Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USAIR Introduces E-Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2002, 7:12 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gardener:
Beckles, do you really think CP's can't cash in on this? </font>
The problem as I see it is CP's don't have a counter, so there's nothing to add them to ...
Old Nov 7, 2002, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gardener:
Wowee, so if I mail in the 60 NAU's I've been hoarding, I'll get 240 E upgrades which will convert back to 120,000 miles.
</font>
Are they unexpired or expired? I've got a boatload from back when CP upgrades were unlimited, but they still sent the certs, but no one bothered to collect them because it was unlimited, etc.... but that's from years back. I got my hopes up, but found they specifically referred to exchanging unexpired paper upgrades.

Anything I can do with dozens of expired NAUs?

Old Nov 7, 2002, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
From the table provided, it looks like non-elites can never upgrade a non-full fare ticket ("Not Permitted"). Has this always been the case?
Old Nov 7, 2002, 7:54 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CPRich:
From the table provided, it looks like non-elites can never upgrade a non-full fare ticket ("Not Permitted"). Has this always been the case?</font>
Non-elites can't upgrade with (current) 800-mile upgrades unless they are on a full fare. If on a full fare, they can upgrade using those certificates just like a preferred member (but they're more expensive for them than they are for preferred members). Of course, with GoFirst, full fares in many markets can sit in First Class for the price of a full coach fare without any certs whatsoever.

Of course, nonelites can still upgrade from any fare (excluding priceline et al) using Dividend Miles (US20 Award) or as a companion of a preferred member.

I hope we can find an answer to the question of what happens to newly minted CP's still sitting on a lot of 800 milers. I know that there is no way I'll make CP next year just getting out the standard amount, so I'd like to go ahead and pad my eupgr account.
Old Nov 7, 2002, 8:37 pm

Wowee, so if I mail in the 60 NAU's I've been hoarding, I'll get 240 E upgrades which will convert back to 120,000 miles.

Beckles, do you really think CP's can't cash in on this? After all, my last set of NAU's doesn't expire until 9/30/03 - theoretically I might want to exchange them in Sep 03 if I didn't think I would make CP again after my status runs out Feb 04 so I would have e-upgrades as a Gold.

If BWI2MCO97 or ChairPrefRes are listening in, please let us know if the 4:1 offer applies to all DM members or just silvers and golds!
</font>
It looks like you only have until the end of January to exchange them.
Old Nov 7, 2002, 8:40 pm

A few more thoughts on this.

GP and SP can now use a kiosk to check in if using E-Upgrades. They can't with a paper upgade.

10,000 miles can be converted into 6 e-upgrades. This means you can use miles for a one-way upgrade. You still have to wait for your window to open.

The minimum of one e-upgrade per segment is going to hurt a lot of people. Who's going to blow an upgrade on a 90 mile flight?

With the generous initial conversion ratio, upgades will be tight in Q1 2003. Then people are going to cautious about how/when to use their upgrades.

I think this is a good step. All upgrades will be collected, checkin should be faster, we wanted an electronic system and this sets the base for UA upgrades.

As people have pointed out, we need to know next year's earnings rules to fully understand the effects of this.

I think we are going to see a lot more changes for 2003. What about systemwides next year? I hope we still get them.

[This message has been edited by mileshound (edited 11-07-2002).]
Old Nov 7, 2002, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
The exchange promotion is very generous, but once all those E-Upgrades are used up, the upgrade program will mirror AA's. And if I'm going to have to fly 10k miles for 4 E-Upgrades or buy them at $40 each, then I might as well fly AA because their first class is a higher quality product and upgrades actually clear when the 3 day window opens.
Old Nov 7, 2002, 10:09 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by johnep1:
It looks like you only have until the end of January to exchange them.</font>
Well, you have until 1/31/03 to exchange 1 paper for 4 E-Upgrades. After that, the rate is 1 paper for 2 E-Upgrades. I guess they really want to get rid of as many paper upgrades as possible by then, eh?

[This message has been edited by davohuang (edited 11-07-2002).]
Old Nov 7, 2002, 10:25 pm

Programs: United Gold
Why do J/C fares show up as upgradeable with e-upgrades? Are these domestic legs? I thought that non-Envoy segments got connected with non-Envoy fares (eg J combined with Y)..
Old Nov 7, 2002, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Ah, the signals, the signals...

This is a big step towards integrating the United and US Airways program. United switched over to the e-upgrade program two years ago, and like US' new system, our elites clear at the 24,72,100 window (although, I think I heard that Premiers now clear at the 48 hour window). Of course, we use 500-milers as well.

Welcome! Soon, watch those upgrades on UA become available.
Old Nov 8, 2002, 4:42 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JohnnyP:
Ah, the signals, the signals...

This is a big step towards integrating the United and US Airways program. United switched over to the e-upgrade program two years ago, and like US' new system, our elites clear at the 24,72,100 window (although, I think I heard that Premiers now clear at the 48 hour window). Of course, we use 500-milers as well.

Welcome! Soon, watch those upgrades on UA become available.
</font>

Nice assumption, but wrong.

US' program is not like UA's now ... it's like AA's, you know why? Because AA uses Sabre, and instead of paying EDS to modify AA's E-Upgrade programs, they just take AA's E-Upgrade program and are using that because it is less expensive.

Note that rules specifically say the new E-Upgrades will not be valid on codeshare flights ... that's pretty important since there's no codeshare flights they could be used on now ... what could they be referring to you suppose? I'll tell you ... UA codeshares ...
Old Nov 8, 2002, 6:02 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
At first this looked great, trade in my US upgrades at a 1:4 ratio, my flights on US are almost exclusively EWR-CLT (where most likely I'll still only get charged 1 500 mi)--but then I thought, gee I was so excited about the UA codeshare on flights, but this specifically says not good on codeshares, so yes I can use them on my once or twice a month trips to CLT (where FC is not really any big deal), I won't get to use them on UA where I could possibly take advantage of upgrades on transcons out of NYC area. So I may hold on to them with the thought that the US paper certs will be usable on UA????
Old Nov 8, 2002, 6:06 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
Another thing to point out is on UA's, the E-Upgrade requirement is calculated from origin to destination (includes connections).
Old Nov 8, 2002, 6:51 am

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
Let's think about this for a sec... Imagine the poor guy who's been Chairman's for like 20 years and this year, only flies 75K miles (and doesn't know to Get Out More). Now he's faced with 500-mile upgrades instead of 800-mile upgrades and has NO PAPER UPGRADES to exchange. Nice, eh?

Glad I'm still Chairman's--though it may not matter next year
Old Nov 8, 2002, 7:03 am

Programs: Skymiles Silver, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Of course with all the routes I travel the most are moving to DASH8 and RJ service they can give me 100 for each one I have and I'll still never get a chance to use them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.