Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Preferreds who no longer fly US

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2005, 11:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold
i'm barely hanging on

the only thing that is keeping me onboard now is the limited number of PIT conx that are left in the system. otherwise, i'm seriously seriously considering asking nw for a status comp. i'm on us all may gso-lax(321's outbound, 320's return from the hubs) on tuesday's out, wednesday's return and I am PETRIFIED that my upgrades will not clear(i'm in-out of PIT except for one PHL-LAX leg on the 321)
Old Apr 13, 2005, 1:15 am

Big airline change for me from US to NW - non stop flights are amazing now with NW!

03/24/05 STL - MSP - PHX
03/26/05 PHX - IND
Now in April:
04/01/05 IND - MSP - ABQ
04/03/05 ABQ - MSP - IND
04/08/05 DAY - DTW - IAH
04/10/05 IAH - DTW - DAY
04/15/05 IND - DTW - LIT
04/17/05 LIT - MEM - IND
04/18/05 IND - LGA
04/19/05 LGA - IND

All on NWA. In fact this was the key flight: 04/18 - 04/19 IND-LGA-IND. Same exact price. I'm Silver on US and zilch on NW and still went ahead with NW. That is the key event that is an indication that I'm probably done with US.

NW 38,210 banked, 10,273 Elite miles 2005, 8422 Elite miles 2004.

US 92,178 banked, 9,975 preferred miles 2005, 28,100 preferred miles 2004.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 9:40 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
I need to change my username. Most of my trips nowadays are West or South -- miles are going into UA even on US metal headed south to Florida, though I still have over 200,000 miles on US to burn. Flying has become such a completely miserable experience that I find myself driving whenever possible -- I can drive to DC in 6 1/2 hours, which becomes competitive time-wise with flying anymore -- though I can always hop on a cheapo WN flight to BWI when I need to.

I'm hoping to burn those last few US miles on a trip to South Africa via LH late this year.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 10:32 am

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
I was Silver the last 2 years but this year Ive been on one measly USX flight from LGA-ROC (on a Dash 8...ugh) when Jetblue had no availablity for the flight I had to take. Other than that been flying Skyteam (NW and CO mostly) a lot and Jetblue a lot more. Living in NYC, Jetblue is almost the dominant carrier here, and hell, when they get all those EMB's, they very well migth be.
Its sad how fast US has dropped off the radar as far as service.

2005:

CO:
EWR-SAN
SAN-EWR
EWR-YYZ
YYZ-EWR

NW:

LGA-MEM-DFW
DFW-MEM-LGA
LGA-MSP-SNA
SNA-MSP-LGA

Jetblue:

JFK-ROC 4X
JFK-BUF 2X
JFK-LAS 2X
JFK-FLL RT
JFK-OAK RT
Old Apr 13, 2005, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Glad to hear I'm not alone! Did anyone complain to US Airways about a specific problem and get completely blown off?
Old Apr 13, 2005, 11:32 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Glad to hear I'm not alone! Did anyone complain to US Airways about a specific problem and get completely blown off?
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...light=lipstick and

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...light=lipstick
Old Apr 13, 2005, 11:44 am

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
I've significantly slowed my flying this year. Increased prices and a changed personal situation means I'm not taking the leisure trips I usually do. For the past 4 years, I've had two or three European trips every spring, always on US, usually on the 330. This year I have none with anyone. I've only had three flights at all so far this spring, and I did two of those on Independence (great service and the cheapest fare). I used a bump ticket for someone else on a US flight and it was canceled -- rescheduled for later, but I could only find that out when I called the CP line for them. The gate agents still thought it was delayed until I told them the CP line found out it was canceled.

I'm really thinking about taking a year or two off from "excessive leisure travel" and then re-evaluating the industry to see if that's where I still want to put extra money. I'll still travel for a few things here and there, but nothing like I've been doing since late 2000.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 11:55 am

Frequent Lurker and infrequent poster.

Since the first C11, I have dropped from CP through Gold to Silver. The fact they kept me at Silver this year even though I was several segments short of the mark in 2004 was a nice gesture. Starting last year, I saw the writing on the wall and decided to go for UA status to gain access to Economy Plus without a lot of hassle. The ironic thing is given my RIC base, I end up flying US Air regularly, but put the miles into My UA account. I feel bad as I convinced a number of friends and family over the years to fly USAir with some attaining status. With the continuing degradation of service and schedule, they are questioning my recommendation. For the most part, my FF account is UA with DL a distant second. Quite a change in just a couple of years. I am really glad I didn't bit on the club offer last year. Even if I used miles, I would have been supremely irritated to have lost the west coast and orlando club access.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold
me too.

i am still cp (based on last year's flying), but i bailed january 1st after status-matching to northwest. so far, i have 30,000 eqm's (like "preferred" miles on us) this year on northwest, and have another 10,000 eqm's already booked.

my wife -- same story, though she has flown a bit less than i have this year.

i am surprised that some of us' biggest supporters on this board have bailed. it makes me a bit sad to pass by their counters and their gates, but at the end of the day i'm a rational consumer who knows that i'm getting a better deal with northwest.

-- he who slacks
Old Apr 13, 2005, 4:11 pm

Programs: USAIRWAYS
I'm tired of the lack of attention

I only fly weekends for my part time musicians gig. Usually 25 trips a year, but I'm sick and tired of the lost luggage out of Phl. I'd love them to get their act together but I've had all I can take. I've booked Delta everytime out
since March and I don't think I'll be going back to US anytime soon. It's also so much easier to get in/out through Terminal D in PHL. I'm with the rest of you, Abandon Ship!!!!!

Brian
Silver Prefered
Old Apr 13, 2005, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Last year I got lucky and UA matched my GP status. I've still flown US when UA isn't an option, but all of the miles go to UA. I really like UA and notice the sad condition of US whenever I've flown their planes. I've even taken to driving out to IAD and flying Ted to Florida (and once even UX to NY) instead of US from DCA, even though I could possibly have gotten some of those "upgrades" on US. I've still got a bunch of DM miles left, so I guess I'll transit through PHL a few more times, but they're going to have to establish a track record to get me back.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 5:19 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Avis Rock Star
Wow, I have been reading this thread with great interest. Some of the folks posting (especially those who have been so vocal in favor of US for so long) have really got me thinking, having been a US loyal flyer for quite a while - CP for the last few years as well.
While I think the bad times are still not behind, I do think US continues to offer a solid product (but the finances are soooo shaky).
I'll continue flying til attaining CP again for next year (40 segments left) and then re-evaluate. But then the focus will be on building alternate status. Feeling so very torn at this point.

They have made so many changes:
- at DCA I can no longer access the club because most of my flights depart from the center pier
- too many RJs!!!! Arrgghhhhh
- availability of reward flights for less-than-premium miles are non-existant these days
- too many RJ's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- diminshing number of checkin personnel (especially when multiplying kiosks are out of order or malfunction)

But, somedays the CP Desk can make up for so many things!!

So, I am sorry if this isn't truly in the vein of the thread, but had to vent a little. Thanks if you took the time to read this. I'm just beginning to start to think about accepting the fact that they may not be around forever.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
I still fly US on most everything except transcons, where I've taken my business over to AA for the time being. The route network on the East Coast is unmatched, especially out of DCA and even out of CHO; I can go to a number of regional destinations nonstop. The new E170 service to "business" cities (i.e. other airlines' hubs ) out of DCA is very convenient for me and I like the 170s for such short flights despite the lack of First Class.

US often has slightly lower fares than AA in the WAS-LAX market (especially if I need a refundable ticket) but I'll gladly go with AA for an extra $100 as the level of service in F is leaps and bounds over what it is on US. Plus AA flies nonstop from IAD-LAX, which saves me time. Unfortunately for US, as LAX is my most common destination, they're losing a lot of revenue from me this year. Boxed cold meals in F and now no club at LAX give me no reason to fly US on this route.

I'll probably still make CP thanks to bonus miles and carryover from 2004, and I'm not totally going to abandon ship, but I will likely end up flying only 40,000 actual miles on US (and UA, credited to US) this year as opposed to more than 100,000 last year.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I haven't totally abandoned US. I have moved more flying over to UA, and continue to accrue miles on US to keep my *G status. I'm taking a wait-and-see approach, and depending upon how things shake out over the rest of the calendar year, I may or may not switch entirely to UA, or request a status match from NW. I'll re-evaluate close to the end of the year, before I begin booking my 2006 travel. What pushed me over the edge? The LAX club closure.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
With all the cutbacks in transcon F service and the closing of the club at LAX, I can't see how US Airways expects to keep any LA-based frequent flyers from jumping ship within the next few months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.