Search

Upgrading to F on the A-330s

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2000, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Upgrading to F on the A-330s

I wonder if US would entertain a request to upgrade (even paying for one) to F on the A-330s if there are no paying pax? I kind of doubt if they'd do it if one is flying in Envoy upgraded with a SWU from an E-saver tix!

FWIW, I was once supposed to be upgraded from economy GRU-DFW on AA. They gave away my upgrade at GRU but the agents there did let me pay for an upgrade from J to P ($300 or so) which was worth every penny.
Old Jun 9, 2000, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
My wife is a US flight attendant based in PHL (PHW base). She just did two round-trips on the 330 to FRA and CDG.

Both directions, Envoy was full and there were no more than 3 seats taken in First. Surprised me since I thought all of the full fare Envoy passengers would use their Systemwide upgrades to try first. Just isn't happening.

By the way, the Champagne is Dom (preparation for the UA acquisition perhaps). Two F/As for the 6 seats.

All that said, you'll find the cost of an upgrade from C to F is thousands....
Old Jun 10, 2000, 7:13 am

I've been flying to Europe via the 767s out of Charlotte, so I've yet to experience the A330. I'm not sure when I do whether I'll upgrade to F using the certs or save them so my wife and I can upgrade to Envoy.

If she makes Silver this year and gets her own certs, I guess I can do both!
Old Jun 10, 2000, 10:45 am
dg1

Between my wife (Gold) and I (ChrPrf) we'll have ten system wide upgrade certs. What's the cheapest envoy ticket I can get to SWU us into first? And is it worth it for leisure travel?
Old Jun 12, 2000, 12:24 am

1900 4300

Just to give you an idea of how crazy the fares are to Europe, one-way business class from PHL to Frankfurt is $1,900. First is $4,300.

Hard to justify for leisure travel unless the bucks just don't matter (the old, if you have to ask how much it is....).

To put it in perscpective, PHL-FRA is about a 9 hour flight. Most of my travel is to Asia. LAX-Bangkok is am 18 hour flight, yet business class ROUNT-TRIP is $2,600 and first is $5,500 or so.

Europe is just crazy!!
Old Jun 13, 2000, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I'll ask the check-in agents on the day of travel and see what happens.

DG1
Consider getting tickets from Toronto. The fares from my point of departure (GSO) are $6.1k r/t for J, $8.4k in P. The r/t fares ex-YYZ is $5.7k for P and $2.7k in J so it's cheaper to fly r/t in business out of YYZ than o/w out of the U.S.! This has to do with the CAD/USD exchange rate and that the fact the Canadian economy isn't so robust as the U.S. one and purchasing power is lower.

Always Flyin, how did you get the $1,900 PHL-FRA OW? I only see a fare for $2,800.

[This message has been edited by terenz (edited 06-13-2000).]
Old Jun 13, 2000, 5:48 pm

Just ran it up again, $1,882.40. PHL-FRA, 6/14/00. Business class, one way. From United Connection (not the web version...on UA's disk).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.