Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$500 for Gold?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2003, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

$500 for Gold?

I registered today for the gold challenge. I've flown about 25K, so I've qualified for Silver next year. As United flights don't count for the status challenge, I only have 3700 miles booked on US, thus I need to go overseas. Looking at my options (via PHL), I can do US PHL-LGW in Dec, leave Fri nite, arrive Sat AM, depart Sun AM for $335.00. Take in transport, meals, a show, and I'm at ~ $500.

Questions:
1) Is $500 worth it for gold?
2) What are my chances for using my transatlantic upgrades departing Fri eve, returning Sun eve?

Thanks in advance...
Old Sep 17, 2003, 4:47 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PHLbuddy:
I registered today for the gold challenge. I've flown about 25K, so I've qualified for Silver next year. As United flights don't count for the status challenge, I only have 3700 miles booked on US, thus I need to go overseas. Looking at my options (via PHL), I can do US PHL-LGW in Dec, leave Fri nite, arrive Sat AM, depart Sun AM for $335.00. Take in transport, meals, a show, and I'm at ~ $500.

Questions:
1) Is $500 worth it for gold?
2) What are my chances for using my transatlantic upgrades departing Fri eve, returning Sun eve?

Thanks in advance...
</font>
I wouldn't pay it just to do a MR, but if there's a trip you were on the fence about, then it might be worth it. The only thing you get additional is more e-upgrades and earlier window for upgrades to process.

I dunno about the upgrades clearing, but if you need more miles, you might want to look at PHL-CLT-LGW as a potential alternate route. Make sure you don't get a V fare if you want to upgrade (but I've noticed most of the LGW sales are Q fares). You might want to take a look at the seat availablility on the various LGW flights to see which looks the most accomodating to upgrades.
Old Sep 17, 2003, 5:42 pm

You also earn a 100% mileage bonus as a gold, as opposed to a 50% as a silver.

------------------
No thanks, I'm just lurking. Call me the Lurker!
Old Sep 18, 2003, 5:42 am

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
If you are planning on keeping US as your main airline, I would 'go for it'.

I think Golds definitely get treated better than Silvers. The 100% mileage bonus is nice. Also, the upgrade opportunities for Silvers are very much reduced from where they were 2 years ago.

Also, London is a very interesting city. Lots of things to see and do. Headed there next week myself for a pub inspection tour.
Old Sep 18, 2003, 9:28 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PHLbuddy:
I can do US PHL-LGW in Dec, leave Fri nite, arrive Sat AM, depart Sun AM for $335.00. Take in transport, meals, a show, and I'm at ~ $500.</font>
Did you include the cost of a hotel in your $500?

Old Sep 18, 2003, 9:58 am

If you are looking for an inexpensive hotel, I would definately look at Priceline. It seems that I have gotten a lot more deals in London than anywhere else. I have gotten 4* hotels for $50-55! Might be worth a try, unless you have your heart set on a particular hotel.

------------------
No thanks, I'm just lurking. Call me the Lurker!
Old Sep 18, 2003, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Babu:
Did you include the cost of a hotel in your $500?

</font>
I have some Starwood awards, or alternately, a hotel "club" membership through my employer
Old Sep 25, 2003, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Alright a bit of an update:
I can't find the lowest fares for my dates (and others don't work). A few hours to find upgradeable fares on A330 yield two options
11 DEC US 26 PHL-CDG J4P4C4I0 Q Fare
15 DEC US 27 CDG-PHL J4P4C4I0 Q Fare
Total: $500.70 - $50 off coupon = $450.70

11 DEC US 126 PHL-LGW J4P4C4I0 H Fare
15 DEC US 99 LGW-PHL J4P4C4I0 H Fare
Total: $428.70 - $50 off coupon = $378.70

I'm bummed the I bucket is empty, but what are non-CP experiences getting upgraded with 4s in the others? Is LGW or CDG easier? And finally, I'm guessing the H fare for LGW is better than Q for CDG.

Thanks in advance!

[This message has been edited by PHLbuddy (edited 09-28-2003).]
Old Sep 27, 2003, 9:46 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
Envoy is almost always upgraded at the gate, and not in advance.

I'm assuming the dates above are wrong, since they're in the past. There's a $231 + taxes (about $300 total) Q class fare from PHL to LGW valid from 1 Nov to 28 Feb on M/T/W/H flights. If you need some extra miles, route through CLT. Take a night flight out on Thursday and come back Monday. You'll only miss Friday and Monday from the office.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.