Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Time magazine article mentioning USAir

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2003, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Time magazine article mentioning USAir

Interesting article from Time that mentions US Airways.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...549004,00.html

Michael Klawansky

[This message has been edited by klawansky (edited Nov 25, 2003).]
Old Nov 25, 2003, 1:32 pm

Programs: Skymiles Silver, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Doesn't just mention US Airways, but bashes them and points out the truth, that it won't survive.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by klawansky:
Interesting article from Time that mentions US Airways.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...549004,00.html

Michael Klawansky

[This message has been edited by klawansky (edited Nov 25, 2003).]
</font>
Old Nov 25, 2003, 5:08 pm

Maybe if they did something to increase revenues or make passengers happier, they would get better press.

The only moves they have done to increase revenues are IFC, higher club prices and a less favorable upgrade policy for Gold and Siver so they have to buy some upgrade certificates (500 mile certificates vs 800 and each segment needs one). These may increase revenues by a minute amount but they kill customer satisfaction.

Don't even get me started on the bad decisions on the cost savings side....

People are flying them for price (leisure market) or loyalty.

They do not stand out for any other reason.

Old Nov 25, 2003, 5:11 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold
Then what's a cockroach to do? I'm a CP roach but a nobody on Delta and AA doesn't go where I need to be! Somebody better gobble up US so we can save our DM accounts.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Get a plan B. My plan B is United. I think they will get their ATSB loan and they are doing very well in bankruptcy.

In October UA had a $60 million operating profit. It was the ninth consecutive monthly operational profit for them--A good sign UA is going to be here after bankruptcy.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sassamanlaw:
Then what's a cockroach to do? I'm a CP roach but a nobody on Delta and AA doesn't go where I need to be! Somebody better gobble up US so we can save our DM accounts.</font>
Old Nov 25, 2003, 6:39 pm
Original Member

Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA**US Airways Gold, Marriott Gold
Trying to figure out what a plan B would be from CHA--the loss of segment qualification means I would get no status whatsoever on DL, NW the same as you have to be on a B or higher to get segments there, and while AA would not be bad program-wise, their last departure from Lovell Field is impractially early at 16:41. (We don't have UA or CO unless you count codeshares, nor any LCC.)
Old Nov 26, 2003, 1:26 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
America West is always one operating quarter from insolvency. Many of its passengers must be Vampires, as it seems to run half its schedule in the middle of the night. As for "endangered species", being a "weekly newsmagazine" in the age of the computer should put TIME on that shortlist. The geniuses in Crystal City may be running this thing into the ground, but they are "our geniuses", and even I will defend them when someone uses America West as an example of the great American success story. Besides, all I really want to know is if it really is a requirement to be a pilot for USAir Express, that your hat be too big for your head?
Old Nov 26, 2003, 7:47 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by deelmakur:
The geniuses in Crystal City may be running this thing into the ground, but they are "our geniuses", and even I will defend them when someone uses America West as an example of the great American success story. Besides, all I really want to know is if it really is a requirement to be a pilot for USAir Express, that your hat be too big for your head?</font>
LOL. I agree, it is our bozo management and we get to chime in because they are messing up "our airline".

Old Nov 26, 2003, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
You have to give America West credit though. They have been in a knock-down drag-out fight with WN and they are still here. Sharing your two major hubs--Las Vegas and Phoenix--with WN and still surviving is no small feat.
Old Nov 27, 2003, 3:25 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
The real loser in that battle has been
Greyhound.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.