Wiki Posts
Search

What's a vacationing Roach to do?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2004, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold
What's a vacationing Roach to do?

O.K. my fellow Roaches here is my dilemma: Me and Mrs. Sassamanlaw are going to St. Kitts next May. In true Roach fashion I booked the hotel with points and got two FC tickets on US. I’m just as loyal as the next guy to US and maybe even more so. However, I’m starting to get worried. I was thinking about canceling the US tickets but UAL has a miserable Caribbean route system – they mostly depend on US code shares. O.K., I can go anywhere there is a Marriott in the Caribbean, I’ll try Grand Caymen. But alas, UAL only flies there once a week. The only regular flights they have are to Aruba and St. Martins. I’m going to Aruba next fall – Hey US, stay in business until December so I can use my miles on UAL! I also have been to St. Martins.

I guess this is my question for the Board: Do I scrap the trip and pick somewhere UAL flies? This would allow me to use my US miles on UAL and it would allow me time to find a hotel with an opening for rewards redemption. Or, cross my fingers and hope for the best? I could <gulp> buy tickets for about $500 in <gasp> coach on AA if worse came to worse.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 10:42 am

AC has an extensive Caribbean route network if you don't mind hopping up to YYZ first.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Hmmm - US FC to SKB on DM miles and a free week at the Marriott. I returned from this same itinerary a few weeks ago, only for 4 of us.

Looking at Cayman Damage Report, I wouldn't count on the Marriott there any time soon. Too bad, I stayed there last year (via DM/MR) and, while not the best property, the island was awesome.

If you have Aruba and St. Maarten/Martin covered, I would put St. Kitts at the top of my list - take a chance on US with AA as a standby - the Marriott there is the best around, sharing top ranking with Aruba. I don't think using US miles for an award on UA will be any safer than US miles for an award on US (topic beaten to death elsewhere).

As a dark horse, because I haven't been there yet, what about Costa Rica/Dominican Republic?
Old Sep 21, 2004, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Hmmmm

Originally Posted by cedric
AC has an extensive Caribbean route network if you don't mind hopping up to YYZ first.

They don't do St. Kitts but they CAN do Grand Caymen. Gonna have to think about it.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich
Hmmm - US FC to SKB on DM miles and a free week at the Marriott. I returned from this same itinerary a few weeks ago, only for 4 of us.

Looking at Cayman Damage Report, I wouldn't count on the Marriott there any time soon. Too bad, I stayed there last year (via DM/MR) and, while not the best property, the island was awesome.

If you have Aruba and St. Maarten/Martin covered, I would put St. Kitts at the top of my list - take a chance on US with AA as a standby - the Marriott there is the best around, sharing top ranking with Aruba. I don't think using US miles for an award on UA will be any safer than US miles for an award on US (topic beaten to death elsewhere).

As a dark horse, because I haven't been there yet, what about Costa Rica/Dominican Republic?

EEEEK! According to Marriott's website the damage was not THAT bad. I suppose the Courtyard may be back up and running next May but the island still may be a wreck. <Sigh>, looks like I'll stay with the Titanic, errr US, and keep the reservations. Who knows, maybe AA will buy Dividend Miles.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sassamanlaw
EEEEK! According to Marriott's website the damage was not THAT bad. \
Yes, interesting. They say they hope to open by mid-October. Quite a different story.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As suspected, Marriott's "open in October" was quite optimistic. Latest estimate is April 2005. Too bad - it is (was?) a great island. Looks like the new Courtyard is open though.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Ever the optimist

Originally Posted by CPRich
As suspected, Marriott's "open in October" was quite optimistic. Latest estimate is April 2005. Too bad - it is (was?) a great island. Looks like the new Courtyard is open though.

I still have my fingers crossed for St. Kitts in May. I really want to experience row 1 on the A330 on the way to SJU.

But just to show what kind of optimist/dreamer I am, I'm waiting for next Saturday to roll around so I can book me and the wife and the two junior Roaches on a trip to Aruba for Thanksgiving '05. Heck, why should I let economic reality enter into my vacation plans.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 5:06 am

Programs: AA Platinum
How about Costa Rica? I know it is latin america, but a great travel destination.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by catwood
How about Costa Rica? I know it is latin america, but a great travel destination.

I already have the timeshare booked so its going to be Aruba. I'd like to do it on US (hopefully) but if not, I suppose it will be AA. <sigh>.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.