Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United status on USAir metal

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2003, 7:13 am
Original Poster

United status on USAir metal

I cannot find a thread on this subject, so point me in the right direction if it already exists.

When purchasing tix on USAirways.com I have the option on the Reservations Screen to choose to earn United miles. Does this include status miles/segments?

In other words, can I travel throughout 2004 on USAir metal as a CP, get upgraded, yet earn elite status on United and in turn give up Preferred status?
Old Nov 21, 2003, 7:19 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
I think your boarding status, etc. is based on the FF acount that you use for the flight. E.g., if you are US CP and UA Base level and you use your UA number, you will sit in the cheap seats nad not earn bonus UA miles.

I've thought about it myself since I'm US Silver (barely) but would consider becoming UA elite instead.
Old Nov 21, 2003, 7:25 am

Based upon my understanding of the agreement as well as the experience of flying a few codeshares on UA with miles going to my US account, you will accrue status miles in the carrier program of your choice, however in the situation you noted, you would not be able to upgrade on US.

The FF information will show your UA information and therefore prevent you from being upgraded. UA's computer system is a master at controlling this sort of thing, however a couple of people noted that when flying on US they still snagged an upgrade. Based upon the rules and information posted, these are infrequent exceptions.

IMHO, the codeshare was really designed to fill planes and expand route offerings....the airlines never cared about giving us easy upgrade ability. In fact, I don't think it became a part of the discussion until after the deal was inked!

If in doubt, call the agent and see if what they tell you makes any rational sense at all.

May the force be with you.
Old Nov 21, 2003, 8:51 am

My limited experience based upon a flight is that if you are on a UA ticket on US metal and have your UA number (I am a UA peon) in you are relegated to the really cheap seats. I had to book a flight as a code share on US metal because the online biz travel site I have to use at work only let me fly on a code share and would not price a US ticket for the same flights. Some bug in the system I guess.

I got cheap seat assignments at the back of the plane but figured I would correct at the airport knowing that I could not upgrade earlier. I had to have the agent put in my DM number, then that got me the right to upgrade instantly as a CP for my flight. I did not upgrade my connection but that was due to equipment changes and based upon the mass confusion at the gate, I did not have the heart to ask the gate agent to redo the BP after I got from row 21 to row 4. However, the 27 minute flight was one I could tolerate in coach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.