Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Split a RT Mileage Upgrade Award

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2004, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Location: controlling the internets from an underground bunker
Programs: So l33t that I don't need a wallet full of cards to prove it. Black is the new Gold.
Split a RT Mileage Upgrade Award

Ok, so it's pretty clear that domestic/carribean upgrade awards must be purchased as a RT upgrade.

But, instead of upgrading one person both ways, let's say I wanted to upgrade 2 people the same direction. Or better yet, do a one-way upgrade now, and save the "other half" for another trip. Is this doable?

A few years back, I upgraded both my father and I PHL-SFO-PHL using 2 US20's and we stoodby for an earlier return flight, which we got on, but in coach. So, since I still had two paper "half US20" coupons in my hand, I used them to upgrade myself on my next transcon (they overlooked the fact that one had my father's name on it). So it seems like it's "possible" to split a RT upgrade into two one-ways.

Any other experiences?
Old Dec 27, 2004, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by markbach
Ok, so it's pretty clear that domestic/carribean upgrade awards must be purchased as a RT upgrade.

But, instead of upgrading one person both ways, let's say I wanted to upgrade 2 people the same direction. Or better yet, do a one-way upgrade now, and save the "other half" for another trip. Is this doable?

A few years back, I upgraded both my father and I PHL-SFO-PHL using 2 US20's and we stoodby for an earlier return flight, which we got on, but in coach. So, since I still had two paper "half US20" coupons in my hand, I used them to upgrade myself on my next transcon (they overlooked the fact that one had my father's name on it). So it seems like it's "possible" to split a RT upgrade into two one-ways.

Any other experiences?
Here's my only experience with this:

I helped a friend book a trip MSY-CLT-BWI, 3 days spent there, then BWI-LGA, 3 days spent there, then LGA-PHL-MSY. The CP desk let me use 20K miles to upgrade his MSY-CLT-BWI trip and then the LGA-PHL-MSY legs no questions asked. They did state that if I wanted to upgrade all 3 trips, it would have cost me another 20K. The BWI-LGA leg was on a prop plane anyway, so that wasn't an issue.

good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.