Search

Upgrades/Miles using bump comp ticket for self/companion

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2000, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Upgrades/Miles using bump comp ticket for self/companion

I am planning a trip SEA-FLL in November. Probably using a bump compensation ticket and booking a revenue ticket for myself (GP) and a friend (no status).

Issues.

1). What will it be like getting her upgraded on the freebie ticket vs. getting myself upgraded?

2). Miles. She'll get 5,000k first booking bonus for the trip, and some 6,200 in miles, I'll get 1k booking bonus + 12,200+ so that is a no-brainer of sorts but it is linked to 1).

3). Will be using a $75 voucher I got frm US. if booked through the usairways.com site and ticketed at a real counter, is there anything to do re: the web-booked itinerary being cancelled?
Old Sep 5, 2000, 8:14 am
geo1004

Originally posted by terenz:
Probably using a bump compensation ticket and booking a revenue ticket for myself (GP) and a friend (no status).

The bump compensation tickets are treated the same as coach ff award tickets. They earn no mileage credit and are not upgradable unless the person travelling on the ticket is an elite (at which point, regardless of status, you can upgrade only one hour prior to the flight using certificates you purchased - not the free ones they send you).

Also, you can't book "bump voucher" flights on the website - they come out of the same inventory as ff awards.

Old Sep 5, 2000, 9:38 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
terenz...be careful not to double book. USAirways.com is really Travelocity, and they use different locaters. Can be confusing, and I'm not sure if you can ticket elsewhere if you use them. November from SEA to Florida should be less busy (particularly with upgradable types), and you will find more space going Mon-Wed (US carries more traffic originating in the east)...likewise, end of week on the return. The airport agents at SEA are very nice. One, named Stan, is especially helpful. He is normally at the first class position.
Old Sep 5, 2000, 1:53 pm
US1

Preferred flyers can upgrade coach award tickets? I didn't know that. But I rarely use my miles for a domestic coach ticket (usually int'l or long-haul-domestic premium cabin, or upgrade to premium cabin) but this is still good to know.

You mention that only paid upgrade vouchers can be used, not the free ones sent every 10,000 miles. How do US1s fit into all of this, since we never have to buy upgrades? I'd gladly pay the $40/800 miles or whatever it is to get a cert these days.

Thanks for additional info.

US1
Old Sep 5, 2000, 3:03 pm

Location: The First State, USA - Bonvoy Gold, Honors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Gold - FWIW
Originally posted by deelmakur:
terenz...be careful not to double book. USAirways.com is really Travelocity, and they use different locaters. Can be confusing, and I'm not sure if you can ticket elsewhere if you use them. <snip>
In my experience, it is possible to hold a reservation via the website and have it ticketed at a CTO. However, it is likely that the folks at usairways.com will cancel the itinerary after the 24-hour hold, since, supposedly they don't know it's been ticketed. A call to their Cust. Service # (be prepared to wait on hold) to alert them you're getting the tickets issued elsewhere is advised.

I should know, it's happened to me three times already -had reservations cancelled after tickets issued; CTO agent had to reinstate them.

RZ
US Gold Preferred

Old Sep 5, 2000, 3:28 pm
geo1004

Originally posted by US1:
Preferred flyers can upgrade coach award tickets?

You mention that only paid upgrade vouchers can be used, not the free ones sent every 10,000 miles. How do US1s fit into all of this, since we never have to buy upgrades? I'd gladly pay the $40/800 miles or whatever it is to get a cert these days.

Yes, that is what you have to do - buy the certs in advance or pay the fee at the gate. One thing to keep in mind, you can only upgrade if there is space available one hour before flight time, regardless of status.

Old Sep 5, 2000, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Member
geo is right - the only way the 1 hour rule changes is if someone on your Preferred line upgrades you ahead of the 1 hour. I imagine they're cracking down on that.

And the upgrade packs are 4 for $120 (buy 3, get the 4th free - effectively $30 per upgrade).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.