Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CHAOS on Christmas Eve

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2004, 11:25 pm

A Perfect Storm?

I think several issues probably came into play on Friday, all of which conspired to create a mess across the system. I'm not saying that the union employees aren't responsible for it, but it sounds like it wasn't all their fault either.

1. We all know that PHL was never built to be what Pittsburgh was, namely, the massive east-west, north-south hub. PHL works great as a O & D hub, with a few connections, but as an omni-hub, PHL simply lacks the infrastructure that PIT had, thus you end up with more lost bags (PIT had a state of the art baggage system), delays due to the lanes being blocked between concourses (in some cases they're too narrow for planes to pass through), and fewer gates (US had like 57 or so mainline plus like 20 dedicated Express gates in PIT). Thus, one one of the biggest travel days of the year, it ain't surprising that PHL ops went to he**.

2. The Ohio River Valley Storm affected three of the big midwest hubs, CLE, CVG, and DTW. As a result, I'm guessing that a fair number of these passengers may have been put onto US flights, increasing the strain on PHL's already stressed infrastructure. In addition, it probably made it difficult for crew members commuting to PHL, especially those that work for the Express operations, from the areas that were hit by the storm impossible because of both the snow and the fact that the backlogged passengers sucked up all of the seats into PHL and the rest of the US system.

3. FAA Time Regulations probably made it very difficult for many US pilots and crews to work. Not much that can be done here except to bring back more pilots and crews.

4. The sick action, in addition to the above, just made everything worse due to the fact that US was already running short of crews because of #3. This is inexcusable on Christmas Eve and I think these workers should be disciplined.

Finally, to the person who said that the workers should work out an agreement with US like it used to be done should be reminded that management has basically been using BK courts as a convenient way to impose new work rules and wages on the employees without much negotiation. The corporate management hasn't exactly been acting in good faith of late either and they share some of the blame with the employees.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 12:25 am
Suspended

This is all so awful!!! Just saw a report on FOX--totally castigating. It's so unfair to see such a fine airline made to look so bad. It is really important all US Airways fans stand by U during these difficult and trying times.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 6:18 am

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
Perspective Counts!

Living in the PHL area, we watch the news about the travel SNAFU at PHL this Christmas holiday. The salient points that one discerns from listening carefully to several news sources or reading the papers is that ALL airlines at PHL experience weather-related delays and cancellations. Not-so-surprising is that US, a PHL hub airline, is especially affected by the weather.

It also seems that PHL baggage handlers call out sick in large numbers on this holiday day, and this, combined with PHL's already shakey baggage system creates a worse than usual baggage situation.

So in waltz the local TV stations with cameras rolling who emphasize upset pax and the baggage end of the story because the rows of bags lined up in baggage claim is the best visual that they have to tell their story. In the usual 30 second soundbye manner which is so typical of TV these days, reporters' analysis is weak and nebulous and passing or no reference is made to flight crews and FAA regulations which is also a contributing factor.

Now I empathize with the pax because how else is one suppossed to feel when their travel plans are disrupted at Christmas? But perspective counts and as GSP Flyer mentions in his post, most of the problem is weather-related. Additionally, Galley Wench mentions very early in this thread that there is not an inordinate amount of FAs calling in sick that day.

In truth, US takes it on the chin because of weather-related delays combined with truculant baggage handlers in PHL. So the real story is that most US employees do their job to the best of their ability while a handful of jerks call out sick and make a bad situation worse.

Barry
Old Dec 26, 2004, 6:46 am

Programs: US1
Originally Posted by CPRich
Since you highlighted/colored this sentence, I assume you are implying that weather caused all the problems.

And yet, you also posted:

US AIRWAYS SPECIAL BULLETIN REGARDING HOLIDAY TRAVEL
We sincerely apologize for the operational disruptions that have impacted holiday travel. Our efforts to recover from the severe weather on Thursday were complicated when some of our employees chose to call in sick at record numbers over the weekend.

When the FAA issues a traffic stop for PHL "FOR USAIRWAYS ONLY" I don't think it's the weather.
NO CP Rich. I highlighted the sentence because I could not believe what I was reading.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 8:13 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver. Back of the plane on everyone else.
Does anyone know how things have sorted themselves out thus far? Those of us who have flights this afternoon (direct to DCA) are trying to figure out whether or not we should expect total hell, or whether things have smoothed themselves out...

I very much want to believe that this is just a horrible coincidence with the weather, end-of-year and end-of-month FAA regs on flight time maximums for flight attendants, and just a higher than average number of people who genuinely were sick calling out. I hope for US' sake that's the truth, because if this really was an organized action by anyone, it sure does not give a lot of confidence to the airline.

I also hope that US sent a big Christmas card to Comair, whose own (unfortunate) disaster at least took some of the press off of US. Hopefully they can sort their own things out soon too.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 10:55 am

Find it really interesting that the airlines having all the major, major, problems this holiday season are the ones in the most financial and employee relations trouble.

Seems to be running smoothly at CO,AA,NW

Planned chaos or not something is fishy
Old Dec 26, 2004, 11:12 am

Programs: US lowlife
Originally Posted by fazak38
Find it really interesting that the airlines having all the major, major, problems this holiday season are the ones in the most financial and employee relations trouble.

Seems to be running smoothly at CO,AA,NW

Planned chaos or not something is fishy
Agreed, unofficial or official, its definitely fishy. Apparently 222 sickouts isn't too many, but people can be at work and still cause issues.

Waaaay fishy. I've told airdiva to be on standby to burn miles real quick if need be.

-JC
Old Dec 26, 2004, 2:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver, Hilton HHonors Silver, Hertz Gold
Smile

Seems like the striking employees will get what they want - put a fork in this turkey its dead.

I assume the union will help them get unemployment.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 2:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver, Hilton HHonors Silver, Hertz Gold
Smile

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/10500999.htm

The union employees are making thier money while they can -- tips ... :-)

By Robert Moran

Inquirer Staff Writer

Francisco Rojas desperately wanted to attend his mother's funeral in the Dominican Republic this week.

But yesterday, like hundreds of others, he found himself at Philadelphia International Airport, wondering what to do about his canceled U.S. Airways flight and his family's six missing pieces of luggage.

With no hope of flying out of Philadelphia, he spent more than $1,000 to book a flight on another airline out of New York. His son was driving from their home in Passaic, N.J., to pick up Rojas, his wife and his sister and take them to Kennedy International Airport.

But Rojas, 49, who had flown out of LaGuardia Airport to make connections in Philadelphia, faced a dilemma: What if U.S. Airways couldn't find his luggage before his son arrived?

"I can't wait another day, but I don't know if I can leave without my luggage," said Rojas, standing amid rows of unclaimed suitcases and duffels.

There were many more tales like his yesterday as US Airways continued, for a third day, to struggle with canceled flights and lost baggage.

Many travelers fumed at the beleaguered airline. Never again, they vowed. But first they had to find their bags.

"I just gave a baggage handler 100 bucks," said Peter Haber, 44, of central New Jersey.

Haber said he had offered the incentive, believing that it might increase his chances of finding his bags. It was on top of $20 he'd given another handler earlier, he said.

Haber and his wife, Lisa, 36, who is seven months pregnant, were planning to fly to San Juan, Puerto Rico, to celebrate their one-year anniversary and to enjoy one last vacation before the baby comes.

Now the trip was history.

"We're done. We're finished. We just want our bags," Haber said.

In Terminal B, the Mother of All Airport Lines snaked back and forth in front of the bank of U.S. Airways counters, stretching nearly the length of the sprawling terminal.

At one point yesterday, Cliff Oberholtzer, 46, of Mount Laurel, was the last person in a hundreds-long line dedicated to people whose flights had been canceled.

Oberholtzer and his wife, Gwen, had been scheduled to fly to Miami for a cruise that was to leave today. They checked their bags two hours before the 1:05 p.m. flight, but by the time they got to the gate, it had been canceled.

"If they hadn't taken my bags, I would have just put them in my car and driven" to Florida, Oberholtzer said. "Now they have my bags hostage."

Had he paid any employees for help in locating his luggage?

"I wouldn't say that - out loud," he replied with a brief smile. Then his sense of doom returned. "In less than 24 hours, the boat takes off."

For some, there was good news.

Regina McDonough, 56, of Jacksonville, Fla., had come to Philadelphia to visit her family for Christmas. She arrived Friday evening dressed in a red Santa outfit and a furry Eagles cap. But her luggage was nowhere to be found.

"I'm going to have to dress like this all week," she complained as she waited in a line for people whose luggage was missing.

Then suddenly she spotted her suitcase nearby and shrieked with joy.

"Merry Christmas, everybody!" she told the people still in line. "Have faith. I found it. You'll find yours."
Old Dec 26, 2004, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
This is all really sAD

It also reminds me why I NEVER put anything in checked luggage that I cant temporarily live without. Actually, I DONT check but I remind my kids of the above
Old Dec 26, 2004, 3:42 pm

Programs: Priceline Blood Diamond Elite. Peon on DL, AA, UA, US, and WN.
I haven't checked baggage in about 7 years. Even for my international flights, I always send baggage via either UPS or Fedex (yes, it costs a lot, but for me, the peace of mind is worth it). Always waiting for me at my hotels or with family or friends who I've sent to. Or, just pack everything I can onto my carry-on.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 3:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
I don't buy off on the baggage problem.
Mom and I were to fly Zurich/Munich/PHL/Fort Myers, FL on 12/18 Eurowings/US Air

1st leg late takeoff due to eqt change, TransAtlantic leg late due to high winds. Arrived to PHL 40 min late and had to wait 47 Minutes for the bags to come out to pass thru customs and be rechecked. Of course to only bagage carts were in the paid racks and of course they were all out of order. All the folks from Europe were confused as they are free in their homeland (which they should be here for the 100foot shlep thru customs.)
Got to the a-f security checkpoint and watched as the TSA shut down all but 1 machine and 3-4 agents for about 600 people from multiple flights.
Of course by the time through security we missed our flight and had to then go PHL/Charlotte/Fort Myers, arriving 3 hours late.

On arrival to RSW no one from the Munich flight (25 of us) had no baggage. We were told that this is an EVERYDAY problem as customs tells the baggage guys not to unload many planes at once to no clog up customs.
After all the problems, I will choose to not connect intl through PHL again. The distance to be travelled, the lack of handicapped assistance and the security screening problems are unexcusable.
US Air did deliver our bags to the house the next day, everything intact.
I don't blame the airline, but think that this might be the nail in the coffin as far as PR is concerned.

JudyJFLA
Old Dec 26, 2004, 4:52 pm

Anyone flying through PHL (or any other station) see a visible presence from management? I truly hope that every available Manager and exec was working this weekend to improve situation for the airline and its passengers.

I wonder how many executives/managers avoided problems that occurred during the holiday weekend and are waiting until Monday to deal with them?
Old Dec 26, 2004, 5:33 pm
Suspended

re holiday blues

Us airways may fail, but i hope it sets an example that if an airline thinks its going to make employees pay for insurance, no benefits with the exeption of NONrev travel ( which is impossible to use because we are filling seats for 29.00 roundtrip ) and paying employees less now than in 1979 for the same job with twice the duty. (after 911) if i worked there i would shut her down too.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA (US) gold, HH gold, Bonvoy gold
Originally Posted by COKEpusher30000
Us airways may fail, but i hope it sets an example that if an airline thinks its going to make employees pay for insurance, no benefits with the exeption of NONrev travel ( which is impossible to use because we are filling seats for 29.00 roundtrip ) and paying employees less now than in 1979 for the same job with twice the duty. (after 911) if i worked there i would shut her down too.
They will pay a wage and offer benefits competative with similar work at other places - enough to get a full and qualified workforce. Just like the other carriers e.g. Southwest and Jetblue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.