Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USAirways how I hate thee

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2004, 12:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by geo1005
iflyswa.com, I'm not sure what your motive is here? Why the passion that is somehow determined to position US vs. Southwest? Why can't several succesful airlines occupy different points of the market without this antagonism?

At some point there is a level of ammenities that people will pay for. For a lot of people that level is found exactly where Southwest has possitioned itself. And, IMO, that's just fine and dandy. Some folks just want a cheap ticket from point A to B and that's all.

But why do you seem so passionate when it comes to knocking US Airways? IMHO, they (US) will eventually figure out a balance between absurd FC fares, last minute fares and advance coach seats. They will also, IMO, figure out a way to price their domestic FC product so a certain percentage of the flying public will pay a fair premium for a more comfortable seat and a decent meal. They haven't done that yet but they are headed in the right direction.

If 2,000 passengers a day need to go from city A to city B and US and Southwest "own" those markets - what's the harm in BOTH of them flying those passengers and BOTH of them being profitable?

Geo--you are not accurately characterizing my position. I actually do think there is room for both full service network carriers and LCCs. However, the service difference between the two is not sufficient to justify the current premiums that exist. I believe full service carriers will only be able to justify a modest premium. i also believe that overall market demand for a low cost product exceeds that for a full service product. Therefore, the number of seats on LCCs will rise, and the number of seats on full service carriers will fall. This probably means that there are currently too many full service carriers, and that at least one of them will fail.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 8:53 pm
Wi-Fi

Originally Posted by geo1005
iflyswa.com, I'm not sure what your motive is here? Why the passion that is somehow determined to position US vs. Southwest? If you want a meal you can eat a can of tuna; you can go to McDonalds; you can hit the local Olive Garden or perhaps drop a $100 at that nice place down the street, or you can jet off to Paris for 3 Michelin stars and a $2,200 charge to your AMEX. Why can't several succesful airlines occupy different points of the market without this antagonism?

At some point there is a level of ammenities that people will pay for. For a lot of people that level is found exactly where Southwest has possitioned itself. And, IMO, that's just fine and dandy. Some folks just want a cheap ticket from point A to B and that's all.?
What's ironic is that I currrently prefer a higher level of service and am willing to pay for it but perceive the quality of a JetBlue (or possibly SWA) flight to be higher at the lower price point.

Old Aug 9, 2004, 10:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Wi-Fi
What's ironic is that I currrently prefer a higher level of service and am willing to pay for it but perceive the quality of a JetBlue (or possibly SWA) flight to be higher at the lower price point.
depends what you mean by service--by some definitions this is definitely true--for example leg room on SW and JB is better in coach than many full service carriers. Also, the low cost carriers have better ticket change policies--for example no change fee on SW and only $25 on JB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.