award travel bos - nrt

Old Nov 4, 2004, 12:29 pm
bws

award travel bos - nrt

searched on this topic but couldn't find anything helpfull.

i am trying to use 180k award miles to take my wife to tokyo. we are shooting for june 2005. a few questions that maybe you can help me with:

1. i have ~ 170k my wife has ~10k. can she combine her miles with mine?

2. the usair website only allows searches a far in advance as april 2005. not june.

3. any other advice on how to maximize my trip? (i.e. mileage-beneficial stopovers, promotions, etc.)

thanks in advance.

Last edited by bws; Nov 4, 2004 at 12:32 pm

Old Nov 4, 2004, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by bws
1. i have ~ 170k my wife has ~10k. can she combine her miles with mine?

2. the usair website only allows searches a far in advance as april 2005. not june.

3. any other advice on how to maximize my trip? (i.e. mileage-beneficial stopovers, promotions, etc.)
1. No, you can not combine. In order to get a business class award, you'll need to get another 10K in your account which may, for you, be worth two cross-country trips (approx $400 total) or you might want to suck it up and do it in Y instead.

2. You will need to call USAirways International Reservations to book this trip. US does not fly to Asia, so you'll be traveling on one of their Star Alliance partners for at least the trans-pacific portion

3. Singapore Airlines has a new service from Newark nonstop to Singpore and if you are traveling in Economy this would be a great way to travel even though it would be the long way around the earth. Getting from BOS to Newark might be a challenge since neither US or UA fly this route.. probably easiest to drive or take Amtrak. But I would still recommend this option if you can find availability on those flights. Alternatively, you could fly US BOS-LGA and then transit to EWR or BOS-PHL-EWR but that isn't the easiest thing in the world to do.

The easiest routing is probably to take United through Chicago, if you can find availability.

Good luck and welcome to the US Forum!

Last edited by noah; Nov 4, 2004 at 1:45 pm
Old Nov 4, 2004, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
One thing I forgot to add... availability changes regularly so you will want to call and keep checking regularly to find what you are looking for.
Old Nov 7, 2004, 2:43 pm
bws

thanks for your help.

Old Nov 8, 2004, 3:58 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by noah
...3. Singapore Airlines has a new service from Newark nonstop to Singpore and if you are traveling in Economy this would be a great way to travel even though it would be the long way around the earth. ...
The easiest routing is probably to take United through Chicago, if you can find availability.
I've gone to/from SIN numerous times.

I've gone to/from NRT numerous times.

I've gone to/from SIN via NRT numerous times.

But, I would never go to NRT via SIN. NRT-SIN is about 5.5 hours in the air. So this routing would LOTS of pain to a trip to NRT that is really not that bad if a direct route is flown.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.