Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has Transcon F Meal Service Improved this week?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2005, 9:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by bigred93
Quote from an email from CA (rec'vd today, a while after the fact...)

"At this time, there is not a specific time if and when First Class meals will
return to normal. I regret our decision to offer In-flight Cafe is not
appealing to you. Your comments have been reported to our Dining Director for future consideration."

Or, as Sponge Bob would say, "good luck with that!"
The "if" is scary. I sent an e-mail to [email protected] saying I wanted to book transcon summer travel and wanted an answer and if not I would fly UA because at least I would get guaranteed E+ vs. chance of E- on US and chance of ****ty F on the grounds guaranteed E+ was better if the F product that wasn't guaranteed was bad. We'll see what kind of response this get's.

I have lost all respect for US. I reminded them in this e-mail that UA (also in bankruptcy) just restored meal service on not only PHL-ORD but the even shorter IAD/BWI/DCA-ORD. Comes with linen and god forbid, glasses too.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:03 pm

Location: The First State, USA - Bonvoy Gold, Honors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Gold - FWIW
Originally Posted by sts603
... I sent an e-mail to [email protected] saying I wanted to book transcon summer travel and wanted an answer and if not I would fly UA because at least I would get guaranteed E+ vs. chance of E- on US and chance of ****ty F on the grounds guaranteed E+ was better if the F product that wasn't guaranteed was bad. ....
Come again...?
Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Arrzee
Come again...?
Wow....long day. Realize that post makes no sense.

I'll try again. I actually sent an e-mail to [email protected] the other day with a question about the meal service. I explained that I was booking summer transcon's and had a dilema. I can book UA and get guaranteed E+ (with a more comfortable seat all around) or book US and get the chance of F or else just plane Y. If the F product is decent - I'll take the chance and book US. I told them if they can't tell me when IFC will be removed from F, I'll just book UA and at least know I can get a nice E+ ride. I also reminded them that UA, also in bankruptcy has restored meal-service on PHL/BWI/IAD/DCA-ORD and I'm sure some other 90mins - 2 hour flights. It's reportedly quite good too. Linens and glasses included.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 5:08 am

I think it's perhaps time to consider that US AIrways is an airline in transition. I think it's safe to say that the return of a full blown meal service in Domestic First Class is gone forever.

The economics aren't there and won't be until at least 2006. Look at the deals they cut to stay afloat. Meal service in F that is tasty/elegant would NOT be on the top of my list of issues to address now if I were US Airways management.

US Airways is IMO embarking on a bold new business model. One that offers lower more rationalized fares (ultimately) with some (not all) of the amenities of the traditional Legacy carrier. Will they succeed?? I hope so.

While the Ice Cream cart, Cloth Napkins, real Silverware/glassware & Hot Meals have gone the way of the covered wagon we still have the Snack Basket, Free Booze, Unlimited upgrades, the CP desk & a nice big fat seat in front.

For me that's a tradeoff I can live with. Outsource the CP desk and eliminate the snack basket and I'm probably GONE.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 7:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PineyBob
I think it's perhaps time to consider that US AIrways is an airline in transition. I think it's safe to say that the return of a full blown meal service in Domestic First Class is gone forever.

The economics aren't there and won't be until at least 2006. Look at the deals they cut to stay afloat. Meal service in F that is tasty/elegant would NOT be on the top of my list of issues to address now if I were US Airways management.

US Airways is IMO embarking on a bold new business model. One that offers lower more rationalized fares (ultimately) with some (not all) of the amenities of the traditional Legacy carrier. Will they succeed?? I hope so.

While the Ice Cream cart, Cloth Napkins, real Silverware/glassware & Hot Meals have gone the way of the covered wagon we still have the Snack Basket, Free Booze, Unlimited upgrades, the CP desk & a nice big fat seat in front.

For me that's a tradeoff I can live with. Outsource the CP desk and eliminate the snack basket and I'm probably GONE.
It may very well not be in the front of management's mind but I think they be miselead in it's importance for two reasons....1) pissing off preferred's. most of us usually pick an airline to stay loyal to because it works best with our travel habits. for a few who have a choice, this matters - roach fares or not - revenue is revenue and it is at stake.....but bigger revenue at stake with 2.) REVENUE F....there are still a whole flock of people out there who are authorized to fly first class - read most lawyers and most bankers and a good number of exec. suite types...yes, they will likely pick an airline based on schedule but there is still a good amount of overlap. If I flew F all the time, preferred status means little and here is how I would choose....PHL-ATL - DL over US for no reason other than glasses vs. cups for the free booze and a better schedule that comes with it...PHL-LAX/SFO - UA for a FAR superior meal service, linens, plates, silverware, glasses, good food, and everything.

US has a lot ot loose in it'a attempt to gain cheap pax from WN.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 7:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by sts603
If I flew F all the time, preferred status means little and here is how I would choose....PHL-ATL - DL over US for no reason other than glasses vs. cups for the free booze and a better schedule that comes with it...
Not anymore -- check out the DL board. No more glassware in F on domestic flights.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 7:44 am

Programs: US1, NW, AA, SPG...
Originally Posted by PineyBob

I agree with you to a point, and as I said earlier I do find it a little funny that I'm pining away for *more* airline food. But I'm more concerned about the death by a thousand cuts aspect. First it was the ice cream cart, then silverware and glassware, then hot food, and they keep cutting and cutting and presuming that nobody's going to care. The next step in the continuum could well involve some of the things you hold near and dear. They're already outsourcing a lot of the call center function. Is the CP desk far behind? I can easily imagine them saying, shoot, we spend a lot of money on all the choices in the basket, and them XOXOs are expensive. What's the difference with pretzels anyway?

So that's what scares me - sure, they're an airline in transition and we need to give 'em a break. I want them to survive. But I want them to survive as an airline that I'd actually want to do business with. The direction they're going, they're perilously close to becoming not that. If they survive but become SW in the process, it's still a loss in my book.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
Please do post your PHL-SAN FC meal service. Thanks!

The meal last night, CLT - SAN, was a turkey and swiss cheese croissant with a few grapes on a small clear plastic tray. Served with some shortbread cookies. This was the same meal they have been serving for the last couple of weeks. Maybe my hot breakfast flight meal was an anomoly!
Old Mar 16, 2005, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I can't tell if US has figured out what it's trying to become. I think therein lies the problem: an identity crisis of epic proportions. If they're testing the waters in hopes of transforming into a low cost carrier, it will never work: There is way too much competition out there. They'll get eaten alive by the existing LCC's who know what they're doing and are much better at it than US could ever be, given current management.

Obviously US is continuing to fail at being a "full service carrier," or they would not be in the situation they're in. Additionally, US's route structure is just not conducive to this business model in today's environment. The bread and butter domestic routes where corporations pay top dollar and Hollywood unions require paid F for their members are the transcons between the New York area, the D.C. area, and the west coast.

If, on the other hand, they are attempting to transform into a "low cost, full service carrier," more power to them, since this is the niche they could potentially fill successfully. I think there is a huge market out there for both business and leisure travelers who want the benefits of a full service carrier with the fare structure of a LCC, but without the limitations of a LCC. Service downgrades are to be expected in a "low cost, full service" environment. But the transformation cannot be implemented surreptitiously in the dark of night. It should be consistent throughout the route network, publicized heavily to its core customer base, and really requires a huge marketing effort a la the 1997 re-branding. At least this way US's customers can make informed loyalty decisions. Those customers who value a four course hot meal and real glassware over reasonably priced flexible tickets can request a status match or challenge from another airline.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 10:12 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Brilliant!

Originally Posted by bigred93
So that's what scares me - sure, they're an airline in transition and we need to give 'em a break. I want them to survive. But I want them to survive as an airline that I'd actually want to do business with. The direction they're going, they're perilously close to becoming not that. If they survive but become SW in the process, it's still a loss in my book.
WOW--this completely summarizes my feelings!!

I think the biggest problem now is that they're only charging LCC fares on some routes but acting like a LCC on all routes.

Sure, I'll put up with plastic cups and a diminishing snack basket (Ruffles, really?) to fly PHL-RDU for less than $100 + upgrade. LCC product = LCC fare.

However, I will not pay a premium A or FC fare on a transcon to get the same LCC product. If it's $1200 PHL-SFO on both UA and US (which it is), then I'm going UA where I get the premium product for the premium price. As sts603 said, they're losing the premium fares.

They can't be a low fare carrier system-wide but only offer low fare fares in select markets.

I've booked my next two transcons on UA. If I'm paying that much, I deserve a quality meal and my vodka in an actual glass. It makes me sad but I'm not going to supplement or encourage US's poor choices.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
WOW--this completely summarizes my feelings!!

I think the biggest problem now is that they're only charging LCC fares on some routes but acting like a LCC on all routes.

Sure, I'll put up with plastic cups and a diminishing snack basket (Ruffles, really?) to fly PHL-RDU for less than $100 + upgrade. LCC product = LCC fare.

However, I will not pay a premium A or FC fare on a transcon to get the same LCC product. If it's $1200 PHL-SFO on both UA and US (which it is), then I'm going UA where I get the premium product for the premium price. As sts603 said, they're losing the premium fares.

They can't be a low fare carrier system-wide but only offer low fare fares in select markets.

I've booked my next two transcons on UA. If I'm paying that much, I deserve a quality meal and my vodka in an actual glass. It makes me sad but I'm not going to supplement or encourage US's poor choices.

Funny, a few months ago you criticized how much I hated US Airways because I said that the meals they were giving in First Class were unacceptable. You also mentioned that meals were not important to you. Interesting, now you are switching to United (which is actually smart), so I guess I was right after all when I said that United has a much better product.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by JAX Flier
The meal last night, CLT - SAN, was a turkey and swiss cheese croissant with a few grapes on a small clear plastic tray. Served with some shortbread cookies. This was the same meal they have been serving for the last couple of weeks. Maybe my hot breakfast flight meal was an anomoly!

I think you got the standard "red-eye" meal, which these days is better than the regular Inflight Cafe boxed meals they are giving in F.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 4:26 pm
Suspended

This is just depressing. I can't wait until I can switch back to UA when my travel plans allow it.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by fly747first
Funny, a few months ago you criticized how much I hated US Airways because I said that the meals they were giving in First Class were unacceptable. You also mentioned that meals were not important to you. Interesting, now you are switching to United (which is actually smart), so I guess I was right after all when I said that United has a much better product.
I welcome you to post a link to where I ever disagreed that United had a better product in FC. I also welcome you to post a link to where I ever said meals were not important to me.

What I have said in the past is that service and Empower were of great importance to me--both of which I found superior on US.

Furthermore, I've also said that, as far as meals go, my expectations are not for five-star dining and that what they had been previously serving was perfectly acceptable, although not impressive. Combined with the Empower and the level of service, the collective product was such that I was willing to continue to pay premium fares.

Where I do draw the line, however, is between a hot meal versus a meal-in-a-box. Coming directly from work to the airport, the service and Empower no longer balance what passes for "meal service" in US FC and, accordingly, I will now fly UA when paying premium fares for transcons.

I am fully prepared to apologize if I said what you claim I said and invite you post the links to said threads.

Finally, as I believe in the importance of a certain degree of propriety, I sincerely doubt that I ever criticized you so much as I simply disagreed with you and posted an opinion that was contrary to your own.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by fly747first
I think you got the standard "red-eye" meal, which these days is better than the regular Inflight Cafe boxed meals they are giving in F.
Yes. The small sandwich with grapes (and maybe an XOXO if you're lucky) is still the standard meal on transcon lunch, late evening westbound, and red-eye eastbound flights. I agree that it's better quality, and a better presentation, than the IFC boxes, but the portion size isn't as big.

I'm 99% sure the hot breakfast from SAN was an anomaly; see my post on the previous page about SAN catering difficulties.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.