Wiki Posts
Search

Security Line Reports

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2001, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Bringing this forward:

SEA Wednesday 2130-ish, Monday 2030 Virtually no line at all.

FLL Thursday 1400 - about 30-40 in line. Probably would take 15 mins. max. Monday 1200 30 in line, shrank to 10-15 in line by 1240. Security is quite thorough but efficient.

FLL may be crowded earlier in the morning as cruise pax try to get away.
Old Dec 18, 2001, 7:57 am
geo1004

Any recent reports on connecting to an intl. flight in PHL. I have about an hour to change planes in PHL and am worried that heading thru security again at the A terminal will be a pain????

Any recent thoughts or experiences?

I'm heading out on the Rome flight at 6:05 pm after arriving from DCA in PHL at 5 pm....

Old Dec 18, 2001, 9:14 am

Programs: A shadow of my former self
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by geo1004:
Any recent reports on connecting to an intl. flight in PHL. I have about an hour to change planes in PHL and am worried that heading thru security again at the A terminal will be a pain????</font>
It is not necessary to go through security again in PHL. You can simply walk to the A concourse and board your flight (or relax in the Envoy lounge). I do this all the time on long PHL layovers, just to see the planes.

David
Old Dec 18, 2001, 11:18 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
I went to Rome a couple of weeks ago. Connecting from a domestic to intl is not a big problem. No need to reenter security. The other direction (intl to domestic) takes much more time. (clearing immgration,customs, then rechecking checked luggage upstairs & then reentering security). Hope you have almost 2 hours on the return--may take from 1 hour (optimistic--having only carryons & getting lucky) to 2 hours. It took me 1.5 hours to get to the domestic gate. I had a 3.5 hour layover but I was in Envoy so I had use of the club.
Old Dec 18, 2001, 1:03 pm
geo1004

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chemist661:
The other direction (intl to domestic) takes much more time. (clearing immgration,customs, then rechecking checked luggage upstairs & then reentering security). </font>

Ahhhh. It's all coming back to me now...

Thanks for all the above comments.

Old Feb 13, 2002, 6:10 am

Programs: AA Platinum
i was bumping this topic to the top, as I am curious what Philly has been like on international flights in the evenings. Anyone have any recent experience?
Old Feb 13, 2002, 6:37 am

I flew PHL-LGW last month. The line was not bad at all at 6:00pm. After checking in it was maybe 2 minutes to get through the security line.
Old Feb 13, 2002, 3:39 pm

Programs: DM,A+,UAMP,PriorityClub,WNRR
Can someone confirm this....I had a customer tell me today that at PHL (I think) there is a seperate line if you just need to pick up an itinerary card for security. Has anyone seen this at PHL or any other US airport?
Old Feb 18, 2002, 8:35 am

Anybody notice that the security lines are getting longer at DCA or was it that I have hit it at the wrong times (Friday afternoons around 3PM). Any info on lines on other days? BTW, the security line at RDU at Terminal C (AA & JI) backed up last Friday at 5PM all the way to the check in counters.
Old Feb 19, 2002, 9:10 pm

Flew from BOS this morning - my first time since the Fed took over the security. The checkpoint lines at Terminal B were much longer than before, specially the shuttle line. Spent 30 minutes in the line - used to get through the shuttle line in 5 minutes.

Old Feb 26, 2002, 9:45 am

Programs: United Gold
Just wanted to add a note about PHX. Like a restaurant reviewer does, I have been there a few times and was withholding judgment until I saw it at a few different times, etc.

Generally, the security line there is a crap shoot. There are 4 terminals at PHX, in the DFW style (ie completely separate, takes forever to get between them). There are only about 15 gates in Terminal 2 (which US uses along with UA, AC, and AS). But generally there are only 2 'screening' stations operating - although 3 or 4 are there. there is also a big 'snake line' right before the screening stations (ie something you would see waiting for a roller coaster) that takes about 15-20 minutes to get through. I have had total waits of 15, 30, and 60 minutes there over the past 2 months.

The latest was yesterday am (I know, a Monday morning). The line was an hour long. The only thing that kept it moving was the agents announcing upcoming flights and pulling people out of line to get them. Ironically, these people just get put in a 'side' line that avoids the snake line but is otherwise still pretty long. It doesnt move much faster. We were just entering the snake line (after waiting 35 minutes) when our US flight was called by the agents to pull people out of line. We made it through security before any of the people in the side line did.

Btw - the US check in agent noted to me that this was a 'fairly normal' line for this time of day - any day of the week. So it wasnt just a Monday effect. Not surprising - what business travelers leave PHX on a Monday morning and miss the whole day on East coast?

Anyway, like I said its a crap shoot as to how long it will be. But dont worry, they pull people out of line. So based on that, you can get there 45 minutes before your flight and you'll be fine.
Old Mar 28, 2002, 6:30 am

Bumping to the top..I am curious what the security lines at PHL are like recently? With the preferred line, can I pretty much go right in?
Old Mar 28, 2002, 7:32 am

Programs: UA 1K; AA Plat; B6 Mosaic; SPG Plat
I've found that PHL is quick (&lt;10 minutes) since they added the preferred line. If you're not preferred, though, prepare to wait for quite a bit longer.
Old Mar 28, 2002, 1:06 pm

Yesterday.

Preferred line: no wait
Regular line: stretched back towards baggage claim and SEPTA escalator (perhaps 40-60 minutes)
Old Mar 28, 2002, 1:19 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BizJet:
Yesterday.

Preferred line: no wait
Regular line: stretched back towards baggage claim and SEPTA escalator (perhaps 40-60 minutes)
</font>
Thanks everyone! I will have my own report in about an hour. it's nice that the PHL to BOS is back to hourly and I can just fly when I get there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.