Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New changes to the upgrade process.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2004, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA (US) gold, HH gold, Bonvoy gold
Oct 14 ALB-CLT then CLT-SFO - 3 day window and the first time for me. What luck - I hope for buisiness sake the plane is full, though.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 9:23 pm

Programs: A shadow of my former self
Oct. 21 -- SYR-PIT -- 733 -- cleared at 7-day window
Oct. 21 -- PIT-SFO -- 321 -- waitlisted at 7-day window, then cleared (mysteriously) at 6 days. Thanks US!

Oct. 25 -- SFO-PIT -- 320 -- cleared at 7-day window
Oct. 25 -- PIT-SYR -- 733 -- cleared at 7-day window

Last edited by IndyDavid; Oct 20, 2004 at 6:41 am Reason: updating status & adding return flights
Old Oct 20, 2004, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
11/3: LGW-CLT
Cleared at booking with B-fare mileage upgrade. Strange to have inventory in there at this late date. Is this the new system at work? Waitlisted on the outbound.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 5:52 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
This weekend... PHL-CLT-JAX cleared at the three-day window. However, on the way up a reroute in my itinerary somehow removed my upgrade confirmation and I ended up back in coach only to be upgraded after I was on the airplane.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
10/14 US 44 LAX-PIT - Didn't clear.
10/14 US 44 PIT-BOS - Cleared at gate, but since I was on a "through" flight, and US's computer system is not sophisticated enough to handle clearing the 2nd leg if the first one didn't clear, I had to wait until I landed (20 minutes late) in PIT to straighten it out, and almost missed this one.

10/17 US 179 BOS-PHL - Cleared at 3-day window.
10/17 US 19 PHL-LAX - Didn't clear, but was told by the GA that if somebody in F ended up as a no-show, they'd pluck me out of Y, so I must have been #1 on the waitlist. Alas, didn't happen. They were bumping people like crazy on that flight.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 7:44 am

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Avis CHM
10/15 US 386 LGA-PHL - cleared at window
10/15 US 1109 PHL-DFW - successful CP dance at the gate

10/18 US 258 DFW-CLT - cleared at window
10/18 US 40 CLT - LGA - cleared at window

Had to reschedule the return to the same flights on 10/19...rebooked in first with no problems.

Arrived in CLT as US 260 was in final boarding...wonderful gate agent got me home early AND still in F.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 8:29 am

Programs: Now a lowly US PP
10/22 US 942 PHL-CLT upgrade at booking
10/22 US 47 CLT-LAX upgrade at booking

10/24 US 138 LAX-CLT waitlisted
10/24 US 312 CLT-PHL waitlisted
Old Oct 21, 2004, 9:36 am

Reporting in for friends. Wife is Silver, Hubby is nada.
PHL-SJU 10/21 US1470 A330 - Cleared at gate, despite seatmap showing 30 open seats the day before.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by HPTunco
What is the criterion for upgrading? I thought that it was (no particular order):

1. Status
2. Fare paid
3. Time of check in

The other day, PIT-SFO, I checked in online at 23:59 prior to departure. When I got to the airport, I was told that I was first in line for UG. I checked an hour and was then told that I was #2. Of course it was a Friday, so nobody was upgraded.

How did the other CP's get ahead of me? Especially when I was told I was #1 on the UG list? Nobody could have checked in earlier than me.......what is the Secret Potion for UG?
Here's a scenario for you, which actually happened to me last week - although I was the one who bumped somebody off the UG list a few minutes prior to the originally scheduled departure time:

I was on US 44, originating in LAX, stopping in PIT, and connecting to BOS. I did not clear the LAX-PIT leg at my window, and since I was a "through" passenger to BOS, US's unsophisticated computer system was unable to clear me for the PIT-BOS leg at my window, despite the fact that F was "wide open" about 6 hours prior to the flight.

I checked in at the club at LAX, and was told I would probably not clear LAX-PIT, and consequently would need to see a gate agent in PIT to manually clear me for the PIT-BOS leg. Despite taking off from LAX 5 minutes early, the tail winds were not in our favor, and we landed in PIT 20 minutes late. By that time, only a scant 35 minutes or so were left before the originally scheduled departure time, which obviously had been pushed back due to our late arrival.

By this point, gate clearances for this oversold flight were being announced at a feverish pace. I explained my situation to the GA, and after several key entries on the computer, ended up with the 2nd to last seat in F. I felt very sorry for whomever thought they were 2nd on the waitlist, since I obviously booted them from "#2 on the waitlist with two open seats" to "close only counts in horseshoes."
Old Oct 22, 2004, 7:23 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Employee Class

Haven't heard a complaint about this in a while, but a the last first seat was given to an employee the other day CLT-DFW.

Here's the scenario: I heard from many that the CLT-DFW is a tough upgrade (especially for GP's), so I didn't expect to get a spot. When I spoke to the gate agent (40 mins before flight) he said that there were 6 Chairman's ahead of me on the list (I was the first GP) so I shouldn't expect anything since the flight was checked in full. (48 hours prior to takeoff, first only had one open seat).

In any event, I asked one more time during boarding if there were going to be any available F seats...no dice. One CP was upgraded from his seat in coach after ZONE 1 and 2 boarded, and I hoped the same might happen to me.

When the plane looked as though boarding was complete, there was still one F seat open...the GA came onto the plane, gave the thumbs up to the FA's that the gate area was empty, and in conjunction with the familiar suction sound of the closing door came a US employee bounding into the remaning F seat.

A few comments: One, I know that even if they had filled that seat with a revenue passenger, there may have been a CP on the list, so it would not have gone to me. Second, I understand that sometimes boarding can be hectic and it is just easier to fill the F seat with passengers in the gate area.

That said, it was dissapointing to see this happen.

M
Old Oct 22, 2004, 7:49 am

Programs: DL - Silver, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Glob
In response to the post above about people that shouldnt be upgraded getting the upgrade before a deserving preffered, I have also seen a disgruntled CP get a second companion seat before I was upgraded. Talking about a peeved off silver in Coach.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 7:56 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
Another reason why upgrading in the gate area is a problem. Once the decision making apparatus goes to live people, as opposed to some equitable process, anything from taking care of friends, to being too lazy to do the entries, can interfere.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 7:04 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I just did a r/t on a B (expensive) fare, am Gold Preferred, and got upgraded only on the return flight. I'm irked.

I bought the ticket 3 days in advance and called to be added to the upgrade list when I bought the ticket. I checked in online 23:58 before the flight and the upgrade hadn't cleared. I called US Airways and was told that all 12 F seats were taken.

On the return, I called US Airways the day before the flight and was told that my upgrade had cleared. I checked in online 23:45 before the flight and the boarding pass, however, was for a coach seat. At the airport I stopped by the Club and the agent said, "well, you'll just have to check at the gate." I asked at the gate and was told that no F seats were available. I figured I was just being given the run-around so I went by the Special Services desk and had my boarding pass re-printed, which was for an F seat.

This is so aggravating. It should NOT be this difficult to upgrade. The upgrade should clear automatically and I should get an F seat when I check in, given that it's a B fare and that I can request an upgrade anytime in advance. I shouldn't have to be told all sorts of garbage by various people at the airport. I am frustrated.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I just did a r/t on a B (expensive) fare, am Gold Preferred, and got upgraded only on the return flight. I'm irked.
Route?
Old Oct 25, 2004, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by DrivingRain
11/3: LGW-CLT
Cleared at booking with B-fare mileage upgrade. Strange to have inventory in there at this late date. Is this the new system at work? Waitlisted on the outbound.
PHL-LGW: Didnt clear at 3-day window so I called and got upgraded to Envoy by the res agent.

BTW...both domestic legs were booked in F at booking by the res agent despite only listing for Envoy (LGA-PHL and CLT-LGA)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.