Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Staged(?) Slow Down in PHL

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2004, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Staged(?) Slow Down in PHL

WPVI, Channel 6 ABC in Philadelphia reported this eve that there is a curious slow down in operations at PHL this evening, mostly concentrated in B & C terminals.

They interviewed a gentlemen connecting through to LAX from Canada who has been waiting to board for hours.

I just returned from PHL (BNA-PHL) and witnessed my gate check in bag thrown on the concrete and not delivered to the gate. When I inquired, the agent said it was a checked bag, despite it's yellow tag flapping in the breeze.

The security line at Terminal C is just about to the stairway to Baggage Claim. The carousels are full of people without bags.
Old Nov 7, 2004, 5:25 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, Intercontinental Platinum
Sounds like typical service at PHL. Wait until they receive their first 23% lower paycheck.........then the service will REALLY deteriorate!
Old Nov 7, 2004, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This happened to me in PHL two weeks ago to the day and prompted me to write this letter and post to US.

Although I didn't mention it in that letter, the pilot on that flight explained that a number of the ground crew appeared to call in sick and stay home and watch football and as such they were extremely short handed. That flight was overbooked and I believe there were a number of US pilots/copilots jumpseating as well. Every seat in the plane ended up going out filled.

Sitting in 2D I thought I heard one of the flight attendants say something to the affect that one of the capts. that was on the flight was helping load bags in an effort to get the flight off as quickly as possible.

As a side note when I flew back from ORD on Wed, my bags arrived in baggage claim maybe 30 seconds after I walked into the baggage claim area. That was a pleasant surprise since I was expecting at least a half hour wait.
Old Nov 7, 2004, 7:37 pm

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
It could have been a (over)reaction to the Eagles getting blown out by the wonderful Steelers! Those Philly fans always overreact when they lose.
Old Nov 7, 2004, 9:52 pm

Programs: USAirways Gold, Marriott Platnium, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by jimcfsus
It could have been a (over)reaction to the Eagles getting blown out by the wonderful Steelers! Those Philly fans always overreact when they lose.

Seriously, I've talked to a couple of FAs over the past few weeks and they all said the "slowdowns" by maint, ground crews are without a question intentional...
Old Nov 8, 2004, 6:29 am

My flight from PHL was late getting in yesterday and the FAs were saying it was a slow down by the baggage handlers. They turned the plane around very fast in MHT and we got into PHL nearly on time with an on time departure to RDU. In MHT, the gate agent was announcing all the delays out of PHL and telling people they would make their connections.

The crew on the planes were very professional and friendly in typical US fashion but talking with some Club agents demonstrated how hard they have been cut back. They are all looking for jobs and have voted to strike.
Old Nov 8, 2004, 6:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Unhappy

The local news story on it is here:

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/news/110...rtbaggage.html

The employment dropoff levels cited by the article are rather disturbing.
Old Nov 8, 2004, 9:59 am

If these slowdowns continue and US continues to bleed, these US employees may become permanently unemployed.
Old Nov 8, 2004, 10:01 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by phlwookie

'The sources say two years ago, on average, 46 baggage handlers worked those seven gates.'
It's been said for many years that the union work rules are very limiting to allow the airline to compete on cost. Having 46 handlers for 7 narrowbody gates is overkiil. If the unions would have adapted to more productive work rules, those still working may have enjoyed reasonable wages. Now it's biting them in the arse, along with the rest of the customers.
Old Nov 8, 2004, 11:38 am

Programs: US-Chairman, Hyatt_Diamond
Originally Posted by HPTunco
Sounds like typical service at PHL. Wait until they receive their first 23% lower paycheck.........then the service will REALLY deteriorate!
I am not sure the lower wages will greatly reduce the speed. I think it has more to do with whether the person wants to work. Many McDonalds have rather fast service.
Old Nov 8, 2004, 2:32 pm

There are a number of post on this subject over at usavation.
AFAIK, yesterday PHL started with (yet another) bag system failure and some sort of problem with teh work roster/duty assignments for the ramp.

Things get rather murky after that. But PHL ramp have lways had problems if the Eagles are playing! But, given how bad things were yesterday, something was probaly going on.
Old Nov 8, 2004, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by phlwookie

The employment dropoff levels cited by the article are rather disturbing.
"Multiple sources in baggage claim tell Action News that baggage handlers are not showing up for work, or just quitting. It's apparently fallout from three wage and benefit cuts in the last two years for the struggling airline. The sources say only five baggage handlers worked seven gates in Concourse C."

While not showing up obviously creates problems on a daily basis, quitting shouldn't be. Unless there is a hiring freeze, HR just has to start going thru the list of baggage handlers let go over the last few years and see if anyone is interested in coming back. Would be tough to think they couldn't find 20 or 30 (even at new wage scales). Or, offer positions to b/h'ers at PIT, some of which I sure soon will be (if not already) out of works due to the cutbacks there.

The whole reason wages are going down is because of oversupply of workers (as well as not enough demand by passengers). Having not enough now a days is just poor management.

Jeff
Old Nov 8, 2004, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
It's been said for many years that the union work rules are very limiting to allow the airline to compete on cost. Having 46 handlers for 7 narrowbody gates is overkiil. If the unions would have adapted to more productive work rules, those still working may have enjoyed reasonable wages. Now it's biting them in the arse, along with the rest of the customers.
46 handlers for 7 gates has not been the case for some time. the baggage guys are spread so thin in philly. if a delay occurrs on one gate it's difficult for the same 2 loaders to be at their next gate on time. it ends up in a domino reaction. also, maybe the company should have thought twice about announcing that they were looking to take away all holiday pay, just in time for the holidays. look out! who will come to work on a holiday after 3 paycuts and now no holiday pay?! there is dignity to be held. many employees have already exercised other employment options so they really don't care if the company makes it or not. it is sad to say, but it is the truth. after being beaten when you are already down, why should you care. there are other jobs out there. it's not the end of anyones world.
Old Nov 9, 2004, 9:51 am

Programs: 1K (I know, my screen name is outdated), Marriott Plat, *Wood Plat, Five Star, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by planefun
46 handlers for 7 gates has not been the case for some time. the baggage guys are spread so thin in philly. if a delay occurrs on one gate it's difficult for the same 2 loaders to be at their next gate on time. it ends up in a domino reaction. also, maybe the company should have thought twice about announcing that they were looking to take away all holiday pay, just in time for the holidays. look out! who will come to work on a holiday after 3 paycuts and now no holiday pay?! there is dignity to be held. many employees have already exercised other employment options so they really don't care if the company makes it or not. it is sad to say, but it is the truth. after being beaten when you are already down, why should you care. there are other jobs out there. it's not the end of anyones world.

The first part of your email seems to conflict with the bitter second part of your email. I'll take 20 UPS employees and they could handle 7 gates or even more (a UPS loader has to load 700+ boxes an hour and an unloader has to unload 1,200 boxes an hour for 3 - 4 hours straight). You're right, there are other jobs out there so go find one. If anyone didn't think US was toast before have you changed your mind now?
Old Nov 9, 2004, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
WPVI, Channel 6 ABC in Philadelphia reported this eve that there is a curious slow down in operations at PHL this evening, mostly concentrated in B & C terminals.

I flew into PHL from BOS that day. First of all we waited on the plane for almost 40 minutes while they tried to get someone to bring the Jetway. People whose final destination was Philly waited almost an hour for their bags.

I was flyng into AVP and, while the plane was ready and waiting, there was no staff to fly the plane. So, another delay.

Then I arrived sans luggage even though I had (what ended up to be) a 3 1/2 layover in Philly.

It took me from 10:30AM until 4:30 to get from PHL to AVP. I cwished I had driven.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.