Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can't downgrade a miles-upgraded flight!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2002, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Can't downgrade a miles-upgraded flight!

Some reservation agent upgraded me last week on a 20k r/t trip upgrade award. The outbound 1st leg isn't available (the agent I spoke to this morning suspects it's due to cruise pax).

Anyway, I asked to be downgraded (take my chances with upgrade certificates) and found that that because my original fare inventory is unavailable, I can't.
Old Jul 8, 2002, 1:05 pm

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
If I can't get all the segments upgraded at time of resevation, I do not use US20's. I would hope that I could upgrade when my window opens and use my NAU's.

Did the Agent confirm upgrades for all the segments at time of your first call, or did you gamble and lose (so far)?

The worst part is that you lose the whole 20,000 miles even if you only get upgraded for a portion of your trip.

Old Jul 8, 2002, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I called to upgrade the return trip and thought . I didn't realise you couldn't upgrade oneway on cheap tickets (assumed domestic was like international). Anyway, sme of the reservation agents seem to be in a hurry to book/sell tickets so they don't spend too much if any time with upgraders.

Anyway, we'll try to standby for the early morning flight which is pretty open currently.

[This message has been edited by terenz (edited 07-08-2002).]
Old Jul 9, 2002, 5:01 am

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
terenz,

Did they take the points directly out of your account or are you using an actual US20 award certificate.

If you have an actual certificate, I would try just giving them the NAU's on check-in and would be prepared to for the best 2 falls out of 3.

Alternatively, you might call Customer Service at 336-661-0061 and see if they can help you.
Old Jul 9, 2002, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Good news. An agent put me on the waitlist yesterday afternoon and I confirmed this on virtuallythere.com. Checked again this morning and we've cleared!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.