Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A new (?) hypothesis for the dearth of green limes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2004, 12:22 pm
pgalore

Originally Posted by www.iflyswa.com
while U is not in a position to open new markets, its kind of surprising they dont offer better service to the Bay Area. For many OAK is preferred to SFO. The East Bay has a huge population, and for most of Marin, OAK is easier to access than SFO. Interesting how Jet Blue and SW have figured this out, but the network carriers dont get it.
Now that you can take BART to SFO, it isn't as difficult anymore getting there (at least from the city).

getting out may be another issue..

Old Aug 14, 2004, 12:38 pm

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
MR for limes (and sourdough rye)

Originally Posted by TomBascom
As we roaches know Trader Joe's is an excellent source of actual green limes. It therefore makes good sense to fly a widebody or two out west to keep the supply nice and fresh...
When I was out on the SF Peninsula days before RF, I almost bought a bag that I saw in a TJ's I was in. I hadn't seen a batch of greener limes than there. The ones I found at the PTI farmer's market that I brought to RF weren't bad either.

I think I might have to keep US in business just making transcon's to SF just to go to TJ's to stock up on the sourdough rye. (I got a loaf 2 trips ago and my 3 year old son ate more than half of it on me... so on the last trip I got 2 loaves and I have to fight him for it... ) It's cheaper for me to make a MR out there than to fly other places like PHL that have TJ's closer to me. I'm making a Gold run over Labor Day weekend (and taking a big enough bag for at least 3 loaves and some green limes ).

Too bad there's no TJ's closer to me in WV. Whole Foods is in Winston-Salem, about 2 hours (they have some of the best bagels I've had outside of NYC area), but no TJ's. Guess I'll have to plan some MR's. LOL!

BTW, I'll be on the peninsula all day on Sat 9/4 (going back on the PIT redeye) if anyone wants to meet up for lunch/dinner or shopping.

Last edited by jimcfsus; Aug 14, 2004 at 12:40 pm Reason: bad grammar
Old Aug 14, 2004, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by TomBascom
My stint communting to SFO was 2000 & 2001. In the interests of full disclosure I'll admit that prior to then I did have a regular connection to a flight that originated at SFO and that connection was quite reliably late every week.

As we roaches know Trader Joe's is an excellent source of actual green limes. It therefore makes good sense to fly a widebody or two out west to keep the supply nice and fresh...
Trader Joe's rocks! Now that they have more East Coast locales you don't have to go all the way out to Calif to stock up on goodies. But out there, TJ's "two buck chuck" really is only $1.98. (In VA shipping and some strange alcohol tax make the price a whopping $3.29) I've lugged a case back more than once as my carry on. (Sometime ago, in response to a posting noting a perceive decline in US F/C wine selection, I proposed lugging your own two buck chuck as asking the F/A to serve it. In your own real glass of course.)
Old Aug 14, 2004, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by jimcfsus
Too bad there's no TJ's closer to me in WV. Whole Foods is in Winston-Salem, about 2 hours (they have some of the best bagels I've had outside of NYC area), but no TJ's. Guess I'll have to plan some MR's. LOL!

BTW, I'll be on the peninsula all day on Sat 9/4 (going back on the PIT redeye) if anyone wants to meet up for lunch/dinner or shopping.
I might join you for that if I can swing an extra day off work! As for access to TJ's, if you ever have some time to killl, there is a TJ's in Alexandria about a 10 min walk one Metro stop from the Airport (Braddock Road). Very close to LAX, there is one on Sepulvdea Blvd.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
There's a Trader Joe's down the street from where I work. I bumped into a colleague last night in front of the fruit display, and she demanded an explanation as to why I was laughing. Somehow I don't think "Because the limes are so darn green!" would have been the appropriate answer, so I told her I was just thinking of a funny conversation.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 6:38 pm

Location: Greensboro, NC (US Air CP = Compassionate Proctology, Hilton Diamond)
Limes Not Lemons

I've often brought limes on board with me and given them to the FAs. Only once did I have a problem. When the FA told me she did not have limes, I offered her one. She said "That's OK. We have lemons."

The moral here, when given lemons, US Airways makes poor gin-and-tonics.
Old Aug 15, 2004, 11:19 am

No freaking Limes AGAIN

US 823 PHL - ORD, no limes. What a well focused roach to do. GGRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Old Jul 31, 2005, 7:51 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Bring back the brown limes!

Okay, I'm pretty much a transcon, transoceanic flyer. This week I had four short flights in the northeast. Each was on an A319 and each one had no limes. Are no limes common on the shorthaul flights? I'll bring my own if I have to next time. A brown lime would be better than no lime at this point.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 8:17 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Perhaps it is the outgoing management's final shot at the roaches?
Old Jul 31, 2005, 11:22 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
Okay, I'm pretty much a transcon, transoceanic flyer. This week I had four short flights in the northeast. Each was on an A319 and each one had no limes. Are no limes common on the shorthaul flights? I'll bring my own if I have to next time. A brown lime would be better than no lime at this point.
I've been on two DL transcons in the past two weeks and scheduled for the third this week. They have real green limes (and real food and real bourbon and real........you name it) Try them next time and you'll see what US has really become. Or even better, try UA and experience what service was like 10 years ago.

HP can not take over quick enough...........
Old Jul 31, 2005, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
Perhaps it is the outgoing management's final shot at the roaches?
may as well acclimatize. HP never has limes anyway.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by martin33
may as well acclimatize. HP never has limes anyway.
Well we'll just have to change the campaign from "Limes for Chiames" to "Limes for Eberwein"! It still sorta ryhmes.

Elise Eberwein holds the same position at HP as our favorite US executive does.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.