Envoy entertainment mish-mosh on the 767

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2001, 12:08 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Envoy entertainment mish-mosh on the 767

For the second time in several months, I flew Envoy on the 767 in the first several days of the given month. BOTH times, the entertainment system was WHACKED. The programming is NOT what the overture guide says it is, and the FA's have no clue as to what the right programming is because the tapes only have coded letters and numbers. How hard would it be for US to put the title as well as their coded lingo on them?!

For example, on 3/1, my flight from PHL-MAN had all but 2 channels incorrectly playing what the guide said they would have.

At least my return was on the newly innaugurated A330 from MAN-PHL where guides are not needed. Good thing, because nobody seems to have a clue as to how to put the correct programming in the plane.
Old Mar 8, 2001, 4:26 pm

It seems as though if the programming was correct, but on the wrong channel, then it was the F/A's fault, as they put them into the machines maually, if it was the wrong programming from the previous monty, then it's the fault of dining and cabin services.
Old Mar 8, 2001, 7:32 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I would tend to agree with you. When I went up front to the bank of Hi-8mm decks to ask the FA to check, she verified the tapes were in their 'correct' decks. Many of the things showing weren't on the schedule anywhere, so I believe cabin and dining was lax in switching the tapes.
Old Mar 9, 2001, 6:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
I would ask for compensation...this is aprt of what you are paying for. I plan what I take to do on the flight (book, work), based on need and entertainment available.
Old Mar 9, 2001, 8:08 pm

On a recent flight from cdg-phl our Sony Passport system was not working and my wife and I each filled out a form given to us by the flight attendant. Today each of us received a $75 flight voucher to compensate us for the entertainment system not working. So I would email or write customer service and tell them what happened on your flight and see what happens.

Bill
In upstate NY
Old Mar 10, 2001, 7:11 pm

Programs: CoFounder and Chairman, FFOCUS (Frequent Flyers Organized and concerned about Unacceptable Service.
I just flew the A-330 round trip to and from MIA from PHL, and they didn't even turn the Passport system on-- I was in Envoy class and would have liked to have sampled it. It would be a good marketing move to activate the system on the domestic legs where the 330 is being used.

On a side note, has anyone noticed that due to the equipment box under each seat there is absolutely NO room for carry on under the seat in front? Delta's Business Elite is a similar layout but the equipment box allows for underseat storage.

Just my $.02

Regards

Art at ISP
Old Mar 11, 2001, 7:38 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I noticed the lack of space under the seat in front of you, but on the other hand notice a LOT of space above. Plus, the 5 feet between seats makes it hard to simply reach down for something in front of you anyway. I'm nearly 6 feet tall and my feet STILL can't extend to touch the seat in front of me!
Old Mar 12, 2001, 7:30 am
geo1004

I agree. I've seen more than enough space for storage on the A-330's. IMO, it's easier to get something out of the overhead bin than get out of the seat and go under the seat in front of you (which is 5 feet away...).

[This message has been edited by geo1004 (edited 03-12-2001).]

Old Mar 12, 2001, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On a related note about the US Entertainment system, one cannot view the March movies that are being shown.
http://www.usairways.com/travelguide.../movie_mar.htm
Old Mar 13, 2001, 7:51 am

Originally posted by chexfan:
On a related note about the US Entertainment system, one cannot view the March movies that are being shown.
http://www.usairways.com/travelguide.../movie_mar.htm
What I want to know is why the FA's still can't work the inflight entertainment system on the 767? US has had these planes for like 10 years or something. They fly them everyday. I was on flight 741, PIT-SFO last weekend and it took the FA's (3 of them) like 30 minutes to get the movie started. And then they only had two choices in Envoy. WHile the Inflight Entertainment Guide listed quite a large selection and does state that on NOrth American flights customers sitting in the First Class cabin (Envoy) will be able to enjoy the Envoy Entertainment system during flight.

Talk about false advertising.... They need either better training for the FA's or a clearer instruction guide taped to the interior of the door which covers the video player decks in the front of the plane.

Old Mar 13, 2001, 8:34 am
geo1004

Originally posted by US1@ORF:
What I want to know is why the FA's still can't work the inflight entertainment system on the 767?
The 767 has just come back to domestic service. Many/most of the cabin crews are 767 trained but perhaps not senior enough to pull international duty - hence their inexperience with the video equipment. So I agree. Better training would help. Do the international crews load the system as well or is this taken care of by the more extensive prep for an international flight?

...the Inflight Entertainment Guide listed quite a large selection and does state that on North American flights customers sitting in the First Class cabin (Envoy) will be able to enjoy the Envoy Entertainment system during flight.
Yes, but the website essentially says they offer the 'personal TV' and only lists a single eastbound and/or westbound movie in addition to the 'short subjects', not the full-multiple channel options you get on an international flight to or from Europe.
http://www.usairways.com/travelguide...ainment/tv.htm

[This message has been edited by geo1004 (edited 03-13-2001).]

Old Mar 13, 2001, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Could anyone tell me what movies will be playing going east and west in the second half of this month? Anything worth watching or is "book time"?
Old Mar 13, 2001, 1:51 pm

Programs: SQ Solitaire PPS AA nothing short of 1m miler US CP, HH Diamond,
Hey guys I think you are a little bit of on the domestic First class meaning Envoy class on the B 767 coast to coast.
They never advertised you will have the full International Envoy class entertainment selection. And keep in mind that the lucky few of us on the few SFO and LAX flights get a very superior product compared to the other planes. Much better seats , more recline, lumbar support, more legroom and on my december flight from SFO they even had the big blankets from the international Envoy class out . The ones who cover even people with a hight exceeding 4 feet meaning the better part of todays adult population and are thick enough to keep a sleeping human warm. And on top of that you have the individual screens!!!! To be quite frank I am sure there are few domestic carriers who can compete with that coast to coast.So sit back and be happy that you get roughly 80 % of the Envoy International luxury and for many of us doing that by just using upgrade certificated.

[This message has been edited by eurousair (edited 03-13-2001).]
Old Mar 13, 2001, 6:00 pm

Originally posted by eurousair:
Hey guys I think you are a little bit of on the domestic First class meaning Envoy class on the B 767 coast to coast.
They never advertised you will have the full International Envoy class entertainment selection. And keep in mind that the lucky few of us on the few SFO and LAX flights get a very superior product compared to the other planes. Much better seats , more recline, lumbar support, more legroom and on my december flight from SFO they even had the big blankets from the international Envoy class out . The ones who cover even people with a hight exceeding 4 feet meaning the better part of todays adult population and are thick enough to keep a sleeping human warm. And on top of that you have the individual screens!!!! To be quite frank I am sure there are few domestic carriers who can compete with that coast to coast.So sit back and be happy that you get roughly 80 % of the Envoy International luxury and for many of us doing that by just using upgrade certificated.

[This message has been edited by eurousair (edited 03-13-2001).]

euorusair - I didn't mean to give the impression that I was not happy, guess I just have come to expect more from my favorite airline since I fly them weekly. You make very valid points about the other great benefits of the 767 on a transcon versus the 757 or worse the A320/319.

I agree completely with the comment about the seat on the 767 Envoy cabin. It was extremely comfortable and I was able to enjoy some great rest on my trip to SFO two weeks ago from PIT. I have done that same trip on the 757 at least a hundred times in the past few years and you just can't sleep very well as the recline is minor in comparison.

Thanks for your perspective.

JFL
Old Mar 13, 2001, 6:05 pm

Originally posted by geo1004:
Yes, but the website essentially says they offer the 'personal TV' and only lists a single eastbound and/or westbound movie in addition to the 'short subjects', not the full-multiple channel options you get on an international flight to or from Europe.
http://www.usairways.com/travelguide...ainment/tv.htm

[This message has been edited by geo1004 (edited 03-13-2001).]

I thought the same thing about the crew being domestic and not experienced with the 767, however, that's not the case. One of the FA's on the flight working Envoy indicated to a nearby pax that he does many Eurpoe runs and as a matter of fact he had just completed the LGW-PIT leg of US741 and was continuing on the PIT-SFO leg. He was the one who had difficulty with the movie.

I also found it odd that he had just worked a 7+ hour flight and was going on to work our 5HR flight. I thought they could only work so many hours in a 24 hr period? Maybe the rules have changed. Other than the movie challenges, he provided excellent service and had a great attitude. Really interacted with the pax. It's obvious he does Europe runs mainly.

JFL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.