Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CHANGING AT PHILADELPHIA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2004, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the intel. It seems our airline's supervisors and agents are either unable or unwilling to tell the truth,that is telling us row 22 was an exit row. I will have a bad trip to Rome and they will have two less passengers.

I'd like to know more about about hiding the luggage and the amazin mystery tour to C16. At this point it is all defense, I am trying to make the best of a bad situation.

Again, thanks to all. If ever aneed on DC let me know.
Old Feb 1, 2004, 2:11 pm

I really don't think that the agents were lying to you, having seen the seat map for the aircraft myself, I understand how row 22 could be mistaken for the exit row by someone who has not actually been on the aircraft, as the seat map makes it seem that there are no seats in row 21.

While I understand that you would like more legroom, I really don't think that you will find US's coach product to be that bad on the A330. The seats are quite comfortable and feature lumbar support and an adjustable headrest, as well as a personal video monitor with on demand audio and video. A list of the current video offerings is here.http://www.usairways.com/travel/infl.../feb04/330.htm

The only downside is that US does charge for alcohol and headsets, ($5 each) although once you buy a pair of headsets they are yours to keep.

Here is a small portion of the seat map that the agents see so hopefully you can understand the confusion. Keep in mind that there really is a seat 21ABGH, it is just not shown on the map, as it is blocked for crew rest.

Code:
    A B   C D E F   G H
 19 . .   . . . .   . . 19 
 20 . .   . . . .   . . 20
    LAV   LAV LAV   LAV
X21       . . . .       21X
 22 . .   . . . .   . . 22 
    A B   C D E F   G H

------------------
No thanks, I'm just lurking. Call me the Lurker!
Old Feb 1, 2004, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Another way to see the exit row is to do a reservation on ITN's Amex engine and check the seat map. The exit row shows up in a different color. In this case, row 21 is obviously the exit row.
Old Feb 2, 2004, 4:21 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
Just in case I needed a reality check, I flew through PHL via USAirways Express to a mainline connection. Our flight arrived at the famous Terminal F, 15 minutes early. Gate occupied, but it was Saturday afternoon, when many of the flights don't operate. In spite of that, we sat on the runway, engines running (can you imagine the fuel burn?), for 20 minutes, before somebody in there figured out they could assign us to another gate. Once inside, I made my way to the shuttle bus. No bus, just a line from the door, all the way across the terminal. It looked like Macy's at Christmas, with the kids lined up to sit on Santa's lap. Eventually the bus pulls up, and everyone is trying to get on, but the driver doesn't open the rear side door. A guy posted at the terminal entrance goes over, pounds on the bus, and tells the moron to open the door. We make our way to the main terminal, get to the departure gate, see a plane parked on the jetway, but are then told there's no crew. It's the end of the month, and they have so downsized, that in a month with active weather, like January, by the end of it, they run out of crew time. When we finally board, there is utter chaos. People just pour on. I must end up being number 50 in the boarding process on the 737, but when I get into the F cabin, it's almost completely empty. As I enter the plane, I mention to the FA that it's nuts out there. She responds, "It's just Philly". Sorry, but this company can never survive without correcting the operational difficulties at PHL, which are almost entirely about people and management.

(spelling edit)

[This message has been edited by deelmakur (edited Feb 02, 2004).]
Old Feb 2, 2004, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Your comments and suggestions have been great. I feel I have a fighting chance.

Would you recommend trying to get from F gates to A on foot and with the walkways between C and A Someone told me it was a mile. About a 20 min walk, and you are in control.

Again thanks, I feel better briefed than on some combat missions I have flown.
Old Feb 2, 2004, 1:47 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 1ST MI:
Would you recommend trying to get from F gates to A on foot and with the walkways between C and A Someone told me it was a mile. About a 20 min walk, and you are in control.</font>
I may be mistaken, but I think if you want to walk all the way from F to A, you have to re-enter security.
Old Feb 2, 2004, 3:47 pm

At PHL, terminals A-D are connected inside security, with a bus from C16 to F. There is no way to get between E and any of the other terminals without going through security.

So you can take the bus from F to C16, then walk from there, or take the bus all the way from F to A (when they're running it).

Outside of security, terminals B-C and D-E-F are connected indoors. To get between A-B or C-D outside of security you can walk along the SEPTA train platform, which at least gets you out of the weather.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.