Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways Dividend Miles (Pre-2005 America West merger)
Reload this Page >

$2 fares (now gone) to/from LEB/AVL/ART - An open letter to US Airways

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$2 fares (now gone) to/from LEB/AVL/ART - An open letter to US Airways

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2005, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
I agree.

Originally Posted by dingo

Very tacky. "I knew it was a mistake and now will publicly humiliate you for me jumping all over it." I hope you folks don't get exploited by your customers like this; it's tacky at best.
I agree. At the very least, don't gloat and don't try to skin the cat twice. Take your found spoils and go enjoy, in quiet.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by pitflyer
This is a time tested question when it comes to mileage runs;
You're absolutley right, but under normal circumstances. It's obvious that the airline would rather not honor these, yet they may feel pressured to do so.

So while normally I'd agree they wouldn't consider this, if there's any time for an exception, on a $2 ticket it would seem like the time.

Does anyone know the tax implications if one were not to fly these, yet let US keep the $40 all in ticket value? I assume that US would not have to pay the authorities the taxes if they don't transport the passenger, so it would be just a little bit more in their pocket (in addition to being able to reclaim the inventory).
Old Apr 17, 2005, 8:10 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by dingo

Very tacky. "I knew it was a mistake and now will publicly humiliate you for me jumping all over it." I hope you folks don't get exploited by your customers like this; it's tacky at best. I love the person in the original thread who said he / she would give US all kinds of additional business b/c of this $2.00 fare...huh?
The root cause here is a lack of business process and IT controls--don't know about you, but I go way out of my way to ensure that a customer cannot do this to me.

US gets what they have coming for a lack of basic business acumen in conjunction with IT oversight and execution. I wonder what their SarBox auditors think of this...
Old Apr 17, 2005, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by pitflyer
Never has it happened .. probably because the precedent set would be terrible
It's curious that the airlines do not allow this strategy while hotel programs do. Most hotel programs will give you stay credit if you book a guaranteed rate and then no show. When Hilton HHonors ran their 4 stay for 50K bonus point promotions, people were booking guaranteed rooms at far flung places (such as Niagara Falls) for $39/night and the program gave them credit.

I don't understand why people get so angry when someone suggests that the airlines allow something similar. Of course, if the airline doesn't want to do it, that is their prerogative, but given the hotel precedent, I don't see why it is so outrageous to at least make the suggestion.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Member
The OP will be more likely to get a response by e-mailing or writing US Airways directly. As the OP is a US GP, he's got the e-mail address that will get him some response.

And I agree that the chances of US doing what the OP wants are slim and none, with slim having walked out the door. If US wants to honor the fares, then the OP should fly on those tickets. Just my $ .02.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 8:57 pm

Programs: *Wood Gold, DL
Man! Just find a US Airways Sales Rep in your area and take them to lunch. I use to give out lots of GOld Cards in my past airline life.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 12:06 am

You may want to reread the Dividend Miles terms and conditions before assuming that you *will* earn mileage on the erroneous fares. Specifically, the following two sections may apply:

Miles may only be earned for tickets purchased for travel on regularly scheduled flights and published routes. Voluntary flight connections for the purpose of earning additional miles or segments are not permitted.
If you added any extra segments to your MRs, or booked nested tickets to LEB/AVL/ART then they could enact the above rule.

US Airways and/or any Dividend Miles airline partner, at its/their discretion, may also exclude certain types of paid tickets from credit eligibility. These include, but are not limited to: unused tickets, travel industry discounts, tickets purchased at websites like priceline.com and hotwire.com, charters, back-to-back tickets, tickets obtained or used in a fraudulent manner and any other fares/tickets that may later be specified by Dividend Miles, with or without notice. Miles accrued for any of these reasons may be subsequently deducted from the account.
I doubt that they would enact any of the above rules for the majority of folks who purchased the fares, but if you're going to flog it in their face, then they are certainly within their right to not credit - or to remove the credits after you have done all of your travel.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 6:54 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Some hotel chains might, but I am surprised if Hilton as a rule does. For example I know that Starwood does not give points if you no-show stays -- as a rule -- but the rule is often broken either by mistake (ie hotel codes the no-show charge as a stay) or on purpose (the hotel locally does give you credit because they want to). As a Hilton HHonors Diamond member I have not heard that no-stays are guaranteed stay benefits; I think they just post as such. If you ask corporate I'm pretty sure they would say they don't get points as points are benefit for staying in the room as opposed to paying for the room... (I think)
Old Apr 18, 2005, 7:35 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
The root cause here is a lack of business process and IT controls--don't know about you, but I go way out of my way to ensure that a customer cannot do this to me.

US gets what they have coming for a lack of basic business acumen in conjunction with IT oversight and execution. I wonder what their SarBox auditors think of this...
Amen to that, CB4.

Wonder if they will blame the pax like after the GOM debacle or if they will see that the problem is right under their noses and his name is "The Programmer". Course if they fire him there will be nobody to manage the website.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 10:08 am

Programs: SW, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5*, Avis Presidents
request for GOM info

Originally Posted by gardener
Wonder if they will blame the pax like after the GOM debacle.
I have only been on this forum for the last year or two. I have seen reference to "GOM" in other threads but have no clue what it was. Would any of the Senior Historians care to offer a brief recap of that for benefit of the newer members? thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2005, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by RDU-Man
I have only been on this forum for the last year or two. I have seen reference to "GOM" in other threads but have no clue what it was. Would any of the Senior Historians care to offer a brief recap of that for benefit of the newer members? thanks!
= Get Out More

A promotion in 2002 where you could sign up for multiple versions of the promotion (i.e. the same promotion was listed with codes 1234, 5678, 9876, 4321) and therefore earn multiples of your actual flight miles.

Last edited by Alysia; Apr 18, 2005 at 11:00 am
Old Apr 18, 2005, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by cedric
If you added any extra segments to your MRs, or booked nested tickets to LEB/AVL/ART then they could enact the above rule.
Nested tickets in general are allowed. Nested tickets for the purposes of circumventing a minimum stay requirement is not allowed (back-to-back), but since none of these fares had minimum stay requirements, all is well.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by keithguy
Nested tickets in general are allowed. Nested tickets for the purposes of circumventing a minimum stay requirement is not allowed (back-to-back), but since none of these fares had minimum stay requirements, all is well.
The rule could be interpreted as "this traveller could be flying BUF-PHL-LAX directly, but is instead flying BUF-LGA-LEG-LGA-CLT-LAX on a nested ticket. The primary purpose of this trip is to earn miles. Therefore, the traveller is using additional connections to earn miles" if the airline so desires.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by cedric
The rule could be interpreted as "this traveller could be flying BUF-PHL-LAX directly, but is instead flying BUF-LGA-LEG-LGA-CLT-LAX on a nested ticket. The primary purpose of this trip is to earn miles. Therefore, the traveller is using additional connections to earn miles" if the airline so desires.
Doubtful. The traveller paid two fares: BUF-LEB + LEB-LAX. So BUF-LGA-LEB is reasonable, and LEB-LGA-CLT-LAX is also reasonable for each of the two fares that were combined. BUF-PHL-LAX would have priced nowhere near what BUF-LGA-LEB-LGA-CLT-LAX did, so the extra segments are there to save money using the fares published by the airline.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 5:43 pm
J-M
Suspended

Originally Posted by channa
Doubtful. The traveller paid two fares: BUF-LEB + LEB-LAX. So BUF-LGA-LEB is reasonable, and LEB-LGA-CLT-LAX is also reasonable for each of the two fares that were combined. BUF-PHL-LAX would have priced nowhere near what BUF-LGA-LEB-LGA-CLT-LAX did, so the extra segments are there to save money using the fares published by the airline.
Hope you don't mind a Delta guy jumping in here, but since Delta has the exact same (stupid) policy, I can say that this is correct. The traveller booked a roundtrip (nested) to LAX using the least expensive method possible ($2 ticket). The primary purpose for his routing was not to earn miles, but rather to get the cheapest fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.