US Airways' Plan to Exit Bankruptcy Hits Snags

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2005, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: US AIR Chairmans, HHonors, CO Gold
US Airways' Plan to Exit Bankruptcy Hits Snags

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2005Mar30.html
Old Mar 31, 2005, 8:20 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold
Will high fuel prices do what nothing else could, kill US?

Notice that they mention Flyertalk and the lipstick campaign in the article. tls
Old Mar 31, 2005, 9:38 am

Great quote Greg! nicely done!
Old Mar 31, 2005, 9:41 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
It appears that the lipstick isn't making its way to upper mgmt.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 10:30 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
It appears that the lipstick isn't making its way to upper mgmt.
Probably because the mail is stuck in the US Air mailroom! Maybe that's where the lost luggage is too!
Old Mar 31, 2005, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Chiames said yesterday that the airline has not received any tubes of lipstick
Maybe the USPS is routing their mail thru PHL, LOL
Old Mar 31, 2005, 10:44 am

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Originally Posted by gardener
Maybe the USPS is routing their mail thru PHL, LOL
Wasn't there something that USPS was terminating (or at least scaling back) their contracts for mail carrying with US after the December debacle?
Old Mar 31, 2005, 11:02 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Chiames also said that the airline didn't have time to worry about the customers, he had an airline to save.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 11:12 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
Great quote Greg! nicely done!
Yeah he is quiet the spokesman.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 11:13 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by planeluvr
Chiames also said that the airline didn't have time to worry about the customers, he had an airline to save.
My guess is that quote will come back to haunt him in some interviews scheduled with other media this week.

Don't make a cockroach mad. They CAN bite

Last edited by longing4piedmont; Mar 31, 2005 at 11:58 am
Old Mar 31, 2005, 1:32 pm

"Things are never going to be the way they used to be and may not always be the way people expect they should be, because we're having to make changes," Chiames said".

He just doesn't get it. We don't expect hat they will be the way they used to be a few years ago. Sure I would like to fly the 767 to LAX and have an ice cream sundae..however, now I am just hopeing for a clean plane and a kiosk that works. I don't think that is expecting too much.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by mileshound
"Things are never going to be the way they used to be and may not always be the way people expect they should be, because we're having to make changes," Chiames said".

He just doesn't get it. We don't expect hat they will be the way they used to be a few years ago. Sure I would like to fly the 767 to LAX and have an ice cream sundae..however, now I am just hopeing for a clean plane and a kiosk that works. I don't think that is expecting too much.
What he doesn't seem to get is the most important job of all: managing expectations. For example, I think it's pretty darn clear to all of us around here that the lack of former FC meals and the introduction of meals-in-a-box on February 1st had nothing whatsoever to do with vendor issues.

Instead of communicating this decision in advance and explaining it as part of cost-cutting measures, they just dump it on us (and the FA's as near as I can tell; I was flying 2/1 and that week) with a blatant lie about vendor issues. Had this decision been communicated to the flying public or at least the elites in advance (thus, the aforementioned managing of expectations), then we would not have been so insulted and outraged. Unhappy? Yes. So insulted? No. We would have been expecting (there's that word again) the change.

Tell me what I get for my dollar, and then I can make an educated choice. It's the constant changes (FC), bait and switch deals (Clubs) that are so frustrating. I don't know what to expect anymore--and that's not good.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
Yeah he is quiet the spokesman.
he certainly knows the best way to announce he wants to be inundated with truckloads of lipstick: "Chiames said yesterday that the airline has not received any tubes of lipstick"....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.