Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Backs Off!!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2002, 10:00 am

Congrats on getting so many questions in. I assume the FTers had more meat rather than fluff in the questions.

I will await the form letter apology from Baldanza. I need to go to BOS soon and could take the AA Eagle or obviously US. Right now I am still leaning towards using AA and will see if they respond to my comp request. I think I may split my travel between the two next year.
Old Sep 6, 2002, 10:01 am

Programs: Skymiles Silver, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Correct...but under the old rules, if you wanted another off peek shuttle (7:00 or 9:00) that would be fine.

Under the new rules, that would be $100 please.

And I've seen cases where a later shuttle arrives earlier than the previous shuttle. Can I get my $100 back if that happens?
Old Sep 6, 2002, 10:04 am

I am relieved that I may get another shot at the Price of Pain title next year, but I am confused about one thing. Did he imply that the new/present policy will be in force until 1/1/03 and that we will not be able to pay the $100 standby fee until then? I may have read it wrong, but that doesn't make sense.

[This message has been edited by Brattflyer (edited 09-06-2002).]
Old Sep 6, 2002, 10:05 am
Suspended

Location: Promoted to Chairman of the Most Wonderful Continental Airlines Highly Valuable OnePass Program Security and Ideological Purity Bureau
This battle was won, but the war is not over. US Airways, more than any other U.S. airline, relies on higher-fare business traffic to pay the bills. Therefore, US MUST find ways to generate additional revenue from low-fare traffic, or at least discourage the high-fare people from using lower fares. IMHO, US will likely restrict the use of NAMUs/Chairman UGs to the higher fare classes only for the next Elite year...
Old Sep 6, 2002, 10:05 am

Beckles,
Actually, it's like 1590! Anyway, I just talked to a preferred rep and she said I must use 3 since they count all miles, including connnections. Where did you hear otherwise?
Old Sep 6, 2002, 10:08 am

Programs: CO Infinite Plat, UA Lifetime 1K, AA EXP, US(ex-CP), VX, DL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JetTroop:
That's why you write letters, make phone calls, protest where you can. They changed. For whatever reason, they changed. Personally, I like US Airways. I like my benefits and didn't want to have to find another carrier as I'm sure many, many other FF's didn't either.</font>
I think many of us already had other carriers, even before US Air announced its changes. Even now after "backing off", I will be spending most of my money on a different airline. The fact is, US doesn't care for the my frequent traveler business. The only way they could make it better would be a symbolic dismissal of someone for this marketing fiasco during a bankruptcy.
Old Sep 6, 2002, 10:12 am
Original Poster

I just resubscribed to Esavers.
Old Sep 6, 2002, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by infiniteflyer:
I think many of us already had other carriers, even before US Air announced its changes. Even now after "backing off", I will be spending most of my money on a different airline. The fact is, US doesn't care for the my frequent traveler business. The only way they could make it better would be a symbolic dismissal of someone for this marketing fiasco during a bankruptcy.</font>

Old Sep 6, 2002, 10:13 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nawlinsdoc:
Beckles,
Actually, it's like 1590! Anyway, I just talked to a preferred rep and she said I must use 3 since they count all miles, including connnections. Where did you hear otherwise?
</font>

Beckles is right. It's mileage from departure point to destination. If it's a single itinerary from PHL-PIT connecting in LAX, it should be one certificate!
Old Sep 6, 2002, 10:17 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by syzygy8:

Beckles is right. It's mileage from departure point to destination. If it's a single itinerary from PHL-PIT connecting in LAX, it should be one certificate!
</font>
I flew MHT-PHL-PIT-ORD FC using only one certificate. The agent did really care, he was really old, but I think it is origin to destination..not including connections.
Old Sep 6, 2002, 10:18 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by syzygy8:

</font>
Oooh, book me that! The best I've been able to find for PHL-PIT is via ATL (comes up all the time as a 'cheaper alternative' in the US booking engine).
Old Sep 6, 2002, 10:21 am

</font>
So, should I make my "argument" on the phone to res or should I fight at the gate?
Old Sep 6, 2002, 10:24 am
Original Member

Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA**US Airways Gold, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by freqflyer2001:
Is it just me, or did he just state that USAirways is joining Star Alliance after the United plan goes through? Exciting day!</font>
He said they hope to. That was also in the original plan. In his view, UA alone gives a worldwide network, which is true for suitably small values of "a" .
Old Sep 6, 2002, 10:25 am

Programs: DM,A+,UAMP,PriorityClub,WNRR
Regarding the use it or lose it policy......I am sensing some possible confusion out there. Voluntary changes must occur prior to the ticketed flight whether it's the departure or return flight. My example has been that if you fly PHL-ORD on 9/12 and you are booked to return on 9/13 at 1pm, but your meeting runs late, you must call reservations to make a change to anew return ( maybe 6pm) prior to the 1pm flight. probably just $100 change fee if on a nonrefundable fare.
Most of the posts seem to think changes must be made before departing flights only as in my example above meaning before the flight on 9/12. That is incorrect.
I will also check into the MSY-SAN upgrade question above as well .
I am happy for everyone regarding the tier status thing as well....please stay with US !
Old Sep 6, 2002, 10:27 am
Original Member

Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA**US Airways Gold, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gnaget:
Thus, the response by the other big carriers probably had more impact than any protests.</font>
That doesn't mean the protests were useless--that may very well have been what dissuaded the other majors from matching.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.