Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways Dividend Miles (Pre-2005 America West merger)
Reload this Page >

US should restructure itself to do what it does best: Low cost, high comfort shuttles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US should restructure itself to do what it does best: Low cost, high comfort shuttles

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2005, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Gold Pref., *A Gold, AA Gold, AAA

Here is what I think US should do (and keep in mind, I am not an airline exec or analyst, so my opinion means nothing). They should restructure their entire business on the "shuttle" model. This would mean low-cost, high-frequency flights with comfort slightly above that of normal legacy carriers. Imagine the business they could do with hourly shuttle flights between JFK and LAX on an 330, BOS, LGA and DCA on a 321, and BOS, LGA, DCA, PHL and ATL (the prime Atlantic business destinations) on a group of nice 319s and 320s. They could increase room in coach, and give out the bagels and such from current shuttle flights (twice on LAX flights) and re-label their F a "business" class, with current F seats in most aircraft, and current F seats with 45in pitch on the 330 to LA. No real meals, even in F, and a focus on comfort, not amenities. They could give up on the vacation market, as AA and the LCCs have them beat there anyways, and stop with overseas. UA, BA and AA have them beat there in every way, and Envoy is supposedly an even lesser product than C on UA p.s. They could then sell those aging Boeings for some cash, stop paying rent on their Florida and other southern gates, and sever their contracts with the regional carriers. They could become the airline that caters to the modern business traveler, and them alone. Hey, I'd sure fly it.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 12:03 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
So put the shuttle back to what it was, and attempt a widebody business product coast to coast, when AA and UA could not make it work on widebodies due to LCC encroachment?

Please see also: National and Legend.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 6:12 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Clue,

You're missing the point here. Adopting a new strategy at which they lose money IS what US does best. This is one of the few such strategies they haven't tried yet.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 6:40 am

I think part of your idea might be a good one- operating more like the old shuttle, which had no F class but decent leg room. Yanking out F and re-configuring planes a.la Ted for flights east of the Mississippi. More seats, lower costs, decent comfort.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 6:58 am

Programs: CoFounder and Chairman, FFOCUS (Frequent Flyers Organized and concerned about Unacceptable Service.
Not a Bad Idea

This is not a bad idea....with the comfort on short to medium flights it could be a winner....and with a little tweaking, transcons could work as well...

It's not about perks and glass--its about a fair product for a fair price.

Now defining fair is the challenge.

I am realistic folks--
Old Mar 31, 2005, 7:03 am

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
What if they brought back Business Select on the short-haul routes with more realistic pricing and slightly improved service?

I'm sure some here will remember Business Select.... it was back in the 90s a European-style business class that US Airways implemented on F-100s I believe, flying from LGA to business markets like GSO and JAX.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 7:04 am

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Originally Posted by Art234
This is not a bad idea....with the comfort on short to medium flights it could be a winner....and with a little tweaking, transcons could work as well...

It's not about perks and glass--its about a fair product for a fair price.

Now defining fair is the challenge.

I am realistic folks--
Art's right. Something similar to UA's E+ ala Ted would work. Anytime I've flown Ted on the left coast (SFO-LAS) I've liked it. I'm going to be trying a transcon MR with them in mid-May on UA mainline to try it out on something longer than an hour flight (and I've got ORD-SFO booked on a 777!!). Having the extra room is a perk we'd all like given the state of FC is no longer first rate.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 7:11 am

Programs: CoFounder and Chairman, FFOCUS (Frequent Flyers Organized and concerned about Unacceptable Service.
Could Work

Originally Posted by JAXPax
What if they brought back Business Select on the short-haul routes with more realistic pricing and slightly improved service?

I'm sure some here will remember Business Select.... it was back in the 90s a European-style business class that US Airways implemented on F-100s I believe, flying from LGA to business markets like GSO and JAX.

I agree--I think we're on the right track here.....

By the way, as a contrast on transcons, PS by United appears to be a success.....and I have been very happy on Ted....
Old Mar 31, 2005, 7:34 am

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Originally Posted by JAXPax

They were on the pre-Metrojet 737-200's. When I was doing the weekend commutes to MSP in the mid-90s, we'd always get one of those planes coming from a Business Select run BWI-ROA... then they would change the config back in ROA to a regular seating to take us to CLT or PIT.

Biz Select gave those folks a sandwich as a snack or some other little thing in addition to a bigger seat (only 2 seats per row instead of 3). They may have given a drink too, but I can't remember. I don't think I ever flew routes that had it on... I always got the plane after the Biz Sel flight.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ClueByFour
So put the shuttle back to what it was, and attempt a widebody business product coast to coast, when AA and UA could not make it work on widebodies due to LCC encroachment?

Please see also: National and Legend.

They would just have to try it in a different way. For example, make 1/3 of the plane business, and sell those seats for $650. Much cheaper than AA's cheapest YUP, and actually affordable. Also, US would have the advantage of making those runs with new 330s, which are much cheaper to run than the UA and AA 762s that failed to show a profit.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 8:06 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Don't flame me...

...I'm just asking: why would you fly this new US Airways? Simply for the combination of comfort and price? There'd be no upgrades to be had and only a dozen cities or so to visit with your frequent flyer awards. Does this business traveller model still have Clubs? Would *A be interested in a partnership (great for the new US but great for *A?)? Which would you pick?

1. The new US Airways with its increased room and comfort for a fair price? (Not that this business-oriented airline's pax would be worrying so much about price, as it isn't often their personal dime.)

OR

2. UA (AA, NW, etc.) with the E+, the chance for an even more comfortable upgraded ride in J or F for the same price, and, after showing your loyalty, would allow you to cash in miles to travel the world for free?

I'm a life-long US (and the iterations before it) flyer and want it to live and I'm all for out-of-the-box thinking. I'm just asking if you had to fly every week, would you do it on this new airline?

The question is not to fly this new version of US or not to fly it.

The questions is whether to fly this new version of US instead of the alternatives.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
...I'm just asking: why would you fly this new US Airways? Simply for the combination of comfort and price? There'd be no upgrades to be had and only a dozen cities or so to visit with your frequent flyer awards. Does this business traveller model still have Clubs? Would *A be interested in a partnership (great for the new US but great for *A?)? Which would you pick?

1. The new US Airways with its increased room and comfort for a fair price? (Not that this business-oriented airline's pax would be worrying so much about price, as it isn't often their personal dime.)

OR

2. UA (AA, NW, etc.) with the E+, the chance for an even more comfortable upgraded ride in J or F for the same price, and, after showing your loyalty, would allow you to cash in miles to travel the world for free?

I'm a life-long US (and the iterations before it) flyer and want it to live and I'm all for out-of-the-box thinking. I'm just asking if you had to fly every week, would you do it on this new airline?

The question is not to fly this new version of US or not to fly it.

The questions is whether to fly this new version of US instead of the alternatives.

If anything, the club size and availability would have to be increased, because it is frequent business travelers who use these clubs most. I believe that the airline would still be valuable to *A because it is a very frequent, convenient way to shuttle passengers between * hubs when flying both domestically and internationally. For example, if you miss your UA morning flight to LHR, hourly flights to major business destinations within the United States increases the chance you can be put on another one that day, or, if you prefer to fly from the East Coast to Europe, you can very easily get there from Chicago or LA. In short, it could be used by * (UA in particular) to minimize the effects of delays and cancelations. As far as the business class, there could still be upgrades available, if revenue seats don't all get sold. However, for a lower level employee, the company is more likely to shell out $650ish for a transcon in this business class than they are to shell out a grand for the next cheapest first seat from AA or UA (and this business product would surely beat AAs J based on room and price, and UAs p.s. based on price).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.