Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgradeable Int'l Fare classes to Germany?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2005, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Avis Rock Star
Upgradeable Int'l Fare classes to Germany?

I looked everywhere(I think) for the answer but am having serious issues getting to an answer, and I know there are some folks here wise beyond their years in this sort of stuff:
My parents (non-status on US) are heading to Germany(FRA) from PIT this fall, October 23rd or so until November 3rd or so, flexible a day or two. Pop's plan is to buy two tickets on US and use some of his remaining miles to upgrade the 2 of them. He has a little over 70k and I want to steer him away from the fare class(es) that he wouldn't be able to upgrade.

Can anyone shed light on which fares NOT to purchase? Or any tips on the best way to get upgraded with his miles? Does it help if I call at all? As always, all suggestions are tremendously appreciated!

Oh, just thought of one additional query: if some flights are operated by LH, can they still upgrade?

Last edited by liveon777; Mar 29, 2005 at 3:27 pm
Old Mar 29, 2005, 3:40 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
No upgrades on Lufthansa. On US, M, H and Q fares are upgradeable with 30K miles each way; Y or B fares are upgradeable with 10K miles each way. Search by price to get the fare type you want if searching by dates yields just W or V fares (both of which aren't upgradeable).
Old Mar 29, 2005, 10:11 pm
TP

Programs: US PP;CO Plat
Originally Posted by liveon777
Or any tips on the best way to get upgraded with his miles? Does it help if I call at all? As always, all suggestions are tremendously appreciated!
Yes, you should call *before* you buy the tickets to inquire about upgrade inventory on the days of travel. If upgrades are not available ask them to check a few days before or after.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 11:25 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
Right now the cheapest upgradable PIT-FRA is showing as $946 + taxes (QKXAN2).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.