Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3 More clubs to close

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2005, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I sent Mr. Ashby a nice, long e-mailed account of just what I think about the LAX club closure. I posted the end of my letter on L4PI's "lipstick" thread. I am not seeking a reimbursement (although I did not state that directly), since I was one of the (suspected) 2 or 3 people who bought the RCC option with my Club renewal last year. (And I only did this because I tend to fly UA -- often with a guest -- and I knew I'd get my money's worth.) Boy, am I glad now that I bought that RCC option, because I sure as shootin' will not be flying US out of LAX as often.

Next question: Now that US has about 25% less clubs operating, does that mean memberships will drop by 25%???
Old Mar 24, 2005, 10:23 am
Suspended

Programs: US Airways (*A) Gold, United, Priority Club Platinum, Starwood Preferred, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Gold
What is US management thinking? hmm, how about maybe "we are losing money at these clubs?"

This is the first year that I did not renew my Club membership but I have to admit that it was only because the renewal is sitting in my "things to do" pile. Now, like many I do not know if I will reup or not. But with all of the chest beating going on - does anybody know how many club members there are and what is the daily / weekly / yearly traffic at the clubs, especially the ones they are closing? What is their total revenue from Club membership verses their expenses? Maybe they were losing $ XXX per year and the closed clubs only represents 5% of club visit. I have no way of knowing this but we now have 4 pages of jabber and nobody is at the least interested in the facts? I mean other than the usual insightful "US Management and / or Workers are Stupid" type of facts.

I am thinking that our friends at FFOCUS with their close and personal relationship with US management we could have these number without issue.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 11:40 am

Seems that one alternative may be purchasing a RCC membership next year rather than US. While providing access to both US and UA clubs it will cost me an extra $400 because I have no status with UA and received the reduced CP rate for the US clubs. To me the extra money is worth the access to RCC when flying US as this option is not available with the UA upgrade on US club membership. Many times I fly US to locations were there are only RCC and will continue to do so unless they go under. Considered this option last year when US announced the extra charge for RCC access only when flying on UA but the club closings should seal the deal for me.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 11:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by phillyd2
does anybody know how many club members there are and what is the daily / weekly / yearly traffic at the clubs, especially the ones they are closing? What is their total revenue from Club membership verses their expenses? Maybe they were losing $ XXX per year and the closed clubs only represents 5% of club visit. I have no way of knowing this but we now have 4 pages of jabber and nobody is at the least interested in the facts? I mean other than the usual insightful "US Management and / or Workers are Stupid" type of facts.
I would be surprised by any numbers US could provide from the Clubs. I would also question the validity of said numbers other than total membership. The Club card doesn't have a magnetic stip that is swiped. Some Clubs check the card closely along with ID or BP, some do not. Other airlines have much better tracking of their Clubs and usage. There is no tracking of who was in a Club or how often someone uses the Club. This is classic CCY making decisions without information!!!
Old Mar 24, 2005, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by dukeman
There is no tracking of who was in a Club or how often someone uses the Club. This is classic CCY making decisions without information!!!

As a US Club member I was often waved in after a quick show of my card...sometimes they would ask for ID as well. Last year though I opted for a RCC membership instead of renewing with the US Club even though the vast majority of my travel is on US. The US Club agents always take down my RCC and flight information, the exception being in my home club.

At RCCs though they are required to swipe your BP or RCC club card for access. I'm sure this allows them to track club usage much more effectively than US.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by shell nyc
At RCCs though they are required to swipe your BP or RCC club card for access. I'm sure this allows them to track club usage much more effectively than US.

I'm shocked that US doesn't have the most advanced, up to date systems in the business.....
Old Mar 24, 2005, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA MM, DL MM
Originally Posted by phillyd2
What is US management thinking? hmm, how about maybe "we are losing money at these clubs?"
It is probable that on a per club or per passenger served basis, these clubs may have been more expensive, but that it the wrong factor to examine. When a decision is made to purchase a membership, one generally does not purchase solely for a single club, rather it is the network that is the deciding factor. As US loses the critical mass required to retain a valid network, its club membership rolls will collapse. With its a la carte pricing US can not claim that it has a network of affiliated clubs.

Now each passenger may value a certain club disproportionately. For me, that is the LAX club. Although I am based @ DCA, I would gladly give up that club, even as much as I like it, to keep LAX. The reason is simple, when I fly back on the redeyes, I would rather have a few minutes of sanity in the club that being forced to wait in the T1 madhouse.

What happens now?

With LAX closing, my incentive to fly US to LAX is nonexistent. As many mentioned, the First Class catering is a joke (the only time that I have ever been sick on a plane in 3M+ miles was my last US transcon after eating the dinner box contents), the planes are a mess and now no club. If I drop my frequent trips to LA, it will be nearly impossible for me to re-qualify as a US1 (after 7 years as a US1).

I will drop US altogether rather than waste my time on this visionless carrier. Instead, I will use my UA 1K or CO Plat status to fly to LAX on UA, CO or NW (which still have real catering in First, better maintained interiors, and oh yeah, clubs at LAX).

I sincerely doubt that US has even looked beyond the direct operating costs to determine the fallout from their decision. The complete lack of demonstrated respect that they have for the club members - for the majority this isn't free - by only giving one week notice is incredible. Thankfully, I am leaving for LAX tomorrow and I will be able to say goodbye and thank you to my friends there.

I can say, that it is probably "the last straw" for me, and that US lost 2 US1s with this stupid decision.

CWPFLY
Old Mar 25, 2005, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Talking

Sorry to say, but this is a good thing for HP. They've been waiting for US to move over to UA's terminal in order to take over the lounge.

Originally Posted by la2clt
She also said the RUMOR was that HP was looking into the current club site. This will make byrdluvsawaco very happy.
Happy indeed! ^ You all should be thankful you can't see me doing the "Go HP!" dance. It ain't pretty.

Originally Posted by ClueByFour
...and LAX will boot them to turn the gates over to Southwest).
They all won't go to WN. HP has a couple of shared gates with US. Besides, HP has made it clear to LAX that they want all of US's facilities in T1(counters, gates, club).
Old Mar 25, 2005, 5:26 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
For all we know, this may signal a vision of things to come. As US morphs into whatever it is going to ultimately be, an internal decision may have been reached to scale back ops -- or eliminate them altogether -- on the WEST COAST.

Not trying to stir up rumors at all, but one wonders if this is signaling an even lower priority for left coast markets.

Any reaction to that possibility??
Old Mar 25, 2005, 5:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by sbtinme
For all we know, this may signal a vision of things to come. As US morphs into whatever it is going to ultimately be, an internal decision may have been reached to scale back ops -- or eliminate them altogether -- on the WEST COAST.

Not trying to stir up rumors at all, but one wonders if this is signaling an even lower priority for left coast markets.

I see where you are coming from but I can't imagine that. Actually in a recent press release they added flights PHL-LAX/DEN and CLT-DEN/SEA and upgraded capacity on PHL-SEA effective May 8th. Cost per seat mile on a transcon is substantially lower than on an inter-east coast flight, pure and simple.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 5:52 pm

Did you ask Bruce for a refund of your club membership?
Old Mar 25, 2005, 9:29 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by sbtinme

Yes.

It sucks.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 7:57 am

Unhappy

Actually we should be thanking US for helping to wean us off their airline...first the flights, then the clubs, eventually more flights...then them!!
Old Mar 26, 2005, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by phillyguy
Did you ask Bruce for a refund of your club membership?

Not yet! I'm working on it today. But I'm NOT asking for a refund. I'm asking for the RCC add on for FREE!

He will get the letter and a nice tube of "Bimbo Red" lipstick.

If they come out of BK I am also thinking of buying a few shares of stock. just so I can attend the annual meeting and become one of those gadfly dissident shareholders who drive board of directors crazy.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 9:56 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
They are broke. Each week they have to decide what else to cut. In the case of LAX, they had already shut it during the day, which is often when you needed it, if you finished business in late afternoon, and had to wait around for the redeye. My guess is somebody will take the space, in which case you can simply join the replacement Club. Priority Pass is another alternative. PBI had already been on a reprieve, and down the road, in Ft. Lauderdale, where they have far more traffic these days, they never had one. As for Clubs in general, in some airports, the gate areas are less crowded. I went through a NW World Club in MSP earlier this week. Between the infants, the high school and college kids on break, and the normal traffic, it was a zoo. Raucus, no place to sit, and a crowd around the "refreshments" that could have played offensive line for the Vikings. I regret I'm old enough to remember when these lounges were by invitation only.It's been a long slide downward over the years, as the cost, and ratio of occupants to available space, have increased, while quality has diminished. No more petrified peas for three more deserving locales. What's it come to?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.