to hold up YOUR part of the bargain and sit through all those flights...
Could not agree more. I have no love for these mountebanks who are crowing about their $2 fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.