Search

First timer on US - flying transatlantic

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2004, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan 75, Marriott Platinum
First timer on US - flying transatlantic

Hello all,

I'm flying to Glasgow from Chicago next month on US airways on fare class W. The difference between that class and the upgradable fare is $300.

Here's my question. Given I have no miles on US (i'm a united Premier Exec) - is there any ways I can upgrade to Business? Does US sometimes offer upgrades at check in for money - i.e. for $200 you can upgrade like BMI or United do sometimes? Finally, what other ways can I potentially upgrade? Trying to see if its worth buying the more expensive fare.

Thanks
Old May 20, 2004, 9:58 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
The only thing I can think of is Transatlantic space available or space positive upgrade certs. They used to show up on eBay often, but I think they have been much harder to find this year.
Old May 20, 2004, 10:35 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
move miles?

Could you use UA miles to get the 30,000 mile upgrade? If not, if it's important to you, open a US acct and move UA or Amex or other miles into there and then get the upgrade. I believe it's only the 767 you're flying, not the A330 so if you think you could sleep the whole way, I'd just score an exit row seat in Y and call it a day.
Old May 20, 2004, 2:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
move miles? Nope...

Sorry...

There isn't a way to use UA miles to upgrade a US intermational flight.

There also is not a way to move UA miles into your US Div. Mile account.
Old May 20, 2004, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA; Amtrak
According to the DM website you as a 1P can request an update on a W fare using purchased certificates ($40/500 miles), though it's not clear whether this is domestic only... http://www.usairways.com/dividendmil...s_mp_on_us.htm
Old May 20, 2004, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by choster
...though it's not clear whether this is domestic only...
Actually, it is pretty clear. On your link itself: "Travel Area: Published routes within/between the U.S., Canada, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America."
Old May 20, 2004, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks

thanks all. I think I'll just suck it up and take whatever I get!

Thanks
Old May 29, 2004, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Transatlantic space available

Originally Posted by MikeLaw
The only thing I can think of is Transatlantic space available or space positive upgrade certs. They used to show up on eBay often, but I think they have been much harder to find this year.
Are they transferrable? i.e. if one buys a Transatlantic SA upgrade can it really be used or can each upgrade cert only be used by a specific individual?
Old May 30, 2004, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by deeman
Are they transferrable? i.e. if one buys a Transatlantic SA upgrade can it really be used or can each upgrade cert only be used by a specific individual?
They are. Travel agents sometimes have them -- when I switched my companies business over, the TA gave me a handful of domestic ones last year. I believe that they are mostly given to corporate accounts. Last year they showed up on ebay all the time. This year, not so much.

Please note: These should not be confused with the space available certs that used to be awarded to SP & GP. They are not trasferrable.
Old May 31, 2004, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Ds0084

Originally Posted by MikeLaw
They are. Travel agents sometimes have them -- when I switched my companies business over, the TA gave me a handful of domestic ones last year. I believe that they are mostly given to corporate accounts. Last year they showed up on ebay all the time. This year, not so much.

Please note: These should not be confused with the space available certs that used to be awarded to SP & GP. They are not trasferrable.
I managed to get my hands on TSA upgrade certs with star code DS0084. I'm guessing I can use them as there is no name mentioned on the cert?
Old Sep 8, 2004, 5:26 am

Programs: AY-G, TK*S, AB-S, EY, LH, DL, UA, BA, AA, all hotel programmes
Originally Posted by deeman
I managed to get my hands on TSA upgrade certs with star code DS0084. I'm guessing I can use them as there is no name mentioned on the cert?
anyone have any experience with this. even though they dont have a name printed on them, they say "non transferable" on the backside. Is the number of those certs linked to a DM account or anything? Or are there two different DS0084s around - transferable for travel agents and non transferable for elites?
Old Sep 8, 2004, 7:17 am

Programs: US lowlife
Originally Posted by mith
anyone have any experience with this. even though they dont have a name printed on them, they say "non transferable" on the backside. Is the number of those certs linked to a DM account or anything? Or are there two different DS0084s around - transferable for travel agents and non transferable for elites?
They can be used by anyone. I had used a set of these last year as a US4 and had absolutely no issues. The "non-transferrable" is simply a good faith clause.

It stinks that the ones for use this year had our names printed on them, otherwise I would have been glad to donate them back to the FT community.

-JC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.