Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has Transcon F Meal Service Improved this week?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2005, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Has Transcon F Meal Service Improved this week?

Flying SFO - PHL on March 1 and hoping that I won't get the same "BOX" lunch I did on the way out. Ugh. Really, really poor offering -- I still am amazed that there aren't minimum acceptable standards laid out for 5 hour+ F flights meal service to be a part of *A. Wow. Talk about underwhelmed.

Just curious if anyone had reports from this past week for transcons.

FWIW, I was really floored with my half roast beef sandwich in F DEN - PHL two weeks ago. This is nuts.
Old Feb 26, 2005, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
San-phl

SAN-PHL #86 this morning...

Gate announcement that there was no catering done after the flight arrived last night. Result: no food whatsoever in coach and "limited" beverage service (read: whatever is leftover from inbound). Pax were strongly encouraged more than once to stock some provisions in their carry-on for the 5 hours flight.

FC literally had take out from the snack bar by the gate. They wheeled on hot bagel breakfast sandwiches in take-out bags, tossed fruit in individual plastic clam shells, and a case of bottled water for us. We had a pretty decent snack basket in terms of quantity but the limited on the good stuff, presumably eaten on the inbound.

FAs did a smashing job of presenting the breakfast, including a fancy fold of the usual US cocktail napkin around the plastic fork from the snack bar, and adding a biscotti from the snack basket to each meal. Once in the air, drink service was quite attentive, including coming around and emptying your can into your cup (eek...I was going to say glass!) and taking away the empty. They made us proud today, those US FAs.

All in all, a poor showing for the airline and I'm sure those in Y did not enjoy the flight the rest of us up front did. LOTS of grubbling in the gate area about bankruptcy, can't afford food for flights, "this is a joke", etc.

Last edited by EnvoyBoy; Feb 27, 2005 at 4:27 pm
Old Feb 26, 2005, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
The only transcon I've flown in the past week was the redeye from LAX-PIT on Wednesday night, where we were served the half roast beef sandwich. (Flew out on AA).
Old Feb 27, 2005, 7:40 pm

It seems to me that caterers aren't giving U any credit. Cash up front only. Or, U cannot find a caterer that is willing to take what U is willing to pay. If U wants folks to believe they have a superior product, then they had better have it. Otherwise, they ought to make it all coach and be done with it.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 11:29 pm

Not a caterer or payment issue! PHL has been "Stealing" Utility to do baggage handling functions due to the situation there.

Then there is the "Bistro Barf Bag" meals, which I understand is still the F/C meal.

Paging Sr. Management? We have a one car funeral that needs to be organized sometime soon. It's called PHL.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
FAs did a smashing job of presenting the breakfast, including a fancy fold of the usual US cocktail napkin around the plastic fork from the snack bar, and adding a biscotti from the snack basket to each meal. Once in the air, drink service was quite attentive, including coming around and emptying your can into your cup (eek...I was going to say glass!) and taking away the empty. They made us proud today, those US FAs.
Completely agree! No more flowers in the Envoy lav? Not a problem for the crew - they made a paper origami flower out of tissue
Old Feb 28, 2005, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by burghlaw
It seems to me that caterers aren't giving U any credit. Cash up front only. Or, U cannot find a caterer that is willing to take what U is willing to pay. If U wants folks to believe they have a superior product, then they had better have it. Otherwise, they ought to make it all coach and be done with it.

Well US Airways loves to claim they offer "appetizing menu choices" in First Class and expects to pay pennies for it. US Airways is not the industry leader (in terms of premium services) that it once was. In fact, it's starting to resemble Southwest more and more, without the significant SW profits, that is... LOL
Old Mar 8, 2005, 9:42 am

Programs: US1, NW, AA, SPG...
Just wanted to bump this topic... is it still (un)happy meals in first class or have they gone back to regular catering? I've emailed and called CA and gotten absolutely no answer whatsoever as to whether or not this change is temporary, or temporary that's intended to be permanent so long as people don't notice/complain too much.

Has anyone heard anything different? Still getting IFC in F on transcons?
Old Mar 8, 2005, 9:50 am

Programs: US1, AA Gold, Marriott Silver
DCA to LA (Via PHL)

I flew to LAX recently and the meal offered in First was the buy on board meal that was offered in Coach. It was a Turkey sandwich with chips and big cookie. There was also a salad offered that I did not try. The problem was that it was the exact same offering on the way back. It was alright and light years ahead of that God-awful half foccacia sandwich with the runny cole slaw that they were serving. Hope that helps.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 10:25 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Gold
Was on CLT-SEA last night in F, and box dinner was still offered. It's actually not that bad, though I confess I miss the formal dinner more than I thought I would.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Flew PHL-LAX yesterday. The F lunch offering was a turkey sandwich, chips & a white chocolate chip cookie or a salad & white chocolate chip cookie. IFC through & through.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 10:03 am

Flew MEX-CLT in F a week ago (not a transcon, but similar in duration), and there was a choice between ravioli and chicken. Opted for the chicken, which was surprisingly delicious: a nice breast served in some spicy tomato sauce with sweet potato/polenta type stuff & yes, cactus ("nopales", a Mexican dish). The whole thing was actually very good & tasty! There was also a salad & chocolate cake. So I guess on international non-Envoy routes catering is still OK?
Old Mar 9, 2005, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by chtiet
Flew MEX-CLT in F a week ago (not a transcon, but similar in duration), and there was a choice between ravioli and chicken. Opted for the chicken, which was surprisingly delicious: a nice breast served in some spicy tomato sauce with sweet potato/polenta type stuff & yes, cactus ("nopales", a Mexican dish). The whole thing was actually very good & tasty! There was also a salad & chocolate cake. So I guess on international non-Envoy routes catering is still OK?

Hard to use MEX as a comparison for other routes. MEX is a city that can still generate legitimate F business (i.e. paid F). As CLT is US's only gateway to MEX, it seems that they have decided to retain F food on this route. I know that other domestic carriers (CO, for example) consider MEX to be a "South American" business destination like Lima or Buenos Aires and cater it as such. Perhaps US is doing the same .... for now.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Hmmm...does anyone else fine it interesting that US is "between catering vendors" on the domestic transcons, but not the It'l flights? It seems to me like the F vendor would be consistent throughout their route network.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 3:19 pm

Programs: US1
I just got this E mail from Delta:

Dear Mr. XXXXX,
Since you are a valued SkyMiles member, we want to let you know about changes we are making to our in-flight offerings beginning April 3, 2005.

The following modifications—like other recent changes such as simplifying the SkyMiles® Medallion program, charging a more consistent $50 fee for frequently requested travel services and introducing SimpliFares™ nationwide—are part of our commitment to provide you with a more value-driven, simple and streamlined travel experience.

We are making the following changes to our existing food offerings on Delta and Delta Connection® carrier flights within the 48 contiguous states, Canada and select flights to Central America and the Caribbean.

In First Class, and Economy Class on flights greater than 1½ hours, you will be offered a choice of complimentary name-brand snacks.

When flying in Economy Class on flights longer than 3½ hours, you will also receive a Snack Pack filled with crackers, cheese and cookies and will no longer have the option to acquire food through our Food for Purchase program.

Complimentary meal service will continue to be offered in First Class on flights longer than 3½ hours, on international flights longer than 5 hours and on Hawaii and Alaska flights.

Lastly, food offerings on Song® and Delta Shuttle® flights will not change at this time.

For more details on Delta's new food service and to see what is offered on your upcoming flight, please visit delta.com/food.

Effective April 3, alcoholic beverages will increase to $5 in Economy Class on Delta and Delta Connection carrier flights. Beverage offerings and prices on Song flights will not be affected by these changes.

Effective March 15, we will no longer carry pillows on flights within the 48 contiguous states or flights between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central America or the Caribbean.

We are transforming Delta to provide you with an experience that is simpler, more consistent and offers everyday value. And, of course, you can continue to expect the outstanding service and warm hospitality of Delta's people. We appreciate your support, and we thank you for flying with us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.