Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using miles to upgrade online

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2004, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Using miles to upgrade online

I booked on usairways.com last week and upgraded my seat using accrued miles while I was in the online booking process. This must be a new function as I book online frequently and don't recall the upgrade icon in the booking flow prior.

Anyway, I have tickets for the holidays which I booked over the summer and would also like to upgrade these tickets using mileage but am not sure how to get back into the booking process to upgrade online. Anybody tried this?

I assume that US Airways is charging a fee for performing the mileage upgrade over the phone (like Northwest).
Old Nov 7, 2004, 3:35 pm

Programs: USAirways Dividend Miles
Originally Posted by cargo13
I assume that US Airways is charging a fee for performing the mileage upgrade over the phone (like Northwest).
as of when i resigned last tuesday, there was not charge to use miles to upgrade a previously booked reservation.
Old Nov 7, 2004, 4:17 pm

I was able to upgrade an upcoming domestic trip on the phone for free using miles. I've seen (but never used) the upgrade icon in the online booking engine for a few months now (at least).

Hopefully they won't follow NW's lead - but I have a feeling we'll soon be paying every time we decide to use the phone instead of the website.

-Chris
Old Nov 8, 2004, 3:18 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by cargo13
Anyway, I have tickets for the holidays which I booked over the summer and would also like to upgrade these tickets using mileage but am not sure how to get back into the booking process to upgrade online. Anybody tried this?
I just upgraded a ticket I bought a couple weeks ago and it's really easy. I went to usairways.com and clicked 'existing reservations', logged in to my account and picked the ticket I wanted to upgrade. When that ticket pulls up, there's a button to 'apply upgrades'. You click that and go to a page where you can pick the flights you want upgrade, and then pick what seat you'd like. I'll be flying first-class to Miami later this week!

You could probably also click on the 'apply upgrades' button from the Dividend Miles account menu, but i haven't tried that. So, good luck.
Old Nov 8, 2004, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA EP
I thought this process was only for complimentary e-upgrades available when respective windows open, not mileage based upgrades that can be used at time of booking. I didn't think you could use miles to upgrade online.

edited to add: I do see the button now on the "upgrade existing reservations" screen to use dividend miles to upgrade. It even tells you how many miles are needed based on fare class. I wonder why this hasn't been published on the site as a new capability....

Last edited by la2clt; Nov 8, 2004 at 3:36 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.