Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ideas on How to Save USAir

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2003, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Ideas on How to Save USAir

Install TV's in every seat (domestically); No major carrier here in the US does it (unless you call Frontier and JetBlue majors which they aren't) I'd definitely fly USAir over anyone else with a tv and that can be a major advantage over everyone else..and maybe charge a few collars like Frontier does to make some quick easy money

Reinvent First Class; yeah this maybe a little out there but reinvent the first class seats..I have to think further but the first class seats our just horendus looking maybe base them off a european carrier becuase over there they actually do spend $$ on first class (a few airlines in the US do too)

Retrain the workers; heres an idea-make the people nicer?! Who knew!! try to make your emplyess happy with parties and bonuses (a la Southwest/JetBlue) bottom line just try to make them happy which in return they will be nicer to the customers which in return will want to fly US again

Easier way to get miles; for the inflight cafe maybe for every meal 50-100 miles and for the Visa card every dollar you spend you get 2 miles instead of one and give 100 mile bonuses around the holidays..United is doing that this year but its from "ted".

Just a few ideas.. post yours

Last edited by iflyPIT; Feb 18, 2005 at 5:14 pm
Old Nov 26, 2003, 5:55 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Also:

1. Get rid of the turboprops (I guess this is coming with the regional jet order, but it's a huge disadvantage versus other airlines).

2. Do everything possible to block Southwest from getting more gates at PHL. Don't Pennsylvania politicians realize the huge job losses in their state that will result when US Airways goes under?

3. Start a low-fare airline called "Ways". (just kidding)
Old Nov 26, 2003, 6:54 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, Intercontinental Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NYCommuter:
[B]Also:

2. Do everything possible to block Southwest from getting more gates at PHL. Don't Pennsylvania politicians realize the huge job losses in their state that will result when US Airways goes under?

B]</font>
Sure PA understands this.....but PIT is also in PA and US has P1ssed all over PIT. This would have never happened without the stance US took at PIT.

I believe that PA officials don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about US's long term future.....thus they have to entertain the interest of other carriers in PIT and PHL.

Had US negotiated in good faith over PIT, the state would have continued to protect the fortress hubs from the LCCs in PA. Later next year, you'll see SW come to PIT in addition to PHL.

US did this to themselves with the "20 minute lease cancellation notice".
Old Nov 26, 2003, 7:26 pm

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Since someone has posed the question "How to save USAir?", there is one answer I've thought about, but don't know if it could be pulled off, or if so, how it could be done... Buy the Airline.

If we (i.e. we, the US Flyertalk community) could all buy enough stock to gain a controlling interest, and perhaps get the employees to go along, we could control the airline and fix it the way "it should be fixed".

I know it's not that simple as buying a loaf of bread at WalMart, but that would be a solution to these problems. Sure, someone buying a few shares here and there aren't alot, but if pooled, they could be a voice.

As Dennis Miller used to say, "That's just my opinion... I could be wrong."

------------------
A "Mileage Run"... is that what they're called? I've been doing them for years and didn't know they had a name.
Old Nov 26, 2003, 8:52 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jimcfsus:
If we (i.e. we, the US Flyertalk community) could all buy enough stock to gain a controlling interest, and perhaps get the employees to go along, we could control the airline and fix it the way "it should be fixed".

As Dennis Miller used to say, "That's just my opinion... I could be wrong."

</font>
Dennis Miller wasn't that nuts!

Old Nov 26, 2003, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jimcfsus:
Since someone has posed the question "How to save USAir?", there is one answer I've thought about, but don't know if it could be pulled off, or if so, ow it could be done... Buy the Airline.
</font>
Old joke:

Q. How do make 10 million dollars in the airline business?

A. Start out with 100 Million.

Old Nov 27, 2003, 4:39 am

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by whatsontv:
Dennis Miller wasn't that nuts!

</font>

I never said it was a sane solution...

------------------
A "Mileage Run"... is that what they're called? I've been doing them for years and didn't know they had a name.
Old Nov 27, 2003, 10:30 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
I don't know the numbers, but I bet RSA holds a majority or close to it with the money they put in for the bankruptcy bailout. They put in ~$350M, so they're going to want to get at least that back.
Old Nov 28, 2003, 5:05 am

Programs: CO Platinum, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz Presidents
How about this idea.........

Make the product better than your competition!!

People will always pay a little more for a better product.

This airline has so much potential.
Old Nov 28, 2003, 11:51 am

1) Cut the small jets and props.
2) Have more international routes. ( Others have said that US has an excellent international serivice)
3) Release one of your eastern Hubs and open one in the mid-states or in the western part of the country and create more routes on the West coast.

Well thats my 2 cents.
Old Nov 28, 2003, 2:39 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dontsaystewardess:
How about this idea.........

Make the product better than your competition!!

People will always pay a little more for a better product.

This airline has so much potential.
</font>
I think everyone who's a regular here would agree... problem is it's not going to happen with the current management team. So, fire the management and get some new blood in there.

------------------
Old Nov 29, 2003, 6:37 am

Several other posters have mentioned this, US management has no vision for the future of the company. Without a vision as to what you want your airline to be in the future, nothing is going to change.

Old Nov 29, 2003, 8:46 am

Does anybody know their vision?????

Josh ~Just my 2 cents~
Old Nov 29, 2003, 11:38 am

Programs: WN:No status in 2015; UA:1K long gone (1995-2003).
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AA-CLT:
3) Release one of your eastern Hubs... and create more routes on the West coast.</font>
In the late 80s'/early 90's, US was a major player if not the dominant carrier in the intra-California market thanks to their 1987 purchase of PSA: LAX-SFO, LAX-OAK, LAX-SMF, LAX-LAS, LAX-RNO, SAN-SFO, etc. Each of these cities had extensive east-west service to US hubs, especially PIT.

Circa 1994, US pulled out of the intra-California markets (including LAS, RNO), paving the way for WN's explosive growth on the west coast. But that's another story.

Old Nov 29, 2003, 7:46 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Nevada1K:
In the late 80s'/early 90's, US was a major player if not the dominant carrier in the intra-California market thanks to their 1987 purchase of PSA: LAX-SFO, LAX-OAK, LAX-SMF, LAX-LAS, LAX-RNO, SAN-SFO, etc. Each of these cities had extensive east-west service to US hubs, especially PIT.

Circa 1994, US pulled out of the intra-California markets (including LAS, RNO), paving the way for WN's explosive growth on the west coast. But that's another story.

</font>

I always thought that was a bad move by US. I liked flying the SFO-LAX shuttle when out on the left coast. The airline created by the PSA and Piedmont mergers could have been a dominant carrier, even with the disolution of the Syracuse and Dayton hubs. Hindsight is 20/20.

------------------

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.