Wiki Posts
Search

Improving a UA Dividend Miles reservation

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2004, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Improving a UA Dividend Miles reservation

I'm holding an award reservation on UA to Hawaii involving two flight segments. I took whatever the USAirways rep said was available, and presumed I could try to get better flights later. I was told I could change flights (as long as they remained on UA) without a fee.

But when I called back to see if something better had opened up, I was told that the agent couldn't check individual flights -- the reward seats had to be available on the entire itinerary from point A to point B. So, for example, if you're starting at IAH and connecting in SFO for HNL, the reward seats have to be available all the way through on a "regular" connecting itinerary. You couldn't, for example, choose to book a morning flight to SFO and an evening flight that day to HNL -- hoping, of course, that a better connecting flight would open up later).

From my experience with other airlines, this makes it MUCH more difficult to "work" your reward itinerary to get close to what you want -- especially since US won't put me on any UA standby lists.

Does anyone know if this is official US policy, and if there's any way around it? Thanks.
Old Sep 20, 2004, 7:10 pm
Original Member

Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA**US Airways Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
I'm holding an award reservation on UA to Hawaii involving two flight segments. I took whatever the USAirways rep said was available, and presumed I could try to get better flights later. I was told I could change flights (as long as they remained on UA) without a fee.

But when I called back to see if something better had opened up, I was told that the agent couldn't check individual flights -- the reward seats had to be available on the entire itinerary from point A to point B. So, for example, if you're starting at IAH and connecting in SFO for HNL, the reward seats have to be available all the way through on a "regular" connecting itinerary. You couldn't, for example, choose to book a morning flight to SFO and an evening flight that day to HNL -- hoping, of course, that a better connecting flight would open up later).

From my experience with other airlines, this makes it MUCH more difficult to "work" your reward itinerary to get close to what you want -- especially since US won't put me on any UA standby lists.

Does anyone know if this is official US policy, and if there's any way around it? Thanks.
I had that issue myself in February past, and it really made things hard (to what I would imagine is one of the least demanded destinations that time of year, namely ANC).
Old Sep 21, 2004, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by iahphx

Not sure if it is official policy, but if you do the legwork and search for availability yourself, in the past I did not have a problem when I said "book flight X on Y date, flight Z on A date" etc. Availability on UA flights can be discerned by signing up for mileage plus and then using UA's MP availability website.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cedric
Not sure if it is official policy, but if you do the legwork and search for availability yourself, in the past I did not have a problem when I said "book flight X on Y date, flight Z on A date" etc. Availability on UA flights can be discerned by signing up for mileage plus and then using UA's MP availability website.
That's exactly what I did and the agent wouldn't do it for me (FWIW, I don't think UA's inventory for its own f flyers is the same, but it's a good place to start). I guess I'll call back and see if the next agent will help me. Too bad it's about 20 minutes on hold before you can talk to anyone. Does anyone know a telephone short cut to that desk?
Old Sep 21, 2004, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Also took me 20 minutes on hold yesterday, but I must admit that the phone CSR was quite pleasant and helpful under what must be very trying circumstances.

Thanks for tip about checking UA inventory. Unfortunately it confirmed the same info I received from the CSR (i.e., little availability).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.