Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has Transcon F Meal Service Improved this week?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2005, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Me, too!

Originally Posted by wahooflyer
I'm 99% sure the hot breakfast from SAN was an anomaly; see my post on the previous page about SAN catering difficulties.
I had the same experience. See my post on page one of this thread.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 10:04 pm

Location: The First State, USA - Bonvoy Gold, Honors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Gold - FWIW
Me thinks that US will, at some point, stop all transcon flying.

All that talk about "focusing on the East Coast and the Caribbean..." and all those RJs that keep coming -via newfound investments by AirWhiskey and Republic- might give one that impression, anyway...
Old Mar 17, 2005, 6:57 am

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Originally Posted by Arrzee
Me thinks that US will, at some point, stop all transcon flying.

All that talk about "focusing on the East Coast and the Caribbean..." and all those RJs that keep coming -via newfound investments by AirWhiskey and Republic- might give one that impression, anyway...
But you need something to feed all that Caribbean traffic from the left coast... unless UA codeshares could do that?
Old Mar 17, 2005, 8:04 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by jimcfsus
But you need something to feed all that Caribbean traffic from the left coast... unless UA codeshares could do that?
Or Europeans coming in on US or *A.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Breakfast on CLT-DEN was a bagel and a fruit plate, is that the standard FC fare for breakfast? or was that a snack?
Old Mar 17, 2005, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Breakfast on CLT-DEN was a bagel and a fruit plate, is that the standard FC fare for breakfast? or was that a snack?
Prior to February 1st when meal service was drastically slashed, that would have been a snack. Although UA offers a full meal during the appropriate window of time to DEN from the east coast, US has only ever offered snack service PHL or CLT to Denver.

Not that you would have gotten it CLT-DEN but breakfast prior to February 1st would have been two hot choices (something egg-based and something bready--like pancakes, waffles, etc) and a cold cereal/fruit/yougart option.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I really think NW has a nice happy medium when it comes to their First class meal services. They aren't really elaborate, only have two choices on each flight, rotate among about 10-12 different lunch/dinner meals, etc. yet I never really feel let down after I eat. UA goes way overboard in some cases (e.g., I got a full meal service ORD-IAD, which is ridiculous) and US is just absurd when it comes to meal service.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Has anybody flown the 9:30AM LAX-PHL flight since the latest downgrade in meal service? Do they still serve breakfast on that flight? My parents are Kosher, but will only eat vegetarian. They are hoping to get the breakfast box, since neither lunch box choices are vegetarian.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum HH Gold
3/16 - PIT-SFO . . . got the dreaded box in first. I wish they would charge $7 less for the ticket and I will bring a bag of pretzels on the flight . . . a warm yogurt and hard sandwich hardly seem worth the trouble . . .
Old Mar 19, 2005, 2:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold
another idea

How would people feel if US only offered FC on flights domestically to:
LAX/SFO/SEA/DEN/PHX/LAS/MCI/DFW/MSY/MCO/FLL/DFW/SJU/IAH

The service on these flights would be all Airbus, with specific equipment paired to these routes. Four course meals, the works, everything. All other a/c would be converted to a MRTC configuration and it would be standard service throughout.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 5:58 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sfeinberg
How would people feel if US only offered FC on flights domestically to:
Nah. I like my big seats and free alcohol, even on shorter flights.

Plus, an FC cabin---even if all the seats are given away as comp upgrades to Preferred members---is still a great tool for building loyalty to US Airways. If I wanted coach, I'd fly JetBlue, which has a much better Y product anyway (but a worthless frequent flyer program).
Old Mar 20, 2005, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by wahooflyer
Nah. I like my big seats and free alcohol, even on shorter flights.

Plus, an FC cabin---even if all the seats are given away as comp upgrades to Preferred members---is still a great tool for building loyalty to US Airways. If I wanted coach, I'd fly JetBlue, which has a much better Y product anyway (but a worthless frequent flyer program).
Agreed - I've been pretty vocal about US F downgrades - but even out of plasticwear - my trip this weekend reminded me how wonderful an upgrade is - even just for the seat and a coat hanger after a miserable 6B BNA-CLT that circled forever. Cleared 3 out of 4 BNA-CLT-LGA-CLT-BNA flights 90-100% full in Y as a Silver. Companion got cleared on all three. Was quite happy.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 5:59 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
[QUOTE=sfeinberg]How would people feel if US only offered FC on flights domestically to:

Having to sit in the back nearly incites me to riot and, at the very least, burst into tears (unless I get row 8 on the dreaded F8 757). If US curtailed F to the above listed cities I would jump ship faster than you could say "we ask that you use the lavatory in your ticketed cabin."

For me it's not about the booze (though I never fret when a pre-departure cocktail mysteriously appears). I like the big comfy seat, more room to get work done and the seatback art that has become standard on US. No one else offers seatback art as a component of IFE.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 8:49 am

Had to buy a first class tix

Due to a last minute business trip (less than 24 hours notice), I had to buy a first class ticket on a flight that was completely booked in coach. Checked both US and UA and the situation was the same, only first class seats left on the flights with the departure and arrival times that worked for me. With the recent downgrading of US first, I was inclined to book UA and had no regrets. Warm nuts and a hot gourmet meal. Also, it was $400 cheaper than the US fare for first and I did not have to connect.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Domestic UA F and domestic US F are in two totally different leagues. If you're buying F, buy UA. Only a fool would buy a US F ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.