Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip Report Part 1: A330 CDG-PHL (On the Ground)

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2000, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Trip Report Part 1: A330 CDG-PHL (On the Ground)

23 May 2000 - US 27 from CDG to PHL on A330

Hmm...in the wake of a US/UA merger, this may not seem half bad, but here goes a little trip report for y'all. Part one contains info about my horrid experiences on the ground, whilst part two addresses the more positive in-flight expeirences. Enjoy!

The flight is scheduled to depart CDG at 12:00 and arrive in PHL at 14:10. I arrive at CDG at about 11:00 to check in for the flight. After going through the little security interview before they let you approach the check-in counter, I made my way to the Envoy lines. The agent called me to the counter and took my ticket, and here's where the fun began. The very first thing she said to me was "Why are you so late?" A bit taken aback, I told her I was on the 12:00 flight to PHL and that I thought checking in an hour prior to the flight was allowing plenty of time. She grunted and then asked my friend for his ticket and passport.

We originally were holding Economy class tickets, but I had phoned quite a while back to upgrade my friend and me to Envoy using systemwide upgrades. But, when the agent printed our boarding cards, she looked very confused. Noting this, I explained that I had two systemwide upgrades that I wanted to use for my companion and me as I handed them over. Then, she got very annoyed (moreso than she was before) and said, "Are you Nathan? (I nodded.) Then you will be the only one travelling in Business today." I asked why and she said it was because I was not allowed to use the systemwide upgade for someone else. Becoming increasingly annoyed myself, I asked to see her supervisor. He came over and reconfirmed what the agent had told me. I grabbed one of the certificates back and pointed out the condition printed on the reverse that said "This certificate is not transferrable but may be used for one companion travelling with you." Even then, both agents said I couldn't use an upgrade for my friend. Both agents raised their voices and were extremely rude to both of us. I continued to argue my point cooly, despite the fumes now erupting inside. Finally, the supervisor said (whilst practically screaming at me), "FINE!! We don't have time to discuss!! Just give them their boarding cards so we can get them out of here!!"

They agent took our checked bags and sent us off to satellite 3 for boarding. I was less than pleased, to say the least. So, off we went, my friend and I, through passport control, through security, and to the gate, where the brand new shiny A330 was boarding. My friend and I boarded through the seperate jetway for Envoy and First.

The flight was delayed three hours due to a mechanical problem with the braking system. So much for the new aircraft being "bug-free". I was not pleased, but I dealt with the delay patiently, as did everyone else on the plane as far as I could tell. The updates on progress were very infrequent, however, which I believe is in violation of the Customer Committment. We finally got off the ground at about 15:10.

Please see Part 2 of this trip report for info about the flight, itself.

Our flight arrived at about 17:15 in PHL. Total flight time of 8:05 with an arrival that was 3:05 behind schedule. Immigation was a breeze. Baggage reclaim took FOREVER, though. The lovely agent in CDG forgot (I'll give her the benefit of the doubt here) to put the Envoy priority tags on our luggage, so we waited about 40 mins to get our bags. It was ridiculous, even without priority handling. We left the baggage reclaim and customs area at about 18:05, only to find a huge, chaotic scene at the domestic connections and baggage re-check desk. There was a flight arriving from FRA at the same time, making matters even worse. Two big flights, one of them with a bunch of misconnecting passengers needing re-accomodation, and not enough people to handle it, as you can imagine!! They really need an Envoy/First re-check line at this point!! At about 18:45, we reached the counter. My friend was re-accomodated on the next flight out to BOS.

I, however, needed to get to SFO. No more flights available. Grr. "We can put you on Northworst or American connecting in Detroit or Chicago respectively and getting you in at about 3:00am, but we can't offer you First Class. I said no thanks. After MUCH arguing (and many memories of CDG rehashed), they agreed to accomodate me in PHL for the night and get me to SFO the next day. The problem is that I was supposed to go from SFO to ERI the next day on my return! Doh. What's more...the only thing available next day is a 14:05 connecting through CLT. "Okay...fine...whatever it takes," I said. With vouchers in hand I left the counter for the hotel shuttle to the Sheraton (formerly Westin) Suites. (I seem to be developing a nastly habit of ending up there because of misconnects in PHL!)

When I get to the hotel, I realise that the agents I dealt with at PHL didn't even tell me exactly which flights I'd been rebooked on. So, I dig out my ticket envelope, and guess what! NO TICKETS!! I have my old PHL-SFO ticket, but no return flights to ERI and no itinerary and no receipt. How much worse can this get??

Well, I phone reservations to at least find out what flights I'm on, and I ask for the number for the Domestic Connections and Baggage Recheck desk at PHL international arrivals. The agent comes back and tells me they've closed. AAAAAHHH!!

This morning (now), I returned to the airport at 6:30am to get the whole matter straight. The agent at the domestic check-in counter was extremely patient and helpful. Many thanks to her (I wish I had the name, but I don't), and hats off to someone who really works for their customers. I thanked her for all her efforts (which took about 45 minutes and the help of one other person to manually re-enter my ticket info), and she said, "That's what I'm paid for!"

So, now I'm here in the PHL US Airways Club typing away. If you happen to be here before about 13:30 today, come over and say Hello to the mishandled passenger on his way to SFO.

------------------
"Visualise whirled peas."

NATHAN PRODUCTIONS
Professional Music, Audio Production, and Website Design
http://www.nathanproductions.com
Old May 24, 2000, 8:16 am
Commander Catcop

You might want to post links to these trip reports under "Trip Reports" becuase a lot of people do not read the US airways forum.

FOr next time: you might put your trips reports under the "Trip Reports forum". It's popular so you might get more readers (and responses) there.
Old May 24, 2000, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA concierge key; marriott premier platinum; United GS; hilton diamond
You are actually lucky to get on the flight. CDG is reknowned for lack of customer service. I have spend 1 1/2 hours there before just getting from check in through passport control and security. Anyone travelling through CDG internationally is wise to give it 2 hours at least
Old May 25, 2000, 10:20 am

PARIS IS THE WORST STATION IN THE US AIRWAYS SYSTEM

Simple as that. I flew CDG-CLT-TPA yesterday, and I must have had the same sourpuss agent that you had...

The day before I called the US Paris office to reconfirm. I was all set, and got my lucky bulkhead center aisle (1C).

Showed up at CDG. After getting through the security question (the guy was friendly!), I went to the agent. Problem: Somehow my reservation was deleted from the computer. Huh? I'm not even holding an eticket! I've got my actual ticket right here! "Sorry, you're not in the computer".

(I realize that it wasn't her fault that my reservation got cancelled, but her treatment was less than professional).

I asked to speak to the supervisor. He said that even though I was holding the ticket, I can't get on the plane. Grrr. I pulled out my CP card and demanded: "I am a CP. I have an full fare Envoy ticket. Get me on the plane!". I then pulled out my cell phone and called CP reservations in the US. The friendly rep immediately saw that somehow the US CTO in Paris screwed up my reservations. She quickly reinstated it.

The agent then printed out my boarding pass and grunted about how I should sprint to the plane.

And, yes, I got the why are you so late treatment. I was there 1.5 hours before...45 mins is the cut off time.

US will be getting a letter about this.

At least when I boarded the 767 (I'd take a 767 over the Airbus just to avoid Phl!) was like transferring from hell to heaven. Since I try to fly out of CLT when possible to avoid the NE, and there are very few CLT int'l FAs, I know them very well. I've traveled with these three Envoy FAs several times in the past. Let's just say that I got slightly better treatment than the rest of the Envoy pax...

BTW, the flight was full in all classes.
Old May 25, 2000, 11:24 am
dg1

Agreed. I've been through CDG once (in steerage) and I was amazed at how rude those agents were. That airport is confusing, and I got my head bit off when I went in through the wrong line or wrong way or something.

You know French people got a reputation, but out of my week in France, those were the only really rude people I ran into.

Old May 26, 2000, 7:31 am

Programs: AA concierge key; marriott premier platinum; United GS; hilton diamond
As an American Ex Patriate living in Paris I agree with you DG1. There are certain French people that have an attitude but most are pretty good. I also find several American employees that have attitudes so it is not only the French!

I heard a greate quote regarding French customer service when I was going through cultural immersion in preparation to move here "In the US the customer is always right, in France not only is the customer not always right, the customer is not always welcome"
Old May 26, 2000, 10:32 am

The annoying thing for me is that I'll have to be visiting my client in Paris at least twice this summer.

I'll keep you updated on my friendly encounters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.