Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CHAOS on Christmas Eve

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2004, 9:59 pm

Programs: OW, *A, Bonvoy, WOH
So sorry to hear about all this. I thought my day was bad when my flight was cancelled this a.m. from DCA to MCI and there were no flights left on ANY airline for the rest of the day from any of the three DC-area airports but I took solace in the fact that I was close to home. I took the refund but the disappointment to myself, my partner, and his folks in KC were palpable. Hearing your stories of being stranded in airports on Christmas Eve doesn't make me feel any better. All this is just awful. When I was signing the ticket refund stub which meant that there was no hope of getting to my destination before Christmas, I almost cried.

I wish you all the best of luck and lots of patience to get through this. And Happy Holidays to all. Things can only get better
Old Dec 24, 2004, 10:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
To all of those who are severly late in getting to their families or have settled for refunds and no trip at all - I can't imagine the frustration and offer my sympathies and holiday wishes.

It is important to remember however that labor problems have plagued other airlines too. Noteably the summer of 2000 sick-out which wrecked havoc throughout UA's system for months and the Thanksgiving strike of AA in the mid-late 90's which stranded both my parents in the Carribean and family friends in Chile while adopting a kid. Airline emploer yees had far less to strike/sick-out about back then. While I don't support it - especially since it just allienates more customers - just remember this isn't just a US problem. And go to Europe - then you are talking major labor issues almost every month or one airline or one airport or another.

Happy Holidays!
Old Dec 24, 2004, 10:25 pm

Programs: CO Plat - AW Plat - AA Gold - SPG Plat - HH Gold - HY Gold - WBR - Alpha Phi Omega - GO CANES!
I have a Northwest flight in the morning. I feel for all you guys - my brother told me to look at the news and I immediately freaked.

I don't really want to have to go tomorrow - it was the cheapest flight I could get and now it's probably the most valuable to someone that needs to get somewhere.

In any case, I have a First ticket all the way out west. I'd love to sell it and hang a couple more days in Philly - but there is no way NW will let me do this. And I'd come and hang with you guys but the NWA gate with the World Perks lounge is in another secure area so you'd have to deal with the efficient and professional security people several times.
Old Dec 24, 2004, 10:38 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sts603
To all of those who are severly late in getting to their families or have settled for refunds and no trip at all - I can't imagine the frustration and offer my sympathies and holiday wishes.

It is important to remember however that labor problems have plagued other airlines too. Noteably the summer of 2000 sick-out which wrecked havoc throughout UA's system for months and the Thanksgiving strike of AA in the mid-late 90's which stranded both my parents in the Carribean and family friends in Chile while adopting a kid. Airline emploer yees had far less to strike/sick-out about back then. While I don't support it - especially since it just allienates more customers - just remember this isn't just a US problem. And go to Europe - then you are talking major labor issues almost every month or one airline or one airport or another.

Happy Holidays!
Sorry... I don't buy that for a minute. Can anyone remember the last time this kind of crap ruined a major holiday for any other major? I sure can't. How many families have had their Christmases ruined thanks to the actions of the FAs?
Old Dec 24, 2004, 10:53 pm

Programs: CO Plat - AW Plat - AA Gold - SPG Plat - HH Gold - HY Gold - WBR - Alpha Phi Omega - GO CANES!
They should strand the FA's and the families of the FA's for this behavior. Let THEM pay for their OWN hotel rooms at retail prices. This would show them how important their job is.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 12:00 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Two items:

They are running out of crews for a few reasons: one of them is time. Pilots can only fly so much in a given month or year, and US has been running "out of time" at the end of the month for a few months--why would the end of the year be any different? Further, while I cannot say one way or the other whether the FA sick calls were legit or not, do bear in mind that a rash of extremely cold weather did blow thru PIT and PHL a few days ago--added to the BS foisted by management and the court, what exactly did the whiz kids at CCY think was going to happen?

The second item: Crown Jewel. Enough said.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to give a bit of perspective from a US dominated airport, my mother flew from PIT to ATL during this time frame--although it was on DL, not US(the non-stop thing).

She told me that PIT wasn't too crowded, but ATL was a zoo. Cancelled and delayed flights. In fact, her DL flight was 90 minutes late departing PIT for the crew reason also--the f/a's were on another flight that got delayed with the weather.

Not saying US doesn't have labor issues, but some of those same issues of crews, cancellations are hitting other airlines, and I can attest to the "floor dwellers" encamped at ATL due to this whole lousy weather holiday.

Bah humbug.....!!~........

Old Dec 25, 2004, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
God, this is so sad and frustrating to watch. My thoughts are with the poor US Airways pax whose holiday plans have been wrecked. Having once spent Christmas morning on the floor of EWR's North Terminal because People Express ran out of pilots, I totally sympathize.

It is so tragic to watch this airline commit suicide like this....
Old Dec 25, 2004, 1:01 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by suitcasejockey
They should strand the FA's and the families of the FA's for this behavior. Let THEM pay for their OWN hotel rooms at retail prices. This would show them how important their job is.
There were definitely some USAirways crew stuck in CLT tonight because they showed up for work and then missed their rides home...
Old Dec 25, 2004, 1:19 am

Programs: Priceline Blood Diamond Elite. Peon on DL, AA, UA, US, and WN.
I just saw the re-broadcast of the local PHL ABC broadcast. They stated it's a problem with labor. They showed a HUGE pile of suitcases in the ticketing area waiting for their owners. They also had video from the ABC station in BOS showing all those baggage carts out on the runway - idle. If you don't like your contract, negotiate one through the proper channels. Not like this. This was a perfect chance to make and keep new customers, along with keep current customers happy. From the OP on this thread, we see that won't happen. This could be the beginning of the end for this airline. Thanks to those wonderful employees who ruined a lot of Christmas gatherings. To those of you sleeping on the floor or seats at PHL. My sympathies. At least you are in some place relatively warm, as the temperature outside is currently, about 23F.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 5:10 am

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
Two items:

They are running out of crews for a few reasons: one of them is time. Pilots can only fly so much in a given month or year, and US has been running "out of time" at the end of the month for a few months--why would the end of the year be any different? Further, while I cannot say one way or the other whether the FA sick calls were legit or not, do bear in mind that a rash of extremely cold weather did blow thru PIT and PHL a few days ago--added to the BS foisted by management and the court, what exactly did the whiz kids at CCY think was going to happen?

The second item: Crown Jewel. Enough said.
The "out of time" issue is especially relevant at this time of year as the year-long cap of 1000 hours comes into play. (FAA cap, not union work rules).
Old Dec 25, 2004, 5:51 am

Pit

Originally Posted by JAXPax
The "out of time" issue is especially relevant at this time of year as the year-long cap of 1000 hours comes into play. (FAA cap, not union work rules).
Spent 10 hours in the A concourse of PIT yesterday trying to get home for Christmas - finally made it into HPN about 5:35 PM after leaving out of HNL at 2:30PM the day before.

First PIT-HPN flight delayed due to lack of aircraft inbound from Toronto (delayed in Toronto due to lack of flight crew) then ultimately cancelled.

Rebooked onto next PIT-HPN flight which kept getting delayed first on a mechanical on the plane in Louisville then delayed numerous times due to lack of flight crew - finally took off at 4:30 PM (original flight time was 8:00AM). 4:10PM PIT-HPN flight also cancelled due to lack of crew. Of course to complicate matters, the tow-bar breaks down as we're getting pushed back from the gate, so we end up waiting another 10 minutes on the tarmac for the mechanics for that.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 5:52 am

Programs: US1
Originally Posted by sassamanlaw
It seems like alot of baggage handlers got sick today according to the PHL Fox station. Don't these morons realize what kind of job market there is out there for someone whose resume reads: "Lift objects, move them 10 feet and then drop. Go back and repeat cycle". Boy, I'm sure there are tons of Wall Street recuiters just itching to hire these guys. These guys are the most expendable and easiest to replace of all the unionized US employees. They are just falling all over themselves to give the BK judge a reason to void the contract.

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who is an FA who worked yesterday and is working today for Christmas. She said that over 60 Baggage handlers at PHL airport called in sick. She also said that many of the FA crews could not fly because the had not had the manditory rest time that is required per day therefore there were cancleed flights.

I guess I was pretty lucky doing my two R/T's yesterday from DCA PHL. They were both on time and the flights (all 4 segments) were packed 100% F/C and coach.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think we are getting a glimpse of the future of air travel in the US (meaning the USA in general, not just USAirways). I am certainly not condoning what is going on here-- and I think it bears noting that at this point we are not esactly sure what is going on-- but what can the travelling public expect from a work force that will be making next to nothing once all the wage cuts take effect? How many people are willing to work the holidays, or work outside in the cold, for a job that pays $20k/year? The caliber of employee that will be attracted to such jobs in the future-- are they going to lose sleep over the fact that passengers can't get home for Christmas if they don't show up for work. They just don't care anymore.

It is sad but really I think this is an example of you get what you pay for, and a hint of things to come.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 6:21 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
For years I have beaten the drum about the need to fix Philly as a precursor to repairng the company. It is obvious that they either refuse to recognize the problem, or are just incapable of fixing it. Given the continuing expansion of the operation there, I would go with the former. It also appears that the CSA group, and to a lesser extent, the F/A's, have been less accepting of the most recent "cramdown" in wage reductions. I suppose, if you are them, you reach a point where you don't draw the distinction between airing your personal frustration and damaging the workplace. As we apparently steam closer to the point where the cash runs out, we will probably see more of this. In some defense, the last couple of days couldn't have been worse. Heavy holiday traffic, a spate of unexpected severe weather, and a reduced work force (especially flight crew) which runs out of legally permissable hours by month end. I have recently noted in these threads, some improvement in strategic thinking, and observed that even ATA had people who wanted it, post bankruptcy, but I fear the end is near. In the animal kingdom, they say that even the elephant knows when it's time to go to the graveyard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.