Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US does the deal - orders lots of RJs

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2003, 2:47 pm

Location: The First State, USA - Bonvoy Gold, Honors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Gold - FWIW
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Skylink USA:
Someday they may get rid of the US Airways Express name because the entire airline will be an express. Still, it's better than no US.</font>

Nah... Express will still be around. Mainline will simply become United.
Old May 12, 2003, 3:21 pm

United, no kidding. US could buy them. The little fish eating the big fish has happened before. TTA, later Texas International, ate Continental.
Old May 12, 2003, 6:34 pm

Location: Dirt USair, Gold Hilton, Gold Marriott, Platinum Hyatt
I was just curious...

All the talk of USAir placing huge orders for 4.3 billion dollars worth of RJ's got me thinking if there are any equivalent aircraft that are made in the US?

I don't really follow the different types of aircraft that are out there. Can anyone help me with the answer if there are any RJ's made by Boeing or any other US company?

It seems that with the federal loan guarantees and all the talk about what USAir wants from PA taxpayers, that a provision should be made to at least keep US aircraft manufacturers afloat.

Thanks
Old May 12, 2003, 6:51 pm
Suspended

I think the smallest commercial jet made in the U.S. is the Boeing 717. Smaller than that and all of them are non-U.S. (ATR, deHavilland+Canadair(Bombardier), Embraer). Fairchild Dornier is part American but the Dornier designs used to be made in Germany. Their future is in serious doubt as production as stopped.
Old May 12, 2003, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by HomeToPit:
I was just curious...

All the talk of USAir placing huge orders for 4.3 billion dollars worth of RJ's got me thinking if there are any equivalent aircraft that are made in the US?

I don't really follow the different types of aircraft that are out there. Can anyone help me with the answer if there are any RJ's made by Boeing or any other US company?

It seems that with the federal loan guarantees and all the talk about what USAir wants from PA taxpayers, that a provision should be made to at least keep US aircraft manufacturers afloat.

Thanks
</font>
Even though many frequent flyers deride the "jungle jets" and "tundra jets," those planes actually include an awful lot of US components - it's just that final assembly occurs in Brazil and Canada.

You might be surprised to learn just how much Boeing contracts out subassembly production to various manufacturers all over the world.

Besides - Boeing has the sweetheart deal for 100 767 tankers for the US military to help tide it over thru this rough patch.
Old May 12, 2003, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Rummy is holding out on Boeing for the 767's. However, as he does so, the end of the 767 gets closer. If he orders too late, production may overlap the 7E7.
Old May 12, 2003, 10:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by biggs:
Well, on the few real plane trips, I got Finlandia but no limes the last 4 times. Also getting tired of being on an RJ to STL but I am getting the segments. Was on AA MRTC last night on a packed flight and going back out in a few weeks with an upgrade request on what looks like a sold out flight. If AA is packed on a MD80, why can US only fill a RJ though CLT? I choose based upon scheduling but a FC RJ would be very nice.</font>
How is the service to STL? When I heard they were going all Express there I switched to AA for that trip. I was wondering what it is like on US in STL now.
Old May 13, 2003, 7:23 am

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Beckles:
Ugh ... were they green Heinekens at least?</font>
I don't know, I settled for a Diet Coke after I overheard the FA warning the passenger in the row in front of me.

Old May 13, 2003, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by HPTunco:
If they'd just widen the seats a few inches so that I don't have to lean sideways when another man sits next to me I'd be perfectly happy.</font>
Well, the 170's have 18.5" seat width, which is 777-level and a good 1.5" over most RJ seats. So you should be "rubbing shoulders" a lot less on these planes.

I guess First will be 1+2 at 20.5" or so? Based on the pictures, it sure looks wider than the 19" F seats found on domestic 767s.
Old May 13, 2003, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Arrzee:
Nah... Express will still be around. Mainline will simply become United.</font>
Maybe US Air will become the fabled "Starfish" brand UA was planning? *grin*

In seriousness, if US Air takes all the options, I could imagine RJs flying all domestic non-transcon routes, with the A330s doing international and the A321s handling transcon loads.
Old May 14, 2003, 4:51 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GadgetFreak:

How is the service to STL? When I heard they were going all Express there I switched to AA for that trip. I was wondering what it is like on US in STL now.
</font>
The standard RJ service. I get the A side and read my accumulated magazine collection. The planes are near full and it appears some of the pax are flying the RJ for the first time based upon my conversation with them. I explained it used to be a larger plane but was scaled back a few months ago. Surprised to see some returning cruise pax going home to STL but figured that the cruise line must have bought the tickets becuase it was the last flight to STL that day.

The CLT Express terminal seems busy and on the other end, the STL appears to fill up the RJs going east. It is a long walk at arriving at B in CLT to the Express terminal but I need the excercise .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.