Old Jun 3, 2004, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
US Airways Files for Approval to Codeshare With Bahamasair

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040603/dcth024_1.html

Press Release Source: US Airways

US Airways Files for Approval to Codeshare With Bahamasair
Thursday June 3, 2:17 pm ET

ARLINGTON, Va., June 3 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- US Airways today filed an application with the U.S. Department of Transportation to begin codesharing with Bahamasair, the flag carrier of the Islands of the Bahamas, later this summer.

Subject to government approval, the proposed agreement will encompass reciprocal frequent flyer program benefits and codesharing on 48 daily flights between the U.S. and the Bahamas, as well as intra-Bahamian flights, including new service for US Airways customers to Governors Harbour, George Town, Treasure Cay and San Salvador.

Bahamasair customers will be able to travel to new U.S. gateways, including Boston, Charlotte, N.C., New York's LaGuardia Airport, Philadelphia and Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, as well as make single-ticket connections to US Airways' nearly 200 destinations.

"We are very excited to become Bahamasair's first codeshare partner, expanding our breadth of service in the Caribbean region," said N. Bruce Ashby, US Airways senior vice president of alliances. "Bahamasair will offer our customers multiple daily connections to the secluded pink sand beaches of the Out Islands of the Bahamas, bringing paradise that much closer to home."

"We welcome this opportunity to partner with US Airways on this codeshare initiative, which repositions Bahamasair as a vehicle to generate inbound air stopover visitors to the Islands of the Bahamas from numerous US Airways gateways," said Van Diah, Bahamasair deputy general manager - commercial.

US Airways is the nation's seventh-largest airline, serving nearly 200 communities in the U.S., Canada, Europe, including 24 destinations in the Caribbean and Latin America. US Airways, US Airways Shuttle and the US Airways Express partner carriers operate over 3,300 flights per day. For more information on US Airways flight schedules and fares, contact US Airways online at http://usairways.com, or call US Airways Reservations at 1-800-428-4322.

Bahamasair, the national flag carrier of the Bahamas, operates daily from Nassau to 20 Bahamas destinations and four Florida destinations, in addition to service into Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands. For more information, call 1-800-222-4262 or visit our Web site at http://bahamasair.com.

Source: US Airways
Old Jun 3, 2004, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
i'm hoping they decide to partner with somone for internal Costa Rica flights next...they could make a lot of money if they did. Many people often fly to San jose then go to the beach.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
Costa Rica

Catwood-

By the way, how was your trip to SJO?
Old Jun 3, 2004, 2:32 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by catwood
i'm hoping they decide to partner with somone for internal Costa Rica flights next...they could make a lot of money if they did. Many people often fly to San jose then go to the beach.
American Airlines, Continental, Delta, and Northwest know this, and that's why they now all fly to the beach (Guanacaste Liberia International Airport/LIR on Costa Rica's Pacific coast). Northwest doesn't even fly to SJO, only LIR. US Airways flying there in the future would not surprise me.

Bahamasair is an unreliable airline, especially on intra-Bahamas flights, flying an ancient (however, very well-maintained) fleet of Dash-8s and 737-200s. I don't know why US Airways is partnering with them. They are going to be getting some very unhappy customers.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 10:09 pm

Programs: Delta FO, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
This was the WORST airline I have ever flown in my life. FLL to NAS (30 min in air) on a 732, and I was truly scared (and I am a rated private pilot, so I actually have a clue of what goes on up there). Flight was also delayed 4 hours. I could have swam there faster.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 8:43 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by dsingerUNC
This was the WORST airline I have ever flown in my life. FLL to NAS (30 min in air) on a 732, and I was truly scared (and I am a rated private pilot, so I actually have a clue of what goes on up there). Flight was also delayed 4 hours. I could have swam there faster.
Could you expand on this a bit? I've flown BahamasAir several times, am also a pilot, and noticed nothing amiss that would cause me to question the safety of the airline. Just curious what you found disturbing about your flight.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 2:11 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Bahamasair has a pretty impeccable safety record. They are quite a safe airline to fly, and they maintain thier fleet of 732s and Dash-8s (some of those 732s are 35+ years old) very, very well. They also have a very friendly flight crew. That, however, is where the good ends. Thier flights are often delayed, thier intra-Bahamas flights are often canceled because of poor loads, and they have such a small fleet running a very tight schedule, they are often unable to complete it. This is a mistake for US Airways.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 3:37 pm

Location: PIT at school, PHL/ACY at home...US Airways Gold Preferred
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Thier flights are often delayed, thier intra-Bahamas flights are often canceled because of poor loads, and they have such a small fleet running a very tight schedule, they are often unable to complete it. This is a mistake for US Airways.
US seems to have taken care of this. There is a reliability clause in the codeshare agreement that says each carrier must maintain an 85% ontime number and a 97% completion factor, with a small allowance for a bad month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.