Search

Thought on Thread Closure

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2003, 7:36 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
Thought on Thread Closure

I have no issues with this activity, except to draw an analogy. My DirectTV (and CATV before I had that)puts literally hundreds of channels into my set, but I probably only use about 25% of them. Likewise, many of us, who are relatively active here on FT, rarely go to these other more general areas. The assumption that most of the FT population spends time outside specific carrier threads may not be accurate.
Old Oct 13, 2003, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
I agree. I find UA, US, SAS and Star to be more than I can keep up with, especially UA.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 1:02 am

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold
wouldn't this, too, be a thread eligible for closure?

-- he who slacks
Old Oct 14, 2003, 5:00 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by deelmakur:
The assumption that most of the FT population spends time outside specific carrier threads may not be accurate.</font>
Absolutely correct. I am in here 99% of the time, and often don't have the time nor the desire to seek out threads in other forums.

I see no reason we shouldn't have an occasional "off topic seat reclining" discussion in here, especially amongst US regulars.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 5:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
While I'm a US Forum regular (along with Starwood and a few others) and I don't really hit the big bzz forums often, I think we do need to stay on the topic of US Airways (for the most part) in this forum. Otherwise, we'll end up like the Air Canada forum where they have a whole series of "OT (off topic) posts that is way too confusing.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 6:19 am

Oh, I agree, geo. It's just that if occasionally we have an interesting thread that could apply to more than just US, I say we shouldn't lock it unless it gets out of control.

I mean, it's not like we're not talking about something airline-related!
Old Oct 14, 2003, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Of all the forums I have visited I think our current level of moderation is just about right. No name-calling and no off-topic threads. I have seen some other forums where the moderators seem to micro-manage every thread.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the overall amiable atmosphere and informative posts in the US forum have caused many people not to post here!
Old Oct 14, 2003, 9:19 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chexfan:
I think the overall amiable atmosphere and informative posts in the US forum have caused many people not to post here! </font>
Yeah, now move it on back to UA chexie ...
Old Oct 14, 2003, 10:40 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by geo1005:
Otherwise, we'll end up like the Air Canada forum where they have a whole series of "OT (off topic) posts that is way too confusing.</font>
This, for anyone who is wondering, is exactly why I elected to lock the thread in question.

That, and there is a 4 page monster already established in the proper forum, and if you extend the analogy out a bit, you could end up with about 18 different threads on seat defendinging/reclining in every different airline forum.

The primary motivation, however, it to avoid the AC forum syndrome. I am very aware of the cordial nature of the US forum as compared to other forums, and want to keep it that way (our info to flame ratio is very, very high. Your friendly moderators want to keep it that way).

And on the topic of this thread being eligible to be closed/moved? Perhaps, if it gets out of hand or reaches the point where Randy becomes a more apropos audience. I don't think we are anywhere close, but if you have a moderation beef (now or ever) I urge you to contact your friendly moderator(s) first, and then go up the chain if you are unhappy with the result.

------------------
Don't feed the trolls.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 11:34 am

Maybe I'll start a thread about the possible closure of this thread.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 5:32 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
From the peanut gallery, I would like to vote for anarchy, but since no one asked me, I'll go back to my corner.

Old Oct 14, 2003, 7:27 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
CLUE, I wasn't complaining about dumping a thread I started. It wasn't that good anyway. You are quite right in saying it had been covered elsewhere. I was just making the point that not as many people as you might think use every aspect of FT. I think the majority of us do just a few forums. If that's true, decisions made by moderators need to take that into account. I'm done on this subject.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 8:51 pm

Programs: SWA
Agreeing with everything everyone has said before {except for Beckles } and want to add 2 points.

1. I almost never leave the warm cocoon that is the US forum.

2. When the thread was closed, I did go and read the thread linked therein, thank you.

Just being happy, cockroachin' to Vegas.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 6:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by irabk:
Agreeing with everything everyone has said before {except for Beckles}... </font>

Hey look irabk, I've got enough friends already. No need to try and cozy up to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.