Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways Dividend Miles (Pre-2005 America West merger)
Reload this Page >

US Airways Announces Fall/Winter Systemwide Discounts, Fares Now as Low as $92 RT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways Announces Fall/Winter Systemwide Discounts, Fares Now as Low as $92 RT

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2001, 8:48 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

US Airways Announces Fall/Winter Systemwide Discounts, Fares Now as Low as $92 Roundtrip

Customers traveling on the US Airways system this fall and winter will find attractive new bargains with fares now as low as $92 roundtrip in some markets.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/011025/dcth020_1.html
Old Oct 25, 2001, 10:53 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Let's see, hop on a plane for a weekend in Frankfurt from Pittsburgh -- 8000 real miles flown roundtrip:

8000 status miles
8000 double status miles
8000 Gold or Chairman's Preferred bonus mules
1000 bonus miles for booking online
====
25000 miles -- a free US coach ticket -- for $300 or so, including taxes.. I'm sure you could probably get credit for some other bonuses too -- I wouldn't be surprised if someone couldn't easily get 30k+ if they tag on a connection for maybe $20 more.

Oh how I wish I could go to Frankfurt, except I'm heading in the opposite direction (Hawaii). I guess it ain't all bad.
Old Oct 25, 2001, 12:16 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
The problem is you can't use these fares "for a weekend" unless you take a couple of extra days off. Transatlantic requires Monday through Thursday travel, so you'd leave on Thursday, have to take Friday off and come back on Monday, taking that day off also.
Old Oct 25, 2001, 12:27 pm

Or you get the weekend flu

Old Oct 25, 2001, 12:47 pm
geo1004

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pitflyer:
Let's see, hop on a plane for a weekend </font>

I ALWAYS take long weekends.

Old Oct 26, 2001, 7:47 am
ahc

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pitflyer:
Let's see, hop on a plane for a weekend in Frankfurt from Pittsburgh -- 8000 real miles flown roundtrip:

8000 status miles
8000 double status miles
8000 Gold or Chairman's Preferred bonus mules
1000 bonus miles for booking online
====
25000 miles -- a free US coach ticket -- for $300 or so, including taxes..
</font>
Double status miles? In addition to GP/CP double miles? How do you get those?
Old Oct 26, 2001, 8:32 am

USAirways promotion till Nov 15. Its on their homepage.

I just realized I said bonus mules in my previous post. Wow. I don't think anyone wants 8000 bonus mules

[This message has been edited by pitflyer (edited 10-26-2001).]
Old Oct 26, 2001, 9:17 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Beckles:
The problem is you can't use these fares "for a weekend" unless you take a couple of extra days off. Transatlantic requires Monday through Thursday travel, so you'd leave on Thursday, have to take Friday off and come back on Monday, taking that day off also.</font>
This is why I like self-employment!!
Old Oct 31, 2001, 9:51 pm

The US Air home page specifically says that the double miles are not preferred miles.
Old Oct 31, 2001, 11:28 pm

Location: The First State, USA - Bonvoy Gold, Honors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Gold - FWIW
USAirways promotion till Nov 15. Its on their homepage.

I just realized I said bonus mules in my previous post. Wow. I don't think anyone wants 8000 bonus mules

[This message has been edited by pitflyer (edited 10-26-2001).]
</font>
Sorry pitflyer, but neither double mules nor miles will count for status. They're all being considered bonus miles.
Old Nov 1, 2001, 10:51 am

Confusing, I guess.. I guess it was bonus status miles till Oct 15, then bonus bonus miles till Nov 15, and now till Dec 15. Ok, whatever. All I know is that next year I might have higher status on American Airlines -- even though I never flew them -- than on USAirways -- even though I flew them every month. I guess all my business goes to American, then.
Old Nov 1, 2001, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All I know is that next year I might have higher status on American Airlines -- even though I never flew them -- than on USAirways -- even though I flew them every month. I guess all my business goes to American, then.</font>
Listen... I bet as a *lowly* Gold Preferred you will still get all the upgrades you want.

thoughts of pitflyer in coach ramble through the mind...
Old Nov 1, 2001, 11:16 am

Heheh... my thought is that I actually only qualified for Silver Preferred... So in theory USAirways could drop me to that level, in which case I would be of higher status with American (Platinum)...

Flying coach? That's impossible.. which is why I've 'upgraded' my car.. first class all the way, some way or the other
Old Nov 1, 2001, 5:53 pm

Programs: Presidential Airways High Value Target, Catfish Air Flare, Hootch Honors Gold
Query from a newbie:

I see people referencing upgrades in a way I find confusing. Bear with me, I'm approaching silver and will have it by the end of November. Hopefully move onto Gold next year.

other than coupon upgrades, using miles or buying a way overpriced ticket how do I get an upgrade? Do I simply show the card at check in?

How does this actually work? If people are getting upgraded at the rate they claim then either they are generating huge miles in some other way or there's some step I'm missing.

Enlighten me please.

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Old Nov 2, 2001, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Bouncer:
How does this actually work? If people are getting upgraded at the rate they claim then either they are generating huge miles in some other way or there's some step I'm missing.
</font>
First of all, there are a number of Chairmen's Preferred flyers here on FT, so their upgrades are gratis and confirmed a week or so out.

Regarding the rest of us, as a Gold or Preferred Flyer, you can call in 3 or 1 day before your flight to upgrade. If you have the appropriate number of North American Upgrades and there is a G Class set open, the FC seat is yours.

Now, how do we upgrade all the time?... well alot of us fly alot. BUt your flying pattern has alot to do with it as well. If you fly up and down the east coast you I would assume you'd burn your NAUs up alot sooner on quick and short segments.

For me as a Gold on the left coast, I have a plethora of these NAUs, most of which I'll be mailing in at the end of Feb for 500 miles. As a Gold, I earn 8 NAUs for each 10k flown. and then for every 20k, I get another two. Also, at the begining of the year, I get two SWUs.

Over time, my stockpile has built up. So here's a scenario. Say I earn Gold in November. I get the welcome kit including two SWUs. February comes around and I get two more SWUs. I book a trip to Europe and use two SWUs to upgrade. I fly 12k and earn 8 NAUs. I fly from SEA to PVD for Easter and use 6 NAUs (bringing my mileage count to 17k and NAU total to 4). In the summer, I fly to Europe using a SWU bringing my total to 30k and now I'll get 18 NAUs in the mail.

So, If my flying picked up domestically on US, I would be set for 3.5 r/t's but, of course, during those trips I'd be earning more...

It's such a wonderful give and give scenario circle!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.