Wiki Posts
Search

Preferreds who no longer fly US

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2005, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Preferreds who no longer fly US

I have a new thread idea: keeping track of Preferred members who no longer fly US Airways for whatever reason.

I was treated like dirt by a ticket agent who I think just didn't want to deal with a complex ticket situation; emails and phone calls to US Airways to request nothing but an apology from the ticket agent were largely ignored. So I just chopped up my Chairman's Preferred card and other things and FedExed them to US headquarters, along with a letter showing the amount of yearly revenue the ticket agent has cost US Airways (in the five figures) by driving me away. Too bad, since apart from that ticket agent I had very good experiences on US, but I'm not using my hard-earned money to pay her salary (as I travel nearly exclusively on leisure trips).

Any others who've done the same? I'd also be curious to see (1) whether or not there was a specific thing that drove others away and (2) what US's response to any complaints was.

Last edited by ibrandsguest; Apr 12, 2005 at 11:52 am
Old Apr 12, 2005, 10:21 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I have a new thread idea: keeping track of Preferred members who no longer fly US Airways for whatever reason.

I was treated like dirt by a ticket agent who I think just didn't want to deal with a complex ticket situation; emails and phone calls to US Airways to request nothing but an apology from the ticket agent were largely ignored. So I just chopped up my Chairman's Preferred card and other things and FedExed them to US headquarters, along with a letter showing the amount of yearly revenue the ticket agent has cost US Airways (in the five figures) by driving me away. Too bad, since apart from that ticket agent I had very good experiences on US, but I'm not using my hard-earned money to pay her salary (as I travel nearly exclusively on leisure trips).

Any others who've done the same?
I'm not gone yet, but you would never know it by this.....

2005 Delta Flights

1/05/05 GSO/SDF/LIT/GSO $845.00
1/12/05 GSO/SFO/GSO $898.00
1/15/05 GSO/MEM/GSO $442.80
1/22/05 GSO/MEM/MSY/JAN/MEM $2123.97
1/22/05 MEM/GSO/MEM $374.50
1/29/05 GSO/MSY/BHM/MCO/GSO $782.10
GSO/EWR/ORD/LEX/GSO $1981.24
2/05/05 GSO/ORD/GSO $546.00
2/12/05 MEM/DFW/SAT/MEM $679.10
2/19/05 GSO/MCI/GSO $345.90
3/05/05 GSO/DFW/MEM/PIT/GSO $1456.00
3/12/05 GSO/ORF/LEX/CHS $986.82
3/26/05 GSO/TYS/LIT/GSO $859.00
Old Apr 12, 2005, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by NYCommuter

Any others who've done the same?

Count me in, too. The boxed meals in transcon First Class did it for me. Moreover, I'm very tired of encountering rude US Airways agents, even from the Chairman's Preferred desk. It is rather hard to believe that United treats me a lot better than US Airways does, e.g. last time in p.s., United used my US1 status to open me a seat in row 9 in advance and United F/A's always take my meal order right after their 1K flyers, so in effect, I get treated as a 1K on United. If United had more non-stop flights out of Miami like they used to, I would definitely switch.

These days I find myself flying AA most of the time.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 1:17 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
I was a former Preferred member (Chairman's Preferred for three and a half year, Gold and Silver before and after that) that stopped flying USAirways due to the perceived(*) shaft I believe they gave my home town. I gave up non-stop flights before it was 'cool' (ie USAirways cut those flights)

(*) I say perceived as I don't want to start yet another thread on whether or not it was a 'real' shaft. In my opinion it was but perfectly logical people (and I'm not including PineyBob in this -- JUST KIDDING ) disagree and that's OK.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I'll fly US when I can get a non-stop $98RT ticket from DCA to Florida or PIT OR when they offer a big seat in the front of the airplane when UA is offering TED as the only option. But this segment of my flying is not much or enough to maintain CP. I miss the old US and wish them well in finding out what they want to be.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL PM / MM Ex UA & US Gold Starwood & Hilton Gold
I dumped them in 1995. Since then I have only flown them twice and both times to burn miles. Just booked PHL / BNA via ATL on Delta.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 2:15 pm

Haven't travelled that much this year, but all paid flights were on UA or NW. Only flights on US were freq flier tickets in first. Box lunches just turned me off. I'll come back if they offer me something worth flying, but I'll only fly them now if they're considerably cheaper.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Gold
Cheating on US?

45K EQMs YTD, with 20K more EQMs booked through 6/30 - all on United.

US can't match nonstop BOS-LAX (which I've been doing every other week), UA's planes are much cleaner, F feels like F, and E+ is key on transcon and transatlantic flights.

After 12 years of being elite with US, including 6 years at Chairman's Preferred, I feel like I'm cheating on my first wife, but I can't take the dirty planes, 5am eastbound redeye connections through PHL or PIT, and the sinking suspicion that US isn't gonna be around as long as UA will. Sad.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by rhodeweary
I feel like I'm cheating on my first wife
Based on this thinking, I feel like I'm sleeping on the couch. One trip this year, leisure...new job and they just won't send me anywhere no matter how much I offer. I'm wasting my CP status.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 4:57 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred, NWA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I've shifted the majority of my flying to NWA. Nothing fancy -- just clean planes that go where I want. Hassle free upgrades. F service that still feels like F. Really nice clubs. Sensible integration of the CO & DL alliance -- none of the nickle and dime club access nonsense and inability to upgrade that US & UA put preferreds through. A technology team that "gets it". Planeside baggage check (for RJs) at DTW is very smooth -- another "gets it" moment. No dumb ideas like airfones. Seat back TVs seem really unlikely (good -- that's another dumb idea.)

I miss laptop power at every seat and I'm not thrilled with the dim prospects of upgrading to Europe.

US hasn't quite lost me. But there isn't much other than sentimentality keeping me around.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
If we're listing "for whatever reason" - include me. I just took my first (non-award) US flight since October. My new client is in Columbus, and the 3 hour drive on my own schedule is preferable to a $400 turboprop that takes 4 hours door-to-door.

And my initial flight back was a $960 BlowFare for 50 minutes PIT-LGA and back - I'm flying PIT-HNL-KOA-OGG-HNL-PIT for 2/3 the price on UA in a few weeks.

I've given up defending them and moved to the ambivalent column. I'm burning miles as the opportunity arises.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I took my $45K/year to NW. The only time I fly US now is when there is a nonstop out of DCA where taking NW wouldn't make sense. Or, if I can find an A-class fare offered by US on UA metal, I take the UA metal. I haven't stepped foot on a mainline US plane (except for LGW) in about 9 months.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 9:29 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Wow. I'm shocked.

22k or so worth of EQM this year on US, since I'm back stateside and running up and down the coast. Once it hits 25k, everything else goes to UA. Life without the CP desk is just not worth living (that was the last thing that might have kept me around).

Over the pond, I'm still using BA. Up and down the coast is a mixed bag--I'll use CO/DL/NW out of CLE and AA out of RDU. I've even got 3 or 4 southwest segments.

Burned the account down to nothing, and am making a point to burn empty every time the counter hits 50k.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 9:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
This may be the first year since the program began that I don't hit CP. I usually come out of the winter commute to Florida with half the miles I need by May. I'll be 20K short this year, and tired of the hassle. Apparently I'm not alone. Taking a connect over CLT tomorrow, to LGA. Two 321's. Pulled a seat map tonight. We're now within even the Silver upgrade window. 16 open in First on the first leg, 22 open on the second....and we're talking midweek, in and out of a main hub, going to NYC.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 9:59 pm

count me in as well, I moved the vast majority of my flying to CO the second half of last year, and am now platinum elite with them. Among all of the other difficulties with deteriorization of first class service, I got tired of misconnecting on the last flight of the day and being left on my own in a connecting city (once I got to the gate 10 minutes BEFORE the flight was to depart and the door was closed - and the flight didn't leave the gate until an hour late, and one other time I was five minutes late- but there were ten other people on my flight connecting to the same flight).

Among everything else, this airline needs to get someone in the fold who understands how to actually operate an airline - and fast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.