Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CHAOS on Christmas Eve

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2004, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I had to fly my dad from CVG-PIT yesterday and return him to CVG tomorrow. I wasnt untrusting of US but since they didnt had non-stops booked him on Delta aka Comair. Take a look at what was happening there and still is. They are shut down. Totally shut down. Yesterday only delayed about 8 hours and I couldnt get any information for hours. US at PIT seemed to be in a lot better shape than Delta. Since his flight from PIT tomorrow was cancelled on Comair I bought him a one way ticket on US. Thank god for the CP line. They came through again.
DL has been quite the incompetent carrier today. Can't get through on any of the phone lines to make normal types of same day flight changes. I guess those 30,000 pax who trusted that DL would get them to their destinations for the holiday needed a little help.

You would think it never snowed more than a few inches in the mid west or Ohio Valley. To say the system was "overwhelmed" by the weather sounds fishy. My pc works when it snows outside.....

Old Dec 25, 2004, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
According to an employee over on US Aviation, US had ~11,000 misdirected/missing bags as of 10pm on 12/24. Makes for a great Christmas for passengers
Old Dec 25, 2004, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by US AIRWAYS FAN
Kudwa says the problem is because of flights canceled due to the weather and regulations that mandate rest periods for flight crews.
Since you highlighted/colored this sentence, I assume you are implying that weather caused all the problems.

And yet, you also posted:

US AIRWAYS SPECIAL BULLETIN REGARDING HOLIDAY TRAVEL
We sincerely apologize for the operational disruptions that have impacted holiday travel. Our efforts to recover from the severe weather on Thursday were complicated when some of our employees chose to call in sick at record numbers over the weekend.

When the FAA issues a traffic stop for PHL "FOR USAIRWAYS ONLY" I don't think it's the weather.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold
Is this enough to push them into liquidation? tls
Old Dec 25, 2004, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thelostshark
Is this enough to push them into liquidation? tls
Well--IMHO--I am just amazed that they put up on their web site a message for the whole world to read that basically says that either

----- their employees are either willing to use the airline's pax as a hostage to get the airline to cave into demands or

----- that the employees pretty much just don't care anymore.

Neither choice gives the traveling public much incentive to stick with US, especially those who missed the holidays with families...

Last edited by chicagorich; Dec 25, 2004 at 7:06 pm Reason: spelling
Old Dec 25, 2004, 7:59 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Random Muses About Xmas Chaos

I was a tad impressed with their web site message since it did not try to spin the whole thing off on weather, etc. Although maybe they had no choice since there were rampant media reports about sick outs.

However, I still don't think any of the majors do good damage control. Why not dress Bruce Lakefield like Santa, and have him report from PHL, and give all the distressed pax an RTFC, $350 voucher, or the like. It seems they don't have too much to lose at this point and this kind of thing could at least generate some goodwill. Wasn't there a case in the .com boomb when some major toy store could not ship gifts quickly enough, and they gave away millions of dollars in toy store vouchers to appease the parents, etc?

If you have a 1-2 time a year flyer or a once evrey 3 years flyer and they encounter the sort of difficulties that have been documented here, they might vow never to fly US again. Ironically the seasoned jaded traveler is probably more used to this, and perhaps even more forgiving, and they wouldn't say for example take the last flight of the night that might get them home to gramma's for Xmas, and they would realize that with the weather and other factors something like this might happen and leave earlier, etc.

If they did some outrageous or flamboyant thing maybe they could recover and get some good spin, but I don't think posting a little note on the web is enough. Maybe they should hire Richard Bransen as a consultant to think of some publicity stunt to try to appease the distressed pax and to put a good spin on the company.

Maybe Bruce could auction off some grand prizes of a Disney trip at PHL.

I don't doubt either that other carriers had disruptions, look at Com Air.

I'll be flying around the system through the end of the year (20K bonus) so we'll see how it goes, and I won't check any bags , and I'll hope for bumps.

Also I have family who lives in other parts of the world and as the years go by we don't all get together for Xmas (as much as before), so it happens, and people largely sshould be able to get over it, and thereby they have a Xmas 2004 adventure they can tell their kids stories about or whatever. Hopefully they kept the bars open on the concourses .
Old Dec 25, 2004, 8:10 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by jetsetter
Why not dress Bruce Lakefield like Santa, and have him report from PHL, and give all the distressed pax an RTFC, $350 voucher, or the like.
A sure recipe for chaos (e.g., riot) would be to have someone show up in PHL and claim to be "in charge."
Old Dec 25, 2004, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by sassamanlaw
It is the people not the facility. This could have happened in PIT, and may have for all we know, except that so few people O&D from it that it doesn't really matter.
The people are the facility. They go hand and hand.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 8:41 pm
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
I flew STT-PHL today and my 767 flight was cancelled - fortunately they run two flights on Saturdays so I was rebooked on the earlier 757 delayed flight (which went out really empty, despite two flights being consolidated, likely a northbound issue) - baggage came out within 30 minutes - which was surprisingly quick. Looks like I dodged a bullet, because the delayed 757 flight was basically at the same time as my cancelled flight.

The F/A announced that the staff shortages were due to diversions and weather earlier in the week - basically implying this was not a sick out.

I dunno. I'm flying back to SEA on AA tomorrow so no more US in PHL adventures for me.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by das
I flew STT-PHL today and my 767 flight was cancelled - fortunately they run two flights on Saturdays so I was rebooked on the earlier 757 delayed flight (which went out really empty, despite two flights being consolidated, likely a northbound issue)

The F/A announced that the staff shortages were due to diversions and weather earlier in the week - basically implying this was not a sick out.
Maybe you were on one of those "baggage only" transports they are running to get caught up and they managed to scrounge up a couple of f/a's so that a few pax could go along for the ride....

Old Dec 25, 2004, 9:10 pm

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Originally Posted by BillMorrow
According to an employee over on US Aviation, US had ~11,000 misdirected/missing bags as of 10pm on 12/24. Makes for a great Christmas for passengers
I just saw a story on our local 11PM news on the PHL situation...

There were bags all the way out to the checkin area (looked like the one in B/C). I don't think anyone could walk in to checkin if they wanted.

There is no excuse for this. I'm going to be very interested to see what spin management puts on this in the coming days. As others have noted, those who did not show up should be fired and replaced with people who want to work. There's too much at stake for these jerks to take it upon themselves and screw it up.

It is looking that weather is the main reason for crews not showing up the last couple of days... nothing US can do about the weather. The baggage issue is another however.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 9:13 pm

Programs: Skyteam Elite, Starwood Gold, Kmart ShopYourWay Rewards
US Air= a mess, unfortunately!
Old Dec 25, 2004, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
In RDU at 6 pm on Christmas Eve, there was one person working in the US baggage claim office. The door was kept closed with a note "one person at a time". The queue was about 20 people deep and appeared to be moving at the rate of one person every 10 minutes. You do the math.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 10:40 pm

Programs: US Gold, CO Silver,HH Gold,*wood Gold
Originally Posted by woody1173
PIT did not seem to be a problem - I was actually surprised how calm everything seemed - I expected crowds/chaos, etc.

More stunning irony. This would not (and did not) happen to this extent at PIT and CLT.

PHL: even when its good...ITS BAD. I avoid PHL like the plague on normal days. I can only imagine what it was like yesterday.

Last edited by Wave1; Dec 25, 2004 at 10:44 pm
Old Dec 25, 2004, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Well I guess the only silver lining in the PR department for US in all this is that Comair, the Delta Express unit (I believe a wholly-owned subsidiary of Delta now) managed to lose its whole computer system and cancel at least ten times as many flights as US did Friday, stranding at least 30,000 and no doubt nuking tons of mainline connections as well. Apparently Comair's not flying again until Monday. This is pushing some of the media coverage of the US baggage issues down lower in the "travel woes" articles.

Now, with lots of travel for myself coming up, and probably some snow to throw in the mix in the next 6-8 weeks, I wonder how US's PHL ops will top the Comair incident?

Seriously though, I really feel for those people affected by this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.