Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RoachFEST '04 - UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2004, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by lt1GM
I second that. Including employees does nothing for us.
And I third it. The frontline employees who work in the trenches meet us and work with us every day.
Old Jun 11, 2004, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
I would respectfully say this meeting is between US customers and management. By inviting employees, the forum would probably change into a discussion of differences between mgmt and employees. While this ultimately might help US, this is not the appropriate forum.

I suggest we focus our very important time with these folks to the needs of customers. The needs of employees have been clearly articulated in the press. Certainly an interested customer could ask the US executives about the issues if necessary.

I know there are a few lurker employees on this forum, and I am grateful for their support, and personally, I want their needs to be met. I just think we would lose the focus of the meeting.
I respecufully differ. This is flyertalk, not usaviation. The UAIR staff who read (and those who post to) this forum truly are interested in the customer experience. What are the customers' views of what the compnay does right and wrong. What are their thoughts on the service we provide. It is very easy for an employee to see the travel expericence from his/her own viewpoint. Reading these pages helps to walk a mile in your shoes.

I would like to think that an employee attending the roachfest is interested in talking to the people behind the posting, not in arguing with mgmt over pay and benefit cuts. There are other forums for that: though unions, writing/calling company officers, ranting on usaviation.

If it is the consensus of the true, as opposed to honorary, roaches that UAIR staff are not welcome, so be it. But I do ask that you consider welcoming them to the fest (perhaps by invitation).
Old Jun 12, 2004, 8:30 am

Programs: CoFounder and Chairman, FFOCUS (Frequent Flyers Organized and concerned about Unacceptable Service.
Employees Attending

I have to say I believe that those employees who do read these boards for the most part want to know what customers are thinking and feeling. I think that by excluding employees we are sending the wrong message to them, and might inadvertently cause other problems somewhere down the line.

One of the purposes of this get together should be to get the airline (both management AND front line employees) and its best customers closer together and united in an effort to save the company. In that light I do not think it appropriate to exclude any group per se, but I agree with what Bob said earlier that all parties would have to agree to certain ground rules, and some topics would be verboten.

Let's not make a federal case out of this folks. We are doing this for a reason-to bring people together, not push them apart.

I look forward to seeing you all there...even if I have to drive due to NoGo Fares.

My best to you all..
Old Jun 13, 2004, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP
What do US management think of inviting employees?

Hey Piney, do we know how US management think about inviting employees to Roachfest 2004? Personally, I still think we should keep this strictly between US management and their best customers.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lt1GM
Hey Piney, do we know how US management think about inviting employees to Roachfest 2004? Personally, I still think we should keep this strictly between US management and their best customers.
Yes we do know how US Airways feels. I have a response from my contact who is at the Sr. Executive level "Your Meeting, Your Call"

AB and I discussed this and he said it was my call. When I get the "Plan" finalized I will wait for a few days for more feedback from US and the other "roaches before I make a final decision. But here is where I'm leaning tonight, subject to change at any second.

Allow Employees? Yes with conditions. Conditions are
. Must be a FlyerTak poster or buyer - They can post on usaviation as well but this is about the ongoing success of Airways, Not "Full Pay to The Last Day"

No Employee Discount or Freebie- They pay the same as any Loyal cockroach.
Number will be limited - Preference being given to those who actually bought some "roach" goodies from the web site.

Executive Committee (myself, AB & Others) maintains final approval and reserves the right to exclude

I have already set up a mechanism on US Aviation for the employees to ask questions. My plan is to submt those to US Airways and post the responses on our website. As of this minute I do not have US's buy in, but I don't think it will be a problem.

This week will be busy for us and we hope to have it all nailed down by the weekend. With particulars regarding actual US attendees and formalization to the agenda taking longer.

Also somebaody mentioned block of rooms for attendees? Any Volunteers to look into that and report back? I'm up to my assets in alligators with what's on my plate now, can't do it all.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by PineyBob

Allow Employees? Yes with conditions. Conditions are
. Must be a FlyerTak poster or buyer - They can post on usaviation as well but this is about the ongoing success of Airways, Not "Full Pay to The Last Day"

No Employee Discount or Freebie- They pay the same as any Loyal cockroach.
Number will be limited - Preference being given to those who actually bought some "roach" goodies from the web site.

Sounds fair to me!
Old Jun 13, 2004, 11:01 pm

I'll reiterate my strong concern about hijacking this meeting which could be potentially important for US Airways flyers. This concern stems from my experience with similar meetings where attendees with a specific agenda brought up topics which were not central to the main focus of the meeting. This was a waste of time, created tension, and resulted in a missed opportunity.

If employees are allowed to attend, I believe the topic of labor negotiations issues should be off the table, unless the US execs include it in their formal comments.

I again stress (respectfully) this meeting should be about US policies and procedures for inflight and frequent flier programs, with a focus on customers.

Last edited by 19103_aa; Jun 13, 2004 at 11:04 pm
Old Jun 13, 2004, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
I'll reiterate my strong concern about hijacking this meeting which could be potentially important for US Airways flyers. This concern stems from my experience with similar meetings where attendees with a specific agenda brought up topics which were not central to the main focus of the meeting. This was a waste of time, created tension, and resulted in a missed opportunity.

If employees are allowed to attend, I believe the topic of labor negotiations issues should be off the table, unless the US execs include it in their formal comments.

I again stress (respectfully) this meeting should be about US policies and procedures for inflight and frequent flier programs, with a focus on customers.

First. You have my word that labor relations is OFF THE TABLE! No one from that department is invited from Airways. Nor will they be. PERIOD! It has been made clear I think that this session is to be customer focused. We will have a specific agenda that we will NOT deviate from and the opportunity will not be squandered. And as I have said early and often "You can't have true Customer Satisfaction without employee satisfaction" So IMO they belong with us, since they have invested in the purchase of our pins, etc.

Second We have a moral ethical obligation IMO to allow employees who bought pins, mugs, luggage tags, etc to attend. After all that is one of the only ways to track "Membership". So if they ponied up the dough for a pin and are willing to do the same to attend I think we are to a certain extent obligated to allow them in. No free lunch they pay just like we do. BTW I'm putting in my money just like everyone else.

Third - If you saw the level of intelligence of the folks who have submitted questions you would be far less concerned. The "Full PAy To The Last Day Crowd" will not attend, since they can't handle anything positive. What with the "poverty" wages how could they afford the $50.00.

Fourth - The front line employees insight into the daily "Nuts & Bolts" of an operation will I think be an eye opener to both Management and Customers. Their feedback properly channeled can help us and ultimately Airways

In conclusion we are talking about adding perhaps 6 people out of 60. the ones who have expressed an interest are from the workgroups we interact with the most. Give them credit for knowing where their bread is buttered and caring enough to attend. Those who have expressed interest are highly customer focused and I assure you will conduct themselves with the same skill and professionalism that is the reason we fly US Airways in the first place.

I appreciate your concerns, as I had the very same ones.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 4:03 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I'm in.

Arrive Friday afternoon, leave Sunday morning.

Down for the baseball game and discussion.

I vote that USAirways employees should be invited to attend (who knows, one might comp the bill... )

Presently undecided as to lodgings.

Last edited by Spiff; Jun 14, 2004 at 4:05 pm
Old Jun 14, 2004, 4:30 pm

First. You have my word that labor relations is OFF THE TABLE! No one from that department is invited from Airways. Nor will they be. PERIOD! It has been made clear I think that this session is to be customer focused. We will have a specific agenda that we will NOT deviate from and the opportunity will not be squandered. And as I have said early and often "You can't have true Customer Satisfaction without employee satisfaction" So IMO they belong with us, since they have invested in the purchase of our pins, etc.
I actually think that the last thing the UAIR attendees would care to discuss at this event is the labor/mgmt relations and concessions. There is ample rumor, speculation, and griping to be heard in breakrooms and crew lounges. Enough that getting away from it would be quite nice indeed.

As has been pointed out, the UAIR "honorary cockroaches" are interested in attending in order to meet the faces behind the postings. As well as discussing (and hopefully poking some fun at) service and operational issues.
(I like the proposed "name the fruit" contest!)

And in having an opportunity to thank you for your business.

Last edited by Dont call me Shirley; Jun 14, 2004 at 10:09 pm
Old Jun 14, 2004, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA EP
Surely, he should have that opportunity

Last edited by la2clt; Jun 14, 2004 at 9:59 pm
Old Jun 15, 2004, 7:00 am

Programs: CoFounder and Chairman, FFOCUS (Frequent Flyers Organized and concerned about Unacceptable Service.
Let Employees Attend--with conditions

I repeat my support for the idea of letting employees attend--as long as they understand that this is a customer-centric get together whose purpose is to get the company (management AND employees) and their best customers TOGETHER to save and grow this fine airline.

I think the fact that this question even came up is indicative of the deep chasm between two groups who are supposed to be on the same side--I will not place blame, but will just note how sad that is.

Let's make this a uniting experience to make US stronger, and not the other way around.

I have received some PM's from employees that I know who are interested in nothing more than to meet their customers and hear what we have to say, as well as to express their appreciation for our support. I do not think we should refuse these people.

Thanks for listening--now let's make this work!!!

My best to you all....
Old Jun 16, 2004, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Employees Allowed - with Conditions

Over the last several days there has been a mini debate into allowing US Employees to attend RoachFEST. Just for the record, US Airways SENIOR MANAGEMENT at ne time influenced our decision. The e-mail I recieved back was "Your meeting, Your Call"

So to be very honest the concern was on our side. Mostly due to the tenor of the posts on US Aviation as opposed to flyer talk which is more upbeat in general. After much internal debate the final decision was more or less left to me. Drum Roll!!!!

RoachFEST '04 is open to US employees regardless of workgroup. WITH CONDITIONS

Employees pay the same as "regular" Cockroaches, NO Exceptions

You understand the primary purpose of the meeting is customer centric and ONLY those issues will be discussed with US Airways Senior Management. Labor issues wil not be addressed.

The secondary purpose and some would argue the primary purpose is to get together and have some fun while having our voices heard.

That additionally we seek to BUILD bridges between Management & Customer, Customer & Front Line Employees. Non bridge builders are invited to stay home. All of us have a unique opportunity to participate in an unprecedented meeting with Sr. Management of a Major Airline. We can not squander this opportunity with bickering over issues that are best solved behind the scenes.

I assure you that you are as welcome as the Senior Managers at US are. You make our lives easier with your dedication and effort in troubled times. We appreciate that, truly we do.

Can a few dozen customers and employees alter the culture of a floundering major airline? I have no idea, but we have to try I think and this is a great first step. Will we always agree? Probably not, but US's willingness to at minimum listen is a great first step.

Employees who wish to attend, please PM me with you information and i will make sure you get registered and any pertinent information gets passed to you as we proceed.

Our (mostly mine) concerns were that some who post regularly on US Aviation that are the "Full Pay To The Last Day" crowd would attend with the express purpose of disrupting the meeting and frankly that employees might find the topics boring as you came from the "Other side of the fence".

Bottom line, let's have some fun in PHL on August 7th.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 10:31 am

Programs: US-Chairman, Hyatt_Diamond
Employees Allowed - with Conditions

Over the last several days there has been a mini debate into allowing US Employees to attend RoachFEST. Just for the record, US Airways SENIOR MANAGEMENT at ne time influenced our decision. The e-mail I recieved back was "Your meeting, Your Call"

So to be very honest the concern was on our side. Mostly due to the tenor of the posts on US Aviation as opposed to flyer talk which is more upbeat in general. After much internal debate the final decision was more or less left to me. Drum Roll!!!!

RoachFEST '04 is open to US employees regardless of workgroup. WITH CONDITIONS

Employees pay the same as "regular" Cockroaches, NO Exceptions

You understand the primary purpose of the meeting is customer centric and ONLY those issues will be discussed with US Airways Senior Management. Labor issues wil not be addressed.

The secondary purpose and some would argue the primary purpose is to get together and have some fun while having our voices heard.

That additionally we seek to BUILD bridges between Management & Customer, Customer & Front Line Employees. Non bridge builders are invited to stay home. All of us have a unique opportunity to participate in an unprecedented meeting with Sr. Management of a Major Airline. We can not squander this opportunity with bickering over issues that are best solved behind the scenes.

I assure you that you are as welcome as the Senior Managers at US are. You make our lives easier with your dedication and effort in troubled times. We appreciate that, truly we do.

Can a few dozen customers and employees alter the culture of a floundering major airline? I have no idea, but we have to try I think and this is a great first step. Will we always agree? Probably not, but US's willingness to at minimum listen is a great first step.

Employees who wish to attend, please PM me with you information and i will make sure you get registered and any pertinent information gets passed to you as we proceed.

Our (mostly mine) concerns were that some who post regularly on US Aviation that are the "Full Pay To The Last Day" crowd would attend with the express purpose of disrupting the meeting and frankly that employees might find the topics boring as you came from the "Other side of the fence".

Bottom line, let's have some fun in PHL on August 7th.

I think this is a reasonable and appropriate position.

Last edited by ALCARLOS; Jun 16, 2004 at 10:34 am
Old Jun 16, 2004, 8:02 pm

Programs: USAirways CP
Originally Posted by Art234
I repeat my support for the idea of letting employees attend--as long as they understand that this is a customer-centric get together whose purpose is to get the company (management AND employees) and their best customers TOGETHER to save and grow this fine airline.

I think the fact that this question even came up is indicative of the deep chasm between two groups who are supposed to be on the same side--I will not place blame, but will just note how sad that is.

Let's make this a uniting experience to make US stronger, and not the other way around.

I have received some PM's from employees that I know who are interested in nothing more than to meet their customers and hear what we have to say, as well as to express their appreciation for our support. I do not think we should refuse these people.

Thanks for listening--now let's make this work!!!

My best to you all....

I couldn't agree more. The reason we are passionate about USAirways is because of the great employees (especially the front-line employees). This can be a unifying and positive experience for all involved and can prove to be a good step forward. Let's include them! Saving this fine airline is the common goal for customers and employees alike.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.