Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone gotten a double upgrade on an A-330?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2001, 8:43 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Anyone gotten a double upgrade on an A-330?

My upgrade to business cleared for my CLT-LGW flight tomorrow ... now I'm wondering if it is even remotely possible to volunteer a second Systemwide to the gate agent for a double upgrade ...
Old May 24, 2001, 8:45 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
I very very highly doubt it. They'll know immediately that you upgraded to business and I think the gate agent would get heavily penalized for letting you upgrade again to first. The way they protect first I'm expecting armed guards next time I'm on A-330
Old May 24, 2001, 8:49 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Don't bank on it - even if F is empty, or sparsely filled.
Old May 24, 2001, 9:05 am
Original Member

Programs: SW A List Preferred, Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I doubt it too.....but it never hurts to ask.
Old May 24, 2001, 3:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
I was told it is saved as a perk for full fare Envoy passengers to upgrade into. Employees can also use it, and my observation is they are a lot of what is riding up there. Why not. More power to them.
Old May 24, 2001, 3:16 pm

I got it once from CDG-PHL, due to a HUGE screw-up in seating assignments. I suspect if I had ever asked, though, I would've promptly been shot down, disregarding how many SWUs or miles I would have given up! I was on an $800 fare (RT), so it was a great deal for the occasion!
Old May 28, 2001, 6:38 am
LEB

I have an envoy ticket to CDG from using a premium award (160k miles...ouch). Can an SWU be used to upgrade that to First? I've always wanted to try the A330 first class section.
Old May 28, 2001, 7:33 am
Original Member

Programs: SW A List Preferred, Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
For 160,000 miles it's a shame you're not in first. But the official word is the same....you can't upgrade the award ticket from Envoy to First using a SWU.
Old May 28, 2001, 9:19 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Which is precisely why they have a 125,000 point award for FC. It's competitive with other intl. airline FC awards in a 3 class airplane, and we all know how people have raved about US FC on the A330.
Old May 28, 2001, 9:30 am
LEB

>Which is precisely why they have a 125,000 point award for FC.

250,000 for the premium FC award...no way I could swing that one. I'm feeling battered enough for giving up so many miles.

[This message has been edited by LEB (edited 05-28-2001).]
Old May 28, 2001, 9:44 am

are your dates not at all flexible enough to get a standard award (w/capacity controls). 80,000 for envoy and 125,000 for first.
Old May 28, 2001, 3:11 pm
LEB

Originally posted by BizJet:
are your dates not at all flexible enough to get a standard award (w/capacity controls). 80,000 for envoy and 125,000 for first.
I wish they were. The dates were picked by in-laws and communicated rather late in the game. When I called to book the award the US rep checked +/- 3 days and couldn't find any non-premium award dates.

Is it ever the case that more award seats open up near departure date?

Old May 28, 2001, 9:55 pm

This may seem like a silly question...but did you check to see if they have any non-premium First Class awards? The thought crossed my mind that if you were specifically looking for Envoy, perhaps non-premium First Class awards were never checked... Anyway, I guess it's worth mentioning, just in case...
Old May 29, 2001, 2:23 am

An employee told me they pay 120.00 for A330 first transatlantic each way. Wheras UA employees get upg for free when avail on UA. The employee I talked to said she would have to work 12 hours to pay for this as she was fairly new.
Old May 29, 2001, 6:22 am

Originally posted by usair321:
An employee told me they pay 120.00 for A330 first transatlantic each way. Wheras UA employees get upg for free when avail on UA. The employee I talked to said she would have to work 12 hours to pay for this as she was fairly new.
I believe that this is right, although I can't confirm the specific $$ amount. I think that they get passes for travel and can pay a surcharge for Envoy or First. I have nothing against employees in First Class as long as all paying customers have been "legally" accomodated (i.e., if you are on a valid fare and waitlisted, you should get the upgrade first, but on fares you know aren't allowed or if you have already been upgraded once to Envoy, since you know the policy). Personally, I think that if a FA is just doing 45-minute F100 hops, getting to see the flagship service of the company would instill pride in the employee more so than seeing the "flagship" First Class service aboard the Fokker!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.