Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forever goodbye, hot food in domestic F...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2005, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: US1, NW, AA, SPG...
Forever goodbye, hot food in domestic F...

I finally got my call back from CA last night, they said that they spoke with the folks who manage catering and they "seriously doubt that there will ever again be hot food in first class on the PHL - PHX route". I think it's probably fair to assume that if they're not going to cater PHL - PHX they won't cater flights to LAX, SFO, or SEA either.

So... in a nutshell, they've continued to devolve the first class product, they've dramatically reduced opportunities to cash in miles for regular rewards, and now (as others have found on summer Europe routes) they're creating blackout zones for supposedly non-restricted premium awards.

It's hard to escape two conclusions. First, however much we (at least I) disagree, they're saying essentially that the only option for survival here is to admit that a seat on a plane is a commodity product and nothing else matters. The market for a truly premium product isn't meaningful, nor is the support of frequent, repeat customers. Second, that they're one for three - they haven't yet hit low cost or low fare, but they've hit the bullseye on low quality.

It's such a shame - there are some really good people working for this airline, at least on the front lines.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 8:58 am

I am really divided on this issue.

If U takes this lowering of cost to keep F fares affordable...ie < what travel departments will ***** about eg < ~$950...then I'd be happy to buy lower F Tix instead of upgrading with my CP benefit.

A decent meal of some sort is a nice thing though.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 9:23 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
By that same token, I seriously doubt I'm going to go out of my way to connect to US transcons anymore.

CCY really does not get it. AA and UA have better "midcon" meals in the front.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by ClueByFour
By that same token, I seriously doubt I'm going to go out of my way to connect to US transcons anymore.

very true.

i just did AA .. phl-stl-dfw-rno-dfw-phl...for schedule reasons. the food in F was OK, hot at least and served on all but the phl-stl route. I paid for a restricted F ticket about 1500, which seems cheap enough for all that flying.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 2:13 pm

Ditto for me

Originally Posted by ClueByFour

I'll keep all my transcon travel on UA and my limited east coast (N/S) flying on US.

Such a shame.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by bigred93
I finally got my call back from CA last night, they said that they spoke with the folks who manage catering and they "seriously doubt that there will ever again be hot food in first class on the PHL - PHX route". I think it's probably fair to assume that if they're not going to cater PHL - PHX they won't cater flights to LAX, SFO, or SEA either.

So... in a nutshell, they've continued to devolve the first class product, they've dramatically reduced opportunities to cash in miles for regular rewards, and now (as others have found on summer Europe routes) they're creating blackout zones for supposedly non-restricted premium awards.

It's hard to escape two conclusions. First, however much we (at least I) disagree, they're saying essentially that the only option for survival here is to admit that a seat on a plane is a commodity product and nothing else matters. The market for a truly premium product isn't meaningful, nor is the support of frequent, repeat customers. Second, that they're one for three - they haven't yet hit low cost or low fare, but they've hit the bullseye on low quality.

It's such a shame - there are some really good people working for this airline, at least on the front lines.

WHY ARE WE HAVING THIS DISCUSSION? I MEAN, IT IS SO OBVIOUS THAT US AIRWAYS HAS BECOME AND WILL CONTINUE TO BE THE WORST MAJOR US AIRLINE, SETTING UNPRESENTED CUTS OF SERVICE...
Old Mar 9, 2005, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by US1@ORF
I'll keep all my transcon travel on UA and my limited east coast (N/S) flying on US.

Such a shame.
And I'm going to be moving all my transcon travel to AA unless the fare on US is significantly lower.

Even though I have to "pay" for upgrades on AA with 500-mile certs, I've cleared into the front cabin 100% of the time on my IAD-LAX runs, and AA serves hot meals in F with cloth napkins, glass, china, and tablecloths (even little salt-pepper shakers). AA has made tremendous cutbacks in coach, but their domestic First Class service for now still remains top-notch.

I wonder how much a hot meal in F really costs US to provide compared to the current IFC boxes. If by not providing a real meal on transcons they're losing loyal customers, then the switch to IFC may actually cost US Airways money (lost revenue). Something to ponder.

US still has a great route network here on the East Coast, so I'll still be flying them enough to retain CP this year, but I enjoy the in-flight dining experience and AA is far superior in this respect on longer flights.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Yes. US F Class sucks. . .and is getting worse BUT it is better than TED. Especially as UA seems to be bent on turning over more and more domestic flying to TED. So, if you are flying to PHX/LAS or any destination in Florida you can be in a US F Class seat which is far more comfortable and more productive than TED or even a UA F Class seat. BUT if you are in it for the food, then the catering is an insult.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 7:59 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by wahooflyer

Even though I have to "pay" for upgrades on AA with 500-mile certs, I've cleared into the front cabin 100% of the time on my IAD-LAX runs, and AA serves hot meals in F with cloth napkins, glass, china, and tablecloths (even little salt-pepper shakers). AA has made tremendous cutbacks in coach, but their domestic First Class service for now still remains top-notch.
Heck, I've gotten that on several MIA-STL, MIA-PHL, and even JAX-DFW flights last year with AA. They even serve a cold plate on DFW-STL on real dishes.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Yep. And DCA-ORD (just over an hour flying time!) has full meal service in F on AA at mealtimes...usually cold but still fully plated.

The air marshals that are always on these flights must be happy to be fed.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 12:09 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Originally Posted by NeoOfTheCRS
Yes. US F Class sucks. . .and is getting worse BUT it is better than TED. Especially as UA seems to be bent on turning over more and more domestic flying to TED. So, if you are flying to PHX/LAS or any destination in Florida you can be in a US F Class seat which is far more comfortable and more productive than TED or even a UA F Class seat. BUT if you are in it for the food, then the catering is an insult.
That is an apples/oranges comparison. TED does not charge anywhere near $1,500 for a round trip ticket.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 6:25 am

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I wouldn't pay that for either UA or US. It is a valid comparison because in many (and a growing number of markets) TED is the only option for UA flyers. On TED you can't buy, much less upgrade to first class if you wanted to. So I fly US in these markets and the difference between TED and US First is pretty significant.

Originally Posted by JS
That is an apples/oranges comparison. TED does not charge anywhere near $1,500 for a round trip ticket.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 7:43 am

Programs: AA Plat
I like the space and drinks. I'm willing to do without a hot meal that probably wasn't that great to start with.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 7:47 am

Programs: CO Platinum, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz Presidents
Free Beer

At least the beer is still free
Old Mar 10, 2005, 7:56 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Not that we are going to have this, but I would trade food and drink for more comfortable seats anyday.

Would you like a leg rest sir? Yes. Ok, that will be $30 for the flight and an extra $15 for the lumbar support.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.