Wiki Posts
Search

To use or to save miles?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2004, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Absolutely correct. Even on a transcon business class (and first is nicer) on UA you will get a decent meal on a china. Hot towels, probably at take of and landing, etc. Far above US service. And this is in business on UA, again, first will be nicer. I think (someone correct me if Im wrong here) that on transcons you also get access to the first class lounges if you are in first. At least at JFK. Not sure how that works though.
But bottom line, I would recommend UA business over US first for a transcon. It wouldnt even be close, service, seats, leg room, everything.
Old Dec 12, 2004, 2:42 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Burn 'em. I've just torched my account down to 7k in order to get across the pond for the holidays and take one trip intra-USA in the interim. What's really lousy about the latter is that it's a premium award (no saturday stay) and all on RJs .

If you don't do it now, you may be in for an upleasent shock come the middle of January.
Old Dec 12, 2004, 2:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat., DL/AA/BA
I'm spending as fast as I can, however can't use them in any class of service for some holiday travel. Has anyome figured out other ways to burn them?
Old Dec 12, 2004, 3:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by shuttle_boy
I'm spending as fast as I can, however can't use them in any class of service for some holiday travel. Has anyome figured out other ways to burn them?
At one point I considered using them for a Wall Street Journal subscription. However, with the number of miles I had it was about an 87 year subscription. The thought of that was depressing beyond comprehension to me. I managed to spend them down but I just noticed on my last statement that I had creeped above 40K miles again. Got to figure out what to do to take it back down.
Old Dec 12, 2004, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
re: gadgetfreak comments

That's right. When flying UnitedFirst on United's new premium service JFK - LAX - JFK, and soon JFK - SFO - JFK markets, UnitedFirst passengers have access to the UnitedFirst international lounge, and of course, the Red Carpet Club if they wish to visit any on their day of departure.

The new product features personal DVD players with 10 or more movies to choose from in both UnitedFirst and UnitedBusiness. UnitedFirst seats on premium service routes are lie-flat beds with 68'' seat pitch, the same seats Singapore Airlines uses in its Raffles/Business Class on long-haul flights. Premium service UnitedBusiness seats are nice leather seats with 54'' seat pitch and leg rests. Passengers in both classes will be offered an enhanced menu only available on premium service flights.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold
Burn

It's really rolling the dice not to burn them. I agree with the earlier poster that noted that redemption rates are going up and its best to use miles when you can. (The $ you save will earn interest; miles won't.) The one exception is that if I can get a really cheap flight, I don't use miles (but for US, I'd make an exception, 'cause the chance of liquidation is too high).
Old Dec 14, 2004, 4:46 pm

Programs: CO Plat, US Gold,
Burn Those miles!!

undefined
Originally Posted by thelostshark
It's really rolling the dice not to burn them. I agree with the earlier poster that noted that redemption rates are going up and its best to use miles when you can. (The $ you save will earn interest; miles won't.) The one exception is that if I can get a really cheap flight, I don't use miles (but for US, I'd make an exception, 'cause the chance of liquidation is too high).
I have 500,000 on US. I read an article in the WSJ that outlined a strategy to protect miles. The author recommended that you redeem miles for a ticket on a partner airline for travel 10-11 months out. The ticked is good for travel for one year after the initial departure date. Then you can either reissue the ticked or redeposit the miles if the prospects look good. Of course you pay fees but this is better than having the miles vanish in the case of liquidation. Any thoughts?
Old Dec 15, 2004, 12:20 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Carry On -- Yes, that is one strategy, but it is far from foolproof.

To begin with, there is no guarantee that your ticket, issued by USAirways, on USAirways ticket stock, will be honoured by any other airline in the event of a shutdown/liquididation. While there is a general consensus that the other airlines will show some pitty (and not want to loose customers), there is no certainty.

Next, if you purely book tickets for the sake of booking tickets without the intention of actually going somewhere, and US folds, you'll probably be stuck with those tickets -- no changes, no redeposit, no nothing -- so unless you really did want two first class tickets to Sri Lanka on the specific dates where you find availability, you could still be out the miles (and the $$ in taxes, PFCs, etc).

That said, it is one of the better suggestions I've heard in these dire times. I'm just hoping they make it long enough for me to book tickets for Christmas of next year (we'll see...)
Old Dec 15, 2004, 7:42 am

Programs: CO Plat, US Gold,
No strategy is fool proof. There is not a perfect strategy. The article, and several of the airlines have stated that as long as the flight is ticketed before USAir is no longer a star member, i.e. in liquidation, the ticked would be honored. I am holding two bus class tickets on SQ to Bangkok. I called SQ and directly asked them what the policy would be in case of a US shutdown and they said the ticket would be honored. The ticket is issued at a time when US is making its inventory available to SQ's Raffles members so the reciprocation will be honored. I have tried to dump the miles in a less conventional way but these miles have very little value.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Carry On
I called SQ and directly asked them what the policy would be in case of a US shutdown and they said the ticket would be honored.
This is new information -- if it is the official SQ policy, then it would be great news. Although we have speculated that the Star Alliance carriers WILL honour US award tickets, we have not seen anything "official" to that extent.

Thanks, and welcome to FT!
Old Dec 16, 2004, 3:14 pm

That reminds me, I should give ANA a call. I have a First Class reward ticket booked with US miles for September 2005, IAD-NRT (couldn't get JFK for the weeks in question ) with US miles. (For the American Coaster Enthusiasts/European Coaster Club joint Japanese park tour, in case anyone's curious... )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.