Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Preferred Package Arrived Today

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2002, 3:21 pm

Programs: United Gold
I read the 1000 comment to mean 'total comps = 1000'. Breaking it down, a fair number of those are probably the 'CP for several years all who have had free club memberships for 4 years'. once that number is satisfied (out of the 1000), they can set the thresholds (eg 130k last year) to get the number remaining to reach 1000 total.
Old Feb 21, 2002, 6:04 pm

I received Comp to Gold last year on US, then came up short on miles to even qualify for silver. Only trip after 9/11 was to Russia to pick up my adopted child.

Anyway, I received a Silver packet today in the mail (to my surprise), with Systemwides and everything in the packet. I wonder if it mattered that I've already flown more on US this year than last.
Old Feb 21, 2002, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Received my gold package today. 2 of the new DMUPSYS2's, 2 NAU's, and a club pass to give someone else (i am a club member). If the person receiving the pass joins, they get 2500 bonus miles and i get 5000.
Old Feb 21, 2002, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ToddETurner:
I received Comp to Gold last year on US, then came up short on miles to even qualify for silver. Only trip after 9/11 was to Russia to pick up my adopted child.

Anyway, I received a Silver packet today in the mail (to my surprise), with Systemwides and everything in the packet. I wonder if it mattered that I've already flown more on US this year than last.
</font>

You are only dropped down one elite level no matter how much you fly and even if you are originally comped the status. I think most airlines do this...I was once comped Gold on Delta. I ended up flying 4 flights with them that year and I ended up getting a Silver Medallion package the next year.

[This message has been edited by uschpr (edited 02-21-2002).]
Old Feb 21, 2002, 8:24 pm

Glad to hear the US is doing that. My problem the past few years of travel is that I seem to be concentrating on a different airline every year.

Last year, with alot of CA travel and incredible CMH fares, I was on United. Have only flown US thus far this year, so the Silver Status will be nice. Have plenty of Membership Reward Points (250,000+) to transfer to US if I'm going to Europe.. I like the mileage upgrade possiblity on Q fares, and would probably NEVER get the SWU to Europe as a Silver.
Old Feb 21, 2002, 8:51 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ToddETurner:
I like the mileage upgrade possiblity on Q fares, and would probably NEVER get the SWU to Europe as a Silver.</font>
Actually, you can upgrade all the way down to K fares (does US even use Q for standard published fares?). Only V fares are not upgradeable!
Old Feb 25, 2002, 2:28 am

Programs: AA concierge key; marriott premier platinum; United GS; hilton diamond
Not to confuse the situation on comp club memberships anymore but I have a strange situation. I was CP starting in 1999 through 2001. I was transfered to Paris and 95% of my travel is now (regretably) on Air France. In 2001 I took a total of one flight on US airways (Dec 22). I got my gold package in the mail with systemwide upgrades and then a week later a letter from them stating that due to "exceptional amount of business you have given US Airways in 2001 we are pleased to extend your membership to the US Airways club through Feb 28, 2003"

Is one flight exceptional level of business?
Old Feb 25, 2002, 4:46 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
There really doesn't seem to be any formula for the free Club membership. It seems that if you have a freebie, and you maintain US1 status, you keep getting it. As for the number of CP's, it has just kept growing, especially since segment qualification came into play. You really only need 2 round trips a month, with a connection in each direction, to make it. While this has made the tier less exclusive (which is what the company wants), the real issue is "compression". With more seats going to US1's, Gold members are finding it much more difficult. The seats are gone before the 3 day window ever opens. This opens another subject, which I have addressed in different thread, which is what I call "upgrade fraud". I believe the shortage of seats for lower tiers is causing some members to fool with the system, which in turn, will cause the company to make changes we may not appreciate.
Old Feb 25, 2002, 5:26 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by deelmakur:
While this has made the tier less exclusive (which is what the company wants), the real issue is "compression". With more seats going to US1's, Gold members are finding it much more difficult. The seats are gone before the 3 day window ever opens. This opens another subject, which I have addressed in different thread, which is what I call "upgrade fraud". I believe the shortage of seats for lower tiers is causing some members to fool with the system, which in turn, will cause the company to make changes we may not appreciate.</font>
I agree that people are fooling with the system, but considering I have never flown in coach on an upgradeable fare as a Gold in over a year (the time I've been flying US, since November 2000), I'm not sure I agree that it's some sort of *huge* problem.

Old Feb 25, 2002, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
As a CO Platinum flyer, who due to corporate policy now has to fly US more (not to mention location of HQ), I had been comped to Gold last year, and received the usual SWU & NAU. I didn't do lots of US flights, so I honestly didn't expect anything in the mail this year. But what to my surprise was a 'Silver' card & 2 SWU & 2 NAU + a Club Pass--even though I'd signed up for a years membership in December. This will definately make me rethink my CO vs US flights. On CO, if you don't requalify for an elite level, you are dropped entirely
Old Feb 25, 2002, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seeing as it seems that I rarely, if ever, in SEA I was happy to get my unassuming Gold Package when I got home this weekend.

A "friend" who qualified for Silver b/c of the reduced mileage qualifications also received her's last week, and it was filled with all the usual goodies, including the SWU.
Old Feb 25, 2002, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mauld:
I honestly didn't expect anything in the mail this year. But what to my surprise was a 'Silver' card & 2 SWU & 2 NAU...</font>
After the chat w/ the US guy Mike, I asked him about not requlaifying and he mentioned that US will only drop you down one level! Good news for those who have an "off" travel year!
Old Feb 25, 2002, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Is that true if you make a level by challenge? I flew enough for regular silver, but was Gold due to the challenge. If I fly under 25k, will I drop to silver since I am gold right now?

Chris

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.