Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CLT Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2004, 6:10 am
Original Poster

CLT Hotels

Wife and I are doing a one night stopover in CLT.

Is there a hotel in the airport? If not, can anyone recommend a hotel (and any nearby restaurants) that is close to the airport and offers shuttle service?

Thanks.
--Alex
Old Jan 23, 2004, 6:35 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I've only stayed at the CLT airport Sheraton, which was nothing to write home about. The ride into the city only takes about 10-15 min (depending upon time of day), and there you'll have a lot more options both for hotel & dinning. I can recommend the new Westin or the Hilton--if you are looking for a chain hotel for points.
Lots of restaurants around those properties.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 6:36 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Alex

There are no hotels on the airport property but there are many that are close and offer shuttles. From my some what foggy memory this morning, there is a Courtyard, a Holiday Inn, and a some what run of the mill Sheraton to name a few.

Do you have elite status with anyone? Any ideas on the price range you are looking for? With that info, there are alot of folks from CLT on this board that can help.

For research on your own, try this link...
http://www.charlottecvb.org/01_visit...ct=1&subsect=1

Click on the area link (airport) in the green seach function on right.

[This message has been edited by longing4piedmont (edited Jan 23, 2004).]
Old Jan 23, 2004, 8:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Ranking the SPG properties in CLT:

Westin - by far the best. It's brand new and right downtown.

Sheraton Airport - typical run-of-the-mill Sheraton but probably your best bet if you are getting in late and depating early.

Four Points Downtown - I actually stay here a few times each year. It's usually cheap ($79 or so) and as a Gold I get a nice upgrade to one of the top two floors. They also have a good breakfast buffet that's included in most rates.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 8:45 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by longing4piedmont:
Do you have elite status with anyone? Any ideas on the price range you are looking for? With that info, there are alot of folks from CLT on this board that can help.</font>
We're landing at 3pm and taking off around 10am.

I don't have any elite status.. I have a Starwood points account, but nothing to write home about. Don't frequently stay in hotels. However, I think the wife would prefer the Westin.

Can anyone recommend a good Chinese or Mexican restaurant nearby?

Thanks.
--Alex

Old Jan 23, 2004, 9:02 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ayb1:
We're landing at 3pm and taking off around 10am.

I don't have any elite status.. I have a Starwood points account, but nothing to write home about. Don't frequently stay in hotels. However, I think the wife would prefer the Westin.

Can anyone recommend a good Chinese or Mexican restaurant nearby?

Thanks.
--Alex

</font>
Don't know about Chinese but just about all Mexican resturants in NC are like eating in Mexico. Heck, Half of Mexico now lives in CLT and runs a resturant.

Seriously, I'll leave the reccomendations to the others since we live about a hour away and we would rather be beat with a stick than go to CLT.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 9:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ayb1:
We're landing at 3pm and taking off around 10am.</font>
Go for the Westin.

Hopefully some of the CLT locals or ex-locals (Beckles?) can help you with the dining recommendations downtown. There are a lot of choices but I certainly don't know the area nearly as well as many others who post here.

Old Jan 23, 2004, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Only problem with the Westin is no airport shuttle and it is a few blocks from decent eats downtown. Despite that, it would be my first choice as the weather is not an issue and the neighborhood is safe.

The Executive Park Hilton and Marriott have shuttles but your food is limited to Chili's, a BBQ place, Chinese and The Men's Club...hmmm.

I stay at the Westin frequently and it is nice...very new, nice bar, decent staff. If you can, try to get a corner room.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 12:54 pm

Programs: US Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Amex Plat
For some good local "soul" food try Mert's -(great fried chicken, collard greens etc..-Its about a 10 minute walk from the Westin but closes early at night. For Italian food try Luce in the Hearst Building.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Starwood Gold
They Hyatt in Southpark is nice but there is not a shuttle. Two restaurants in this area stick out for Asian food: PF Changs (run of the mill Asian Bistro) and Taipei South (in a strip mall but excellent inexpensive food).

If you need to stay downtown, I would go with the Westin. Just finished last year I believe and within walking distance of the entire downtown. Nothing sticks out in my mind for food downtown.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Capital Grill is always nice...small chain, but nice. Best bet for steak is McIntosh's on South Blvd in my opine.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 10:27 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Homewood Suites!
Old Jan 24, 2004, 10:47 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DCATravel:
They Hyatt in Southpark is nice but there is not a shuttle. Two restaurants in this area stick out for Asian food: PF Changs (run of the mill Asian Bistro) and Taipei South (in a strip mall but excellent inexpensive food).

If you need to stay downtown, I would go with the Westin. Just finished last year I believe and within walking distance of the entire downtown. Nothing sticks out in my mind for food downtown.
</font>
I usually stay at the Hyatt and recommend renting a car (weekends at Hertz I pay $20 for an intermediate,) if you plan to stay there. It's a ways from the airport. PF Changs is good but can be pricy. It's close by the Hyatt.

[This message has been edited by rbAA (edited Jan 24, 2004).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.