Wiki Posts
Search

PHL airport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2002, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Delta silver, Marriott Ambassador Hilton gold
PHL airport

I went over the FT airport board but I am not sure anyone ever goes over there. Since a lot of US folks spend too much time at PHL I thought I would put my question here. I have a LONG 5 hour lay over in PHL sunday for a flight to CDG, the envoy lounge can get me through an an hour or so. Are there any cool things to do at the airport for that period of time.

Thanks for any info!
Old Mar 11, 2002, 6:44 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Dia, Marriott S
Why not take the train into Center City? Takes about 20 minutes and the trains run every half-hour or so. Should give you an hour or two downtown.
Old Mar 11, 2002, 6:58 am

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nehopper:
Why not take the train into Center City? Takes about 20 minutes and the trains run every half-hour or so. Should give you an hour or two downtown.</font>
But then you have the pleasure of going BACK through the security lines when you return to the airport! There is a mini-mall between concourses B & C which should be good for maybe another 30 minutes or so.
Old Mar 11, 2002, 8:31 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
If I know PHL, your 'long' layover will end up being just enough to make your connection..
Old Mar 11, 2002, 10:11 am

I agree, the airport train is a quick run into the city and there is plenty to do once you are there. Don't worry about the security lines at PHL. They have improved alot and at the WORST (9 AM, Monday Morning), they are no more then 30/40 minutes.

In the city, get off at either Suburban Station or Market East stops.

Suburban Station is right downtown, 16th and JFK, I believe. You can check out City Hall, get some good food and shoppping. Walk southbound for the nicer stores, Chestnut Street and Walnut Street have nice stores, with Walnut being the nicer/upscale of the two.

Market East is about 6 blocks further East in the city, 10th and Market, I believe. This is the more "touristy" areas, with the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, the Philly Mint, Reading Terminal Market, Hard Rock Cafe, etc.. in the area. Liberty Bell and Indy Hall are at 3rd and Market, so there will be a walk or take a cab. Also more east are some nice art gallaries and the nicest bars/restaurents in the city. This area is called Olde City.

But, within the immediate confines of the Market East station is some neat stuff. The Reading Terminal Market is a great place for eating, people watching and just wasting time. It is right next store to the station Hard Rock Cafe? - well, its a Hard Rock. Market East station is also directly connected to the Gallery Mall, which is an underground mall for about 6 or so blocks.

Email me if you would like more details. I'm a Philly native and no all the goods and bads of the City!

This will help:
http://www.centercityphila.org
Old Mar 11, 2002, 10:45 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Depending on what time you actually step foot off the train in Center City, there may or may not be a lot going on late afternoon on a Sunday. But definitely get off at Market East - there's not much going on around Suburban Station anytime on a Sunday.

If you get off at Market East, go outside and grab a cab down to 5th and Market. That's where the bell is, and Independence Hall. You can also then walk down to 2nd and Market to Old City where there's shops and restaurants. I'd say walk, because it isn't THAT far, but to get your bearings when you get off the train may make it difficult to know which way to walk.

The trains return to the airport every 30 minutes. I think from Market East, that's at :25 and :55 after the hour, but check the schedule when you get back.

When you return to the airport, get off at the A terminal since you'll already be checked in with ticket and boarding pass in hand. You can walk right down to the A checkpoint to the Envoy lounge.
Old Mar 11, 2002, 10:59 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PHL:
When you return to the airport, get off at the A terminal since you'll already be checked in with ticket and boarding pass in hand. You can walk right down to the A checkpoint to the Envoy lounge.</font>
If the security line at A is long, you can use the Preferred/First/Envoy line at C...
Old Mar 11, 2002, 4:19 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

One of our favorite pastimes in PHL is just to look for the US Airways "Signature Philly Service", and see how many passengers get rudely treated, how many gum-chewing bad attitudes stand at the ready, how many baggage handlers can delay a flight....all the things that make the PHL experience such a treat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.